• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

PSA XV15 Then XS30 Now

Here is a graph of response.

The light blue would be the result of putting the sub almost in the back right corner of the room 15.5' back from the front wall.

The dark blue is the current near field position 9.5' back from the front wall.

It seems that if this is accurate, I need to get the sub in or as close to the back right corner as possible.

Attachments

• near vs back corner.gif
    near vs back corner.gif
    65.9 KB · Views: 763
The first thing to do is "build" your room. Decide where the front of the room is and which direction is "X" and which is "Y" ("Z" should be height). Then figure out where you sit in the room, in X & Y, and the height to your ears (probably about 3.5 ft.). Next locate the center of the subs' drivers in your room in all 3 dimensions.

Hit the "Calculate" button for 1 or 1 & 2. BTW, I'm not sure if the light blue graph is for sub #2 alone or for subs 1 & 2 combined. I'm pretty sure it's the latter but I didn't test to confirm this.

John

Up top on the spreadsheet, "Keep Graph As Reference #1" hit this button and that will save your current graph as reference when you make changes (light blue). That is how I am showing current position vs. new position in the graph above that I posted.

I took real measurements of the room today and just what I thought a couple of inches does not change the graph dramatically.

I will get my XS 30 in the back rear corner soon. I ordered a low profile 90 degree RCA Adapter and a 90 degree IEC power cord so that I can get the sub close to the wall. I need to move my media racks, but I think it is possible for me to get it back there.

The performance is great now, I can only imagine how it will sound back there!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

I played around with it a bit but not sure how helpful it will be since the front 7' of my room is 13' wide and then it's 17' wide for the next 15' to the (half) back wall. And then of course there's the fact that it's only a half back wall. Oh well, it's been interesting to mess around with anyway...

Yeah modeling the CMonster's Lair would be pretty difficult w/ that spreadsheet. I forgot about that.

John

Here is a new graph showing One sub in Light Blue in the rear right corner of the room.

The dark blue is with 2 subs, one as above and the 2nd, 6' back on the right wall.

Attachments

• 2 subs on right side wall  vs one in back corner b.gif
    2 subs on right side wall vs one in back corner b.gif
    66.1 KB · Views: 655
^ So the big question is how accurate is this simulator??? :happy-smileygiantred:

It's official - my three XV15s will be going to a new home on Sunday. I may need to temporarily drag the SVS PB2-Plus (aka PB12-Plus/2) to the HT until I figure out what to get next. I'm hoping to hear a JTR Orbit Shifter this weekend.

orbitshiftLF.jpg

I don't think that's a model I'm really interested in but I'm anxious to see/hear a JTR product.

CMonster said:
It's official - my three XV15s will be going to a new home on Sunday.
I didn't know you were that unhappy with those. Hopefully, you didn't lose too much money on the deal.

Have you ever thought about an IB setup? Do you have the room/space for such a thing?

Zing said:
Have you ever thought about an IB setup? Do you have the room/space for such a thing?

There is a decent-sized storage room behind one wall of the HT. Woofer locations would be somewhat limited. I'm hoping to get some quick measurements with the XV15s placed at possible locations for an IB setup. I'm also not very confident in my ability to pull off implementation of an IB.

Zing said:
I didn't know you were that unhappy with those.

I was listening to music a couple of weeks ago and the bass just seemed a bit boomy. Perhaps they could've been dialed in better but trying to get three subs working perfectly together isn't an easy task. Maybe the space is an issue with the back of the HT being open to the rest of the basement. Finally, I'm interested in trying something new just for the heck of it.

^ Bass traps did wonders in my HT. Wall to ceiling in the front to corners.

The more and more I research bass performance and the experiment we did at Johns GTG, the quality of the sub plays a big part, however the room and treatments pull much more weight.

CMonster said:
Perhaps they could've been dialed in better but trying to get three subs working perfectly together isn't an easy task. Maybe the space is an issue with the back of the HT being open to the rest of the basement.
Perhaps. I know what a pain it was working with two. I'd be lying if I told you I never thought to myself 'Maybe I made a mistake.' But once I got past it, I never looked back and haven't regretted it. So I can only imagine how difficult three must have been to tame.

And while there's a lot of validity to Heeman's comments about further bass trapping - of which I'm sure Jamhead would agree with - my personal experience leads me to also suggest a sealed sub. I was very surprised at how much tighter the bass in my room seemed by only changing subs. OK, so I added a second sub too but I noticed the difference before I connected the second one.

CMonster said:
Finally, I'm interested in trying something new just for the heck of it.
There's nothing wrong with that, in my book.

CMonster said:
I'm also not very confident in my ability to pull off implementation of an IB.
Chuck, I've seen what you've done with your basement setup (and your deck!). The only area you may have trouble with is amp/crossover specifics, and there's enough experts on this forum to step you thru this part. Go for it!

Ex-pert - definition: X = an unknown quantity; Spurt = a Drip under pressure. :happy-smileygiantred:

Back