• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Official Sim Racing Thread

Oh boy...I think this GT Lite thing will get added to my Nice To Have's list and maybe it'll show up in my house in the next year.

Way better without out the centre post!!! You gotta hate it though when your 16 year old who doesn't have his license yet beats your best time by 10 seconds in his bare feet. Little bastard!!!

Dude
10yr olds with a controller are likely faster than you and I with our wheels and experience.

Oh boy...I think this GT Lite thing will get added to my Nice To Have's list and maybe it'll show up in my house in the next year.
If you're open to a gently used one at a generous discount, I know someone who may be upgrading soon.

And Mike, add me to the list as well (for column removal). You'd think the "official" game would have a more accurate representation. I think they should have made it translucent with a nod towards transparent. But Codemasters didn't ask me. If they had, I would've told them "I don't care what you do with the column but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD EASE UP ON TRACK LIMIT PENALTIES!"

If you're open to a gently used one at a generous discount, I know someone who may be upgrading soon.

And Mike, add me to the list as well (for column removal). You'd think the "official" game would have a more accurate representation. I think they should have made it translucent with a nod towards transparent. But Codemasters didn't ask me. If they had, I would've told them "I don't care what you do with the column but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD EASE UP ON TRACK LIMIT PENALTIES!"
For now I mostly just do time trials. I get that constant message " this lap and the next will not count" or something like that!!! Crap!!

For now I mostly just do time trials. I get that constant message " this lap and the next will not count" or something like that!!! Crap!!

Same
100% Time Trials
70% Invalidated Laps

I’m following the F1 schedule and spend the week running exclusively on whatever track they‘ll be at on the weekend. On off-weeks I’ll run a track that’s not on the schedule. This week is an off week so I’m doing time trials at Canada until Sunday. Next week will be Silversone.

I’m following the F1 schedule and spend the week running exclusively on whatever track they‘ll be at on the weekend. On off-weeks I’ll run a track that’s not on the schedule. This week is an off week so I’m doing time trials at Canada until Sunday. Next week will be Silversone.
Weird. Me too.

Last edited:
This is split off from the PS5 thread, and is dedicated to racing games.

Looks like I should update my setup image. I could no longer stand having it my living room so I sacrificed a table I was using in my home office, bought a new TV and moved everything upstairs.

51288496207_283b9c4155_b.jpg

So I've been playing the Mafia trilogy (new "definitive edition") and there's a lot - I mean A LOT - of driving in these games. Basically it's: 1) drive over to some person who wants to talk about a job; 2) drive over to the job site; 3) kill a bunch of people; 4) destroy or steal some shit; 5) drive back to report job completion; 6) rinse and repeat. (But I'm a REAL gangsta now, baby!)

I will say - driving with a keyboard and mouse kinda sucks, when looking at these cool setups.

I‘ve been looking to build a PC but decent graphics cgraphics cards are the one thing even more unobtainable than PS5s.
For many years I bought individual components and built my own PCs. But this last time around, when spec'ing out a gaming rig (not super high end, but far from low end either), it just didn't make sense to buy components. So I bought an Alienware (Dell) Aurora for ~2/3rds of the price I would have had to pay for equivalent individual parts. Literally half the price was the GPU (GTX 1080 Ti which was $1k at the time), but with the rest of the system (SSD+HDD, good power supply, etc.) and with the warranty you don't get with building your own, $2k for the thing just made sense.

Mind you, this was ~2.5 years ago now, I think. I don't know what the current market is. But I'm very happy with my machine, it's still keeping up just fine with current games.

Based on the hardware I want I'd end up saving about $1,000 building myself. Of course I'd be foregoing any support ... so there's that.

Graphics cards are exceedingly hard to come by so it's moot ATM.

Based on the hardware I want I'd end up saving about $1,000 building myself.
Really? Wow, you must be looking at some pretty high end stuff. Or else the pre-built market really sucks right now, dunno.

Really? Wow, you must be looking at some pretty high end stuff. Or else the pre-built market really sucks right now, dunno.

The GPU is the ridiculous thing ... RTX 3080 or 3090 cards are generally NOT available and if you win a lottery to buy one from a reputable dealer they're selling for well over $2,000.

The rest of the wish list retails around $2,000 and includes:
Intel 10900K processor with 75 CFM liquid cooler
Z590 mobo
16GB DDR4-3600 memory
500GB m.2
2TB m.2
850 watt power supply
multi-gig NIC
Full tower case

Is the F1 game enjoyable playing with an Xbox or PS controller? I might be willing to give it a try, but not sure I have the room or time to setup one of the sim rigs like several of you have.

Also, I see that F1 2021 comes out soon. I am hoping 2020 comes to Game Pass after it 2021 is released.

The GPU is the ridiculous thing ... RTX 3080 or 3090 cards are generally NOT available and if you win a lottery to buy one from a reputable dealer they're selling for well over $2,000.
Wow. Ok, that sucks. Well my goal was/is 60fps @ 1080p (which is pretty modest by current standards); I guess if you're going for 120+fps @ 4k then one of these massive new GPUs would be necessary.

Is the F1 game enjoyable playing with an Xbox or PS controller? I might be willing to give it a try, but not sure I have the room or time to setup one of the sim rigs like several of you have.

While some people spend hours and hours per session on these things I'm not that guy. Most of the time I don't do more than 10 laps at a time. Since I'm not using our main TV I just pause and walk away and come back for another 10 laps when I feel like it. I'm sure I'd be faster if i dedicated more time to it but I'm not that into it. I know I'm never going to be competitive with those 10 year old kids, or those with more talent and time than I have, so I essentially just compete with myself. I enjoy setting new personal best lap times and progressing.

I had a lot of fun with the Xbox controller but I'm just not capable of being very smooth and consistent with the little analog sticks which got frustrating.

Wow. Ok, that sucks. Well my goal was/is 60fps @ 1080p (which is pretty modest by current standards); I guess if you're going for 120+fps @ 4k then one of these massive new GPUs would be necessary.

I'd eventually like to upgrade to a three-monitor or 49" ultrawide setup.
I'd also like to try MS Flight Simulator which is by all accounts a total graphics hog.

But the real reason for the 3080/3090 GPU is that I do NOT enjoy building/modding PCs and once I get one up and running I won't want to have to mess with the GPU for as long as possible.

I'd eventually like to upgrade to a three-monitor or 49" ultrawide setup.
I'd also like to try MS Flight Simulator which is by all accounts a total graphics hog.

But the real reason for the 3080/3090 GPU is that I do NOT enjoy building/modding PCs and once I get one up and running I won't want to have to mess with the GPU for as long as possible.
My son has MS Flight simulator and it can be done in VR. Wish I could tell you his card and what kind of FPS he is getting but I don't know off the top of my head. He got CH products pedal, yoke and throttle controls off an aviation enthusiast on Kijiji who gave him a great deal. VR, as I have said in the past is trippy but with my janky, ageing vestibular system it doesn't agree with my stomach after awhile!!

Back