• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My Upcoming Bestseller

Great News,

I am psyched. Having never been to a GTG with you Jeff, I have not had the pleasure of hearing your stories and not had the pleasure of experiencing your apparently epic story telling abilities.

I do however look forward to someday ebing able to read them.

Nice, looking forward to reading it.

Cool!
My ex-GF went thru the entire process of publishing a book (a textbook on Nursing Assisting) and it fascinated me watching the whole process. Let us know when Ordering is ready! :music-rockout:

An update...

Not much was done over the Summer - as planned.

However the publisher and I have been back at it since September.

The text has been edited once more. No changes of real substance, basically a few dozen "stylistic" word changes. All 107 stories remain essentially as written almost a year ago. With the text now "put to bed" internal layout and design has begun.

Photo selection is complete - including the author's photo. (For closure sake - re thread in Photography section - one of Zing's has been chosen!)

Cover design is proceeding. Publisher is going with an expired-copyright work of art. I kinda like his choice; with but a little thought it suits the book's overall theme nicely.

ISBN numbers will soon be assigned to the print and e-versions.

I've registered the domain http://www.jeffmackwood.com and an "under construction" page is posted. I've storyboarded how I want the site and I'll flesh it out once the book's release is closer at hand. I'd debated whether to make the web site book-centric or not, but in the end I've decided to start with me being the "brand" - with the first expression of that brand being Most of These Stories Are Somewhat True. It would then not be inappropriate to populate the web site with other content in future, in keeping with that brand.

Speaking of release date, I remain hopeful that copies will be available in time for Christmas (this year!) but, as previously posted, that could slide into next year.

I've been looking into a variety of ways to promote the book locally once it is released. I'm not averse to the more traditional readings and signings, which I will do, but I've got some other ideas more in keeping with me, my brand. Here's a couple of to-be-fleshed-out ideas. Let me know what you think.

1. I'm going to offer a personalized delivery and home reading service. For the price of the book, plus the equivalent cost of postage, I will show up at an Ottawa home, read a story of my choosing, and sign the copy of the book. I'll read an extra story for every book bought, so people can gather together neighbours, card club members, etc. It won't make money, but coupled with local news coverage it will generate interest and awareness in the book, and that could lead to increased online sales.

2. I'm going to offer to do free visits and readings at seniors' homes. I've been wanting to do more such volunteer work and the book becomes a tool to get me doing it. I have musician friends who go in and do sing-alongs etc.; I think providing some entertainment and laughs for the residents through story telling would work as well.

Regards.

Jeff

Congrats and Thank You, was wondering how this was coming along. :handgestures-thumbup:

JeffMackwood said:
I've been looking into a variety of ways to promote the book locally once it is released. I'm not averse to the more traditional readings and signings, which I will do, but I've got some other ideas more in keeping with me, my brand.
Done the right way, there's more than a few pics in the GTG section that could propel you into the Stratosphere of Fame. ;)

Jeff, I want a copy as soon as its out. And maybe you can visit here in Kyle when they put me in an old folks home. Would love to hear your stories & listen to some of your friends play a tune or two would be icing on the cake.

Update:

As somewhat predicted the book is now almost certainly not going to be available for sale before Xmas. However it will be ready very soon thereafter.

Right now I'm expecting to receive a proof copy from the printer within the next week or so. Because of the time of year it's taking longer than usual. I'll read through it, note any needed changes, and then pass it to my publisher. He'll do the same. If no changes are needed then it will be available almost immediately. If some are, then we'll upload a revised master, review it online, and then approve it for print.

By available immediately I mean through the likes of amazon.com.

However I'm also planning to offer author-signed copies directly.

Two reasons: some folks might want signed copies and I can make a bit of cash that way. (Royalties through Amazon sales will be quite low per copy.)

So a question for you folks. If I were to offer signed copies for sale direct from me, would you be interested? Basically it will be $20 for the book plus postage/shipping. Payment would be made either by Interac e-transfer, or through PayPal, directly to my email address. As soon as I get the proof copy I'll go to the post office and find out how much it will be to mail it within Canada and to the US. I'll get a cost for regular airmail and express.

Not looking for any firm commitments. Just wondering if this option appeals to anyone.

Jeff

Sure, I'd much rather have that than a generic unsigned copy.

I'd like a signed copy as well, just hope the author picture isn't someone wearing a Robin outfit. :eusa-whistle:

I would luv a signed copy!

I would also like to purchase one for my brother, I am hoping you remember him from Zing's 50th??? He was very interested in so many that attended. I shared your book venture and he was enlightened with what you were setting out to accomplish.

Put Babs in for two, please.

Thanks folks. I'll let everyone know when I finally get printed copies in hand.

I liken the writing and publishing of a book to building a house. I've never done the latter but I'm told that the foundation and framing goes really fast, and the rest takes longer. The final details take the longest.

With the book, the actual writing (the foundation and framing - so to speak) was a breeze. The editing (third party) took much longer. The cover and body design took some time, as did getting the ISBN and library cataloguing. The final editing (a few passes) still longer. We're not at the print proof stage - which is really just editing (again) but with the actual physical book in hand.

Today, even before the proof has arrived, I did an iteration with the publisher to change something on both the cover, and interior cover, that had been nagging at me from the back of my mind. Details, details, details!

I recall talking to Zing during his (relatively) long album production process and that, to some extent, has inured me to the process to some extent. Thanks Zing!

I have been fortunate that my publisher has been very responsive throughout this whole process. Once we got started in earnest back in September he's looked after things immediately and as I have requested.

Regards.

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
Thanks folks. I'll let everyone know when I finally get printed copies in hand.

I liken the writing and publishing of a book to building a house. I've never done the latter but I'm told that the foundation and framing goes really fast, and the rest takes longer. The final details take the longest.

With the book, the actual writing (the foundation and framing - so to speak) was a breeze. The editing (third party) took much longer. The cover and body design took some time, as did getting the ISBN and library cataloguing. The final editing (a few passes) still longer. We're not at the print proof stage - which is really just editing (again) but with the actual physical book in hand.

Today, even before the proof has arrived, I did an iteration with the publisher to change something on both the cover, and interior cover, that had been nagging at me from the back of my mind. Details, details, details!

I recall talking to Zing during his (relatively) long album production process and that, to some extent, has inured me to the process to some extent. Thanks Zing!

I have been fortunate that my publisher has been very responsive throughout this whole process. Once we got started in earnest back in September he's looked after things immediately and as I have requested.

Regards.

Jeff
I'm guessing your book has few, if any, illustrations/photos; that was another HUGE time, editing and money commitment on the ex's books. Glad you're in the home stretch! :music-rockout:

Back