• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My Upcoming Bestseller

D

Deleted member 133

Folks,

After musing about it for at least a few years, and talking to one or two of you about it at various GTGs, and after being thoroughly inspired by the creative genius amongst us by the name of Zing, I have finally decided to write my book.

While it is early going at this point, I can tell you that it will be a collection of short stories and tales, some somewhat tall, based largely on my life, travels, and adventures.

This should come as no surprise given my proclivity for story telling.

Stories (and musings / observations etc.) will run anywhere from one to a few pages long.

An example, for those who have heard it, will be "Super Mike."

My timeline (again tentative - but I need to have some goals in mind) is as follows:

I will be collecting story ideas until August 30th (I started last week). My goal is to have at least 100 usable ones in hand by then. As of this posting I have 76.

I plan to start writing on September 1st and be done writing by Xmas. I plan to dedicate at least 2 hours per day, Monday - Friday, during that period. I expect that the act of writing each story will jog memories that will lead to more story ideas, but regardless, writing will cease by Xmas.

Over the Xmas holiday I plan to arrange the stories into what I think is a good order and then hand it off to a friend, who is a great copy editor, for a first edit. That could take a month or so. I will then likely hire another professional editor to go through the whole thing again.

During that time I'll then start to get serious about looking into publishing, but my goal, even if I have to self-publish a first edition, is to have actual hard copies ready by June 2015.

I am under no illusions of what I am embarking on here. This may amount to nothing more than a "vanity" publication. If I manage to stage several local book signings and sell a hundred copies in total, I'll be more than happy. What I am most interested in doing, to be completely honest, is in being able to hand copies of the book to my kids and grandkid(s), so that years after I'm long gone, they can crack the pages and get a good laugh from some of the things that amused me so.

I'm starting this thread largely as a "now you can't quit" reminder to myself.

Wish me luck!

Jeff

ps. I guarantee that some of you will probably see your (first) name in a story or two! :)

That's FUCKING awesome!! Best of luck with that, I for one, would look forward to that read! :eusa-clap:

Awesome! Sounds like fun. I'd definitely buy a copy. :)

This is terrific news, Jeff! I'm excited for you. I might be inclined to host one of your American book-signing events. :bow-blue:

JeffMackwood said:
I'm starting this thread largely as a "now you can't quit" reminder to myself.
I can't stress the importance of this principle. Good move. :eusa-clap:

:text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

(there's a treasure-trove of possible cover photos in the Bats GTG threads... :mrgreen: )

Good luck Jeff!! Sounds like quite the undertaking. After buying Matt's dad's book online you might want to check out the website where I bought it.
http://www.lulu.com/ca/
It's basically a site for self publishing. Just thought I would throw it out there!!
Mike

Well Jeff, simply after hearing all the stories of your story telling I am always wanting to make a GTG you are attending. I think this is a great idea and I look forward to seeing a copy so even if I cant hear the stories first hand from the man himself, I can read of you radventures.

Great idea and press on. Best of luck with your project.

Thanks everyone.

I should add that I intend to keep it somewhat "clean" as well.

And self-deprecation will be ok; self-incrimination: not. :)

So while "The Snap of Rubber Gloves" will be in, "GBAF" (which I told at the last Bats GTG) will not. For it, and some others, you will have to attend a GTG!

Jeff

My younger brother and his family are in town for the weekend. It's been a year since we've been together.

I told them about my book plans and my brother immediately reminded me of four excellent stories (all true!) that he remembers from decades ago, and which I had totally forgotten. Fun thing was that he remembered them (slightly) differently than I (now) do, because, in one notable case, he was a spectator to the actual event: "Size 6 Lady's Footprints on the Inside Roof of Dad's Car." :)

Geez, this could be a productive long weekend of reminiscing and story gathering!

Jeff

Is it going to be written in Canadian? I don't think I'm very proficient in reading Canadian. Hopefully the second printing will come out in English.

Seriously, good luck Jeff! I've never met you, but I've heard that you do tell a pretty good story.

Botch said:
Check your PMs, dibs on the movie rights.

That's how it works? Damn. All these years I could have called "dibs" on the movie rights for all the great novels I've read and would be a billionaire today.

Fantastic day today at a big annual family gathering at a cottage on a beautiful lake.

One of the newcomers to the group is an ex-Brit who's now the boyfriend of one of my cousins. Anyhow, just talking to him about London brought back memories of four great stories, the best being "Draped across Rod Stewart's Bentley."

Jeff

ps. One of my stories ("The Smell of Curry") will deal an unusual medical event that I experienced back in 1999 that led, temporarily, to a total loss of memory. When my memory eventually returned (within 24 hours) I knew that not everything was restored. While it's hard to know what you've forgotten when you don't remember it, the whole first part of this exercise - story recall - is proving to be extremely therapeutic. It's amazing how a recollection or stimulus from someone else is triggering flash memories that I did not know I had. This is not the same as simply remembering something. I do it the same way as anyone else almost all of the time. But sometimes an entire previously "lost" memory literally pops into my mind - almost with a punch. And as far as I can tell, all of those kinds of recalled memories are pre-1999. Way cool and not something that I set out to do, nor that I expected to have happen.

this is so cool. :handgestures-thumbup:

is this a collective of your own stories, or stories of people who you have met along the road?

i'll try to stick around in this thread, hoping that i can help as well motivate you on your journey.

thank you for sharing!

Fantastic idea Jeff, two questions for you. Will there be any pics or graphic illustrations for MattB, also will you be doing the reading for the book on tape version? Is "book on tape" even a relevant term anymore?

TitaniumTroy said:
Fantastic idea Jeff, two questions for you. Will there be any pics or graphic illustrations for MattB, also will you be doing the reading for the book on tape version? Is "book on tape" even a relevant term anymore?
Write first. Publish second.

I have some early ideas re illustrations.

I will be doing signings and readings. I'm sure a version for the visually impaired is possible.

I will consider turning it into a one man play.

Jeff

Just started a trip to Poland and Hungary.

It's amazing how productive one can be while seated in the cramped confines of economy class surrounded by screaming kids! :)

I came up with 14 story ideas during my flight into Frankfurt. No surprise that many of them are travel-related. That brings the total usable count to 105!

I just might start actual story writing earlier than first planned - when I return from my trip.

Jeff

Well I decided to stay on schedule and spent the last couple of weeks in August with my notebook set mostly aside, and resting my two typing fingers.

And that schedule says "start writing September 1st" so I spent this afternoon writing up "A Son's Duty" - which is a story that includes the word-for-word eulogy that I delivered to my Mom a few years ago. But within that eulogy there's a separate short tale that, had it not been included in the eulogy, would have made it on its one. So the first day of writing produced a two-fer!

I've got just over 80 "writing days" (ie. Monday to Friday) between now and Xmas to cover what I hope will be 110-120 stories. Some will take the full 2-3 hours to write up - like today's. It should be easy to do the shorter ones two-a-day.

In other words I'm off, running (writing), and on target!

Jeff

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Back