• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My Upcoming Bestseller

Thanks to the three volunteers so far. I'll go at least another week to see if any others step up, before I write up "Maxi-Me."

I've just finished another productive week of writing. Even though I missed Monday due to a bunch of other things that I needed to get done, I made up for it and am now at 55 stories written, including the two I'd meant to do last week.

A few of the stories brought back some neat childhood memories, including "There's Quartz in Them Thar Hills."

"Muddy Footprints" (on the ceiling of Dad's car) brought back late-teen memories of a different sort.

For future stories, I've been agonizing a bit on how to present "Corporal Punishment" - which is about my childhood experiences in a French Catholic grade school system. I know not every chosen subject is going to be outright funny, but I figure at least some folks will be able to relate to days gone by when getting "the strap" was but one of the things you worried about when called down to the principal's office. Heck I find the symbolism-laced methods of punishment to be laughable - in some dark way. So I'll probably give it a shot next week.

"Shower Stall" - about just that in a hotel in Paris - is a short one (pun intended) that I'll probably do as well.

And then there's "The Vasectomy" which I've been saving. I'm actually chuckling about that one as I type this post since I've just thought of a way to incorporate other material that needed a good home into it.

I wish you all another great weekend.

Jeff

I think I'd enjoy getting a peak at "Maxi-Me" also Jeff...

Batman said:
I think I'd enjoy getting a peak at "Maxi-Me" also Jeff...
DUDE! Did you read that back to yourself before submitting? No, I don't think you did.

Yeah that was bad... :eusa-whistle:

:laughing-lettersrofl:

"Maxi-Me" is written! The first draft that is.

Last call for volunteers, from those who were there at the time, to get a sneak peak at it.

So far I have Bats, Heeman, Babs, and PaulyT.

Anyone else?

Jeff

With no more takers, "Maxi-Me" has just been sent to the four who volunteered.

So far this has been my most productive week of writing (and it's not finished yet!)

Jeff

Once again I'm done for the week. It's now officially the Thanksgiving long weekend up here in Canada, so I won't be back at it until next Tuesday.

As mentioned yesterday it's been a great week of writing. Not just in terms of quantity (I now have 70 tales written) but also in terms of quality. I think I've turned out some really good ones this week. As well as "Maxi-Me" there was "The Pearls," "Cream Pie," "Honda Meets Datsun," "Lights, Camera, Cut!," and "Paris Shower Stall" to name a few.

Time for a cold one (or three).

Jeff

I'm knocking off a little early today and calling it a week.

Even though I did not write on Monday, I made up for it through the rest of the week and now have 84 tales done. (In case anyone missed it, by "done" I mean first draft written and I've given them a quick editing. There's still a lot of editing to come after December 24th, when I stop writing new stories.)

Speaking of editors, I have been looking ahead and have just gotten someone to agree to be "second editor" of the whole book. I'm hoping to have a "first editor" on board in the next week or two. Basically the latter will be focussed on grammar, spelling, structure, core style etc. while the former will be looking at content and overall look and feel (including story order) and continuity.

Some of this week's story highlights include "Bavarian Beer Tour," "Boeing, Boeing, Gone!" "Hilton Hookers," and "Singapore Satisfaction" (Parts 1 & 2).

That last one should not be confused with "Four Floors of Whores" which I'll probably do next week.

Jeff

Well I've got a busy Friday afternoon and evening coming up so after half a morning of writing I've decided to quit for the week.

I'm now at 98 tales written. As I go through my writer's notebook of story ideas, I think I have, at most, 5 more to do. Throughout this process I have worked through the list combined multiple ideas into single stories, and as I've been finding my "style" and overall tone of the stories, and therefore the book, there's a few that I simply won't write up. (Perhaps, many years from now, there will be a special "R" rated re-release.)

So in all likelihood I'll be finished all of the first drafts by the end of next week - which is two months ahead of my original schedule. I'm sure the odd new tale will still come to mind but this means that I'll be moving to the editing and re-writing stage much sooner than first planned.

Jeff

I wrote up another seven (7) tales this week, and as I mentioned last time I think that might be just about it. I've got another fourteen (14) story ideas in my notebook but, to be honest, I don't think I can spin them to the quality level that I'd want. Maybe with some combining and what-not there might be a couple of more there, but for now I'm happy with the one hundred and five (105) that I've now got drafted.

Other than a quick down and back to Syracuse on Sunday to watch my Carleton Ravens men's basketball team play the Orangemen, I intend to stay home this weekend, put on the gas fireplace, put my feet up, and read someone else's book!

Jeff

Well I spent the first half of November waiting to hear back from the person who I was hoping to be first editor of the book, and the second half doing that editing myself after she said she wouldn't be able to.

While I still have several hours of work ahead to type up the changes I've made (I can only edit half-decently using hardcopy), I'm now glad I did this phase myself. I'm feeling better than ever about the stories that I've put together.

Once re-typed, I'm going to assemble the stories in my chosen order of appearance in the book, and then turn them over to my (confirmed) "second" editor who will work with me over the next couple of months or so to get the whole thing into manuscript shape. I expect this to be a fairly gruelling iterative process. I'm looking forward to it!

Jeff

An update...

Soon after my last post, I turned the draft manuscript over to my editor. Given the upcoming Xmas holidays etc. we had a rough understanding that it could take her up to 2 months to have a thorough go at it.

We touched base this week and she's on track to complete it in a couple of weeks. Needless to say I'm really looking forward to getting together with her.

Bottom line: things remain on target.

Jeff

I got back the edited manuscript today. My editor has done a fantastic job.

There's basically three kinds of things that she's done:

1. Detailed editing of the original text that improves each and every story. I can pretty much "accept" all of those changes that she's made.

2. She's added comments throughout to indicate where she feels I need to do some re-writing to clarify things etc. to improve the read. I've had a quick look at them and they're all great points that I will address.

3. She's provided some key comments on how to improve the book overall. While we'll need to discuss / iterate on these, I've already fleshed out suggestions on how to handle all of them.

I'm keen to get back at this starting tomorrow. I should have the next draft of the book ready, with all changes and comments addressed and ready for her and I to meet to go over them, in 1-2 weeks.

Jeff

^ wow things are moving right along....very anxious to read the entire thing!

Back