• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Official Sim Racing Thread

Zing

Retired Admin
Superstar
Some might say it was inevitable.

Others might say I was steered into it.

I say none of it matters.

What does matter is how much fun I'm having.

You may recall, recently, I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to buy a PS5.

I took full advantage of that opportunity.

I bought a few games but, unsurprisingly, gravitated toward only one.

Then I bought what some might call a "gaming chair".

Others might call it a cockpit.

51166582357_5315f6f478_h.jpg

I am insanely jealous.
I'm not a gamer but I've always wanted to sim race. You've inspired me to dip my toe in and give it a shot (on a more humble rig that is).

Does PS5 do VR at all? Seems like a driving game in VR would be particularly awesome.
Yes and no, is the short answer.

Slightly longer answer is there is a PSVR system that was developed for the PS4. It does work on the PS5 but there are issues and limitations and, of course, doesn't work on all games. Sony is currently developing a brand new PSVR system specifically for the PS5 that should be free of any and all issues and limitations.

I am insanely jealous.
I'm not a gamer but I've always wanted to sim race. You've inspired me to dip my toe in and give it a shot (on a more humble rig that is).
I've inspired you? Interesting.

I've tried my son's VR rally racing. I just about hurled. Some how my age and more likely my glasses under the VR goggles conspire against me.

Is that the Next Level f gtlite?
It is indeed. I chose it because of its formula style seating configuration AND because it's foldable. The theory was if we have company, I can conveniently remove it from the living room and store it out of the way. As is often the case, theory is vastly different than practice. So I'm considering rearranging my home office to make room for the seat I want, not the seat that I (theoretically) should have.

It is indeed. I chose it because of its formula style seating configuration AND because it's foldable. The theory was if we have company, I can conveniently remove it from the living room and store it out of the way. As is often the case, theory is vastly different than practice. So I'm considering rearranging my home office to make room for the seat I want, not the seat that I (theoretically) should have.
I have seen lots of pics of DIY racing rigs, using abs or pvc pipe for the cockpit, wit instructions on exactly how to build it. Some of these guys suggest going to an autowreckers and pulling a seat from your fav sports car and using that. If I ever did that I would be racing in the garage!! A comfortable seat is key.

I have seen lots of pics of DIY racing rigs, using abs or pvc pipe for the cockpit, wit instructions on exactly how to build it. Some of these guys suggest going to an autowreckers and pulling a seat from your fav sports car and using that. If I ever did that I would be racing in the garage!! A comfortable seat is key.
My current seat is not uncomfortable at all. I like everything about it but two things: as mentioned, it's not quite as convenient to fold and store as I hoped it would be, and it doesn't place the pedals above the hips as you'd find in an F1 car. The Playseat Formula however, is three times the cost of the Next Level F-GT Lite, replicates an F1 cockpit perfectly and is not foldable.

playseat_-f1-red-17th-place-m3-magazine-2014_2.jpg

My current seat is not uncomfortable at all. I like everything about it but two things: as mentioned, it's not quite as convenient to fold and store as I hoped it would be, and it doesn't place the pedals above the hips as you'd find in an F1 car. The Playseat Formula however, is three times the cost of the Next Level F-GT Lite, replicates an F1 cockpit perfectly and is not foldable.

playseat_-f1-red-17th-place-m3-magazine-2014_2.jpg
Good for F1. Not so much if you wanna rally down a dirt road in a modified Opel shifting with a foot clutch and separate stick shift...but I get your point!!

Good for F1. Not so much if you wanna rally down a dirt road in a modified Opel shifting with a foot clutch and separate stick shift...but I get your point!!

That’s what’s awesome about the F-GT Lite. Its not as sexy and no one would reasonably call it portable, but you can configure it either formula or GT driving positions.

That’s what’s awesome about the F-GT Lite. Its not as sexy and no one would reasonably call it portable, but you can configure it either formula or GT driving positions.
I think Zing may have stated that the F-GT Lite can't quite approximate the F1 position. But it would do the job for me!!:D

I think Zing may have stated that the F-GT Lite can't quite approximate the F1 position. But it would do the job for me!!:D
It's close. Close enough, in fact. It's just not quite as exact as others. But those others can't accommodate other seating sims as well as the F-GT.

fgt_lite_gallery_1.png

fgt_lite_gallery_6.png

I place the blame squarely on Zing!!! :rofl:Still haven't really dialed in my ideal racing position. Problem being, 4 different people say "Hey can I have a turn!!" Seems I need to figure out some way to mark where the adjustments go for each person, or at the very least for me and the rest of them be damned!! Still a helluva lot more comfortable and stable than a folding chair and a tv tray. Wheels, peddles and shift are Logitech G25.
PFFdDLfhS_U_azo6puPwFXQ4CCkCHZGtgtjUDPEwCOp4Fjr6vXrZCOCDQO7GpOahmQ07hhctxvIuccZ79c5joR5IuAoVDJaamZPUN2hZ84zYxkGy8uxksl6h3YdrnQBa5OkmxbGSN4XO6YcO1SByCdfhEloYZIo7nCrWuoMYEN6CFJVbKPL6LQPycs6ID8CemAG7Avyej1PL72-3IT3Tw81u8O1OrAqgO-FpA4xcRCj2PBroGO2kgFM6kuXfQv18F_kwNXT8cOWmEr8elO8Rlegn2O7ChRhO79_4krmJyZQrE02WnVYWG-wJoY27fLtEwd0s_EwyPYWWMH2rREAR5ajPthwW04whwIK4SbQnMV30n0QfpSHnmdNIYRktqzzLvz3ckG15f-SBDIJV-Qn7s0Bhv9-6LftrJLo0QW7gQGZnMucs0AbZP5wL4376kq-INn008L2EpbLeRsnsX3DlvnxaUqKpVaWhhOkVP6rd17jZ-NplwlCqZorsTJSpGSo_ksLdw4AJRDr7K6Tu-c-kPtElxrKhNE99zh7SYnVECHH1vZrrKs789DStLZ2NC8ic99RjLj67nxo9kMbMfcWZBZfDilkCwh5QqoyFEqoR5wW2G61NuAIlsguoDncAhXPaPDzHOxfHl7lzmeBj0WQvXkJL6AVZHqwVBPJLLQr4UVvw957qwK7ZXz79r80pt-V5J649jDF8pXUVSeNZOosLr_pZ=w1599-h899-no

Daughter at the wheel.

Last edited:
Back