• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?

Seems to me that the best of the DC based movies are their own stories and don’t try to connect to a larger DCU string of movies. They could all be “elseworlds“ going forward in my opinion.

If they are going to reboot all of it then Mamoa and Gadot have to go as well. And quite frankly they should tie the Reeves Batman in with it all so as to stop the foolishness.
I pretty much liked all the films for different reasons except for WW84 and am sad to see that cast go.

I don’t get all the extreme love for the Nolan trilogy, first one was good, second was really good and the third was a huge pile of almost unwatchable shit. Bale was “ok” at best for me personally, I enjoyed Aflecks older Miller style more and the warehouse scene in BvsS is probably my favorite Batman movie scene of all.

Watched Top Gun: Maverick last night, and didn't realize the version streaming on Paramount+ was Imax Enhanced. Guess the disk is also the same way, and full screen scenes look amazing. I wasn't planning on buying the disk, but I just may have to for that reason alone.

Saw The Whale with my girlfriend this morning in the theater it was pretty incredible IMO. We were both shaken up a little by it. Super simple setting the whole movie (based on a play which makes sense) basically took place in a small apartment but it's very far from a simple story. Intense, occasionally very uncomfortable to watch but powerful and Brendan Frasier's performance is definitely deserving of all the Oscar buzz. I might never watch it again because it was pretty draining but I am very glad I watched it once. Maybe the most powerful little movie and acting performance I have seen in as long as I can remember.

Saw The Whale with my girlfriend this morning in the theater it was pretty incredible IMO. We were both shaken up a little by it. Super simple setting the whole movie (based on a play which makes sense) basically took place in a small apartment but it's very far from a simple story. Intense, occasionally very uncomfortable to watch but powerful and Brendan Frasier's performance is definitely deserving of all the Oscar buzz. I might never watch it again because it was pretty draining but I am very glad I watched it once. Maybe the most powerful little movie and acting performance I have seen in as long as I can remember.
Is it streaming? I would like to watch it as well.

That's the kind of review I've seen all over the place for this. Will keep an eye out for it to hit a streaming platform Im subscribed to.

That's the kind of review I've seen all over the place for this. Will keep an eye out for it to hit a streaming platform Im subscribed to.
I haven't gotten emotional in a movie theater since I saw Saving Private Ryan when it was released and observed multiple WWII age vets walking in and out of the theater as their comfort levels wavered, standing in the aisles and sitting quietly through the credits. The Whale is a very powerful little movie IMO. Dug deep on many many levels. Might not appeal as strongly to everyone but it shook me and my girlfriend pretty hard.

Couple of side notes:

1) I have read some criticism of (straight) Brendan Frasier's casting as a morbidly obese gay character with extreme fat suit prosthetics/make up which frankly I find to be politically correct nonsense. Actors and actresses have been stretching their range and playing unusual roles with tons of make up and effects for decades. Show me a (naturally) morbidly obese gay actor who could have played this role as expertly and I'll reconsider the previous opinion but until then I'm just not buying the criticism. Whatever anyone thinks of the film... Frasier's performance is master class acting IMO and after seeing it I could not imagine anyone else pulling it off... especially when you toss in his personal history/story as an actor if you know anything about his struggles and reemergence it makes what we see here feel even more powerful and emotional. No one else could have played this role with as much impact.

2) Aspect ratio for the theatrical presentation was nearly square even tighter then 4:3 I believe. Not unlike Robert Egger's Lighthouse I believe it was shot this way to convey a sense of uncomfortable claustrophobia and hyperfocus inside the small apartment with the obese main character.

3) Subject matter and metaphors were so wide ranging in this outwardly small story it covered so much ground IMO. We felt strong elements of fatherly love, forbidden love, tragedy, loss, shame, self loathing/destruction, panic, desperation, depression, isolation, addiction, acceptance, parenting, fate, joy, misery, blame, faith, abandonment, family history, legacy, mortality, redemption, salvation, literature, poetry, the bible, you name it. Again the whole movie never leaves a small apartment (other then a single flashback scene), features only five characters and transpires over a matter of a few days. And some of the many themes may or may not resonate with every viewer like they did with us. But what Frasier primarily, his co-stars and director Aronofsky are able to accomplish in such a small space and time are pretty incredible IMO. Closest small/powerful thing I have seen recently would be Rose Glass's 2019 film Saint Maude with Morfydd Clark but it's just not this level of good IMO.

Last edited:
Couple of side notes:

1) I have read some criticism of (straight) Brendan Frasier's casting as a morbidly obese gay character with extreme fat suit prosthetics/make up which frankly I find to be politically correct nonsense. Actors and actresses have been stretching their range and playing unusual roles with tons of make up and effects for decades. Show me a (naturally) morbidly obese gay actor who could have played this role as expertly and I'll reconsider the previous opinion but until then I'm just not buying the criticism. Whatever anyone thinks of the film... Frasier's performance is master class acting IMO and after seeing it I could not imagine anyone else pulling it off... especially when you toss in his personal history/story as an actor if you know anything about his struggles and reemergence it makes what we see here feel even more powerful and emotional. No one else could have played this role with as much impact.

2) Aspect ratio for the theatrical presentation was nearly square even tighter then 4:3 I believe. Not unlike Robert Egger's Lighthouse I believe it was shot this way to convey a sense of uncomfortable claustrophobia and hyperfocus inside the small apartment with the obese main character.

3) Subject matter and metaphors were so wide ranging in this outwardly small story it covered so much ground IMO. We felt strong elements of fatherly love, forbidden love, tragedy, loss, shame, self loathing/destruction, panic, desperation, depression, addiction, acceptance, parenting, fate, joy, misery, blame, faith, abandonment, family history, legacy, mortality, redemption, salvation, literature, poetry, the bible, you name it. Again the whole movie never leaves a small apartment (other than a single flashback scene), features only five characters and transpires over a matter of a few days. And some of the many themes may or may not resonate with every viewer like they did with us. But what Frasier primarily, his co-stars and director Aronofsky are able to accomplish in such a small space and time are pretty incredible IMO. Closest small/powerful film I have seen recently would be Saint Maude but it's just not this level of good IMO.
1) Brendan Fraser has always hinted at being a much better actor than a lot of his roles let on. With Honors comes immediately to mind off the top of my head. But he became so popular he was used as a BO draw in a ton of lesser projects. Although for all the wrong reasons I love Bedazzled *cough*elizabethhurley*cough*….Fraser’s Hollywood story is tragic though and I‘m glad to see his comeback in real time.

2) don’t know anymore than you and I have yet to see the movie but your theory makes sense to me.

3) a lot of the emotions you mention are why I expect the movie to resonate for me as well. Unless they’ve lived an incredibly privileged and sheltered life, I believe a majority of average adults in today‘s world experience most of the range of emotions mentioned on a weekly, if not daily basis. No doubt that life can be and will be a struggle on multiple occasions. The last two years of my marriage and the first two years after it being finalized were an eye opening experience for me on countless levels. While I have my own world view and beliefs, unless blatantly and universally wrong, I very rarely find myself passing judgement on much of anything these days. We all have our cross to bear and it’s rare and in a way, a privilege, to be privy to someone’s complete story no matter where it falls on the spectrum of good to bad…..

1) Brendan Fraser has always hinted at being a much better actor than a lot of his roles let on. With Honors comes immediately to mind off the top of my head. But he became so popular he was used as a BO draw in a ton of lesser projects. Although for all the wrong reasons I love Bedazzled *cough*elizabethhurley*cough*….Fraser’s Hollywood story is tragic though and I‘m glad to see his comeback in real time.

2) don’t know anymore than you and I have yet to see the movie but your theory makes sense to me.

3) a lot of the emotions you mention are why I expect the movie to resonate for me as well. Unless they’ve lived an incredibly privileged and sheltered life, I believe a majority of average adults in today‘s world experience most of the range of emotions mentioned on a weekly, if not daily basis. No doubt that life can be and will be a struggle on multiple occasions. The last two years of my marriage and the first two years after it being finalized were an eye opening experience for me on countless levels. While I have my own world view and beliefs, unless blatantly and universally wrong, I very rarely find myself passing judgement on much of anything these days. We all have our cross to bear and it’s rare and in a way, a privilege, to be privy to someone’s complete story no matter where it falls on the spectrum of good to bad…..
The laugh is only for the <cough>Elizabeth Hurley<cough> comment. I like that movie for the same coughing reason. Although Brendan doesn't do bad either. I still find myself saying cociana or however you'd would spell it the way he pronounces it.

Thanks for the review Monkey. I'll probably wait until it comes out at the end of the month on Max, but will definitely watch it for sure.

Just finished this:

51jaS6Eti8L._AC_SY580_.jpg

Oh man that was hysterical! And VERY clever (IMHO). Definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a while. (Not that I watch a lot of movies...) Somehow I knew nothing at all about this until the recent hype when the second one came out (which I will watch shortly).

Just finished this:

51jaS6Eti8L._AC_SY580_.jpg

Oh man that was hysterical! And VERY clever (IMHO). Definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a while. (Not that I watch a lot of movies...) Somehow I knew nothing at all about this until the recent hype when the second one came out (which I will watch shortly).
We liked it.

I think Glass Onion was even better.

Looks like this could be outstanding... what a cast. Hardly recognized Robert Duvall. Jan. 6th release date looking forward to it.

Watched it this weekend. Felt a little slow rolling but grew on me and then sold me after some of the late developing twists and turns. Made me appreciate that earlier parts more then I did in real time watching them. Solid murder mystery/period piece IMO.

Saw Megan in the theater Sunday morning (least crowded option). Was not expecting much but even so it was a little silly. Couple of decent A.I. moments but otherwise just silly. Just see Morgan or even better Ex Machina if you want to see better movie in this genre. Or Short Circuit LOL.

Last edited:
Saw Megan in the theater Sunday morning (least crowded option). Was not expecting much but even so it was a little silly. Couple of decent A.I. moments but otherwise just silly. Just see Morgan or even better Ex Machina if you want to see better movie in this genre. Or Short Circuit LOL.

she looks so much like a live actress. i just cant pin point it, but first reaction is on of the olsen twins (not elizabeth).

she looks so much like a live actress. i just cant pin point it, but first reaction is on of the olsen twins (not elizabeth).
As far as I can tell, she is a real actress, probably CGI'd to look that way. IMDB lists two actresses in the roll, one for Megan and one for Megan's voice.

Back