• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

EweTube somehow assigned me a channel that features trained/classical musicians who (supposedly) have never heard a particular piece of modern music, they watch it, and comment. Some of the videos are, well, dull, but this one was kinda fun. This guy (supposedly) had never heard any Zappa, and watched a Live/Edited video of Frank's "Inca Roads", featuring some bizarre claymation by some California Stoner (I have that whole video, on VHS!).
This video was published in 1975, as was the original performance, which was drop-jaw stunning. Enjoy!

EweTube somehow assigned me a channel that features trained/classical musicians who (supposedly) have never heard a particular piece of modern music, they watch it, and comment. Some of the videos are, well, dull, but this one was kinda fun. This guy (supposedly) had never heard any Zappa, and watched a Live/Edited video of Frank's "Inca Roads", featuring some bizarre claymation by some California Stoner (I have that whole video, on VHS!).
This video was published in 1975, as was the original performance, which was drop-jaw stunning. Enjoy!

Botch…

I think you should start making “reaction” type videos. And for your first video might I suggest giving a disc called “Second Generation” a spin. It’s by a great group of young kids circa 1992 that go by the moniker “Osmond Boys”.

After that you can give “I Love America” a spin. I also happen to think America Rocks! From sea to shining sea. I love her golden haired sisters and even its lonely people. The Ventura highway is beyond compare. And where else can an aging politician succeed in the music industry? The dream is real.

Every news show, commercial, concert, grand opening and special interest story in Utah has a &$^%!! Osmond in it.

I'll pass. :nyah:

You don’t say.

So what I’m hearing is that there’s a half-ways decent chance James Hetfield invites Jay Osmond up on to the stage to sing “Crazy Horses“ next time Metallica plays SLC.

Hmm. We just stumped Siri.

In preparation of my smartass answer I asked Siri the last time Metallica played SLC. She didn't answer, and eventually snuck off my laptop screen altogether!

Isn’t Siri the kid that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes made after they did it one day? (Or more likely, I’m guessing, one night?)

Last edited:
Jacob Collier, Live at the Hollywood Bowl!
Okay, no one else was there, but it was live at the Hollywood Bowl.

A big departure for him, just his single voice and an acoustic guitar (big change from his amazing, multi-track extravaganzas with tangled vox and multi-instruments). I rank this kid up there with Stevie, Mark O’Connor, Joni, & Prince. Enjoy.

Jacob Collier, Live at the Hollywood Bowl!
Okay, no one else was there, but it was live at the Hollywood Bowl.

A big departure for him, just his single voice and an acoustic guitar (big change from his amazing, multi-track extravaganzas with tangled vox and multi-instruments). I rank this kid up there with Stevie, Mark O’Connor, Joni, & Prince. Enjoy.

Not sure who Mark O'Connor is, but I assume the Stevie is Stevie Wonder, and I know who Joni and Prince are. Ranking him up there with the last three... well.......
prudent-george-w-bush.gif

I had forgotten how beautiful this piece was. Full speakers, or at least headphones, if you can.

Last edited:
I had forgotten how beautiful this piece was. Full speakers, or at least headphones, if you can.

Some pretty amazing chords/harmonies. And the bass+baritones are particularly awesome.

Digging thru Roger Nichols' estate his daughter found this completed Schlitz beer commercial, by The Dan! It never aired, possibly because even in the 70's what they did with helium could be considered racist (<== and that's a sentence I never expected to write).

Digging thru Roger Nichols' estate his daughter found this completed Schlitz beer commercial, by The Dan! It never aired, possibly because even in the 70's what they did with helium could be considered racist (<== and that's a sentence I never expected to write).

Odd. At first I thought it was a hoax, but it is clearly them. Just odd.

Bob James, and two unknown (to me) rhythm players (the bass player looks like Jim Carrey); a very nice rendition of "Taxi".

The drummer is Billy Kilson, who is AMAZING. He's on one of Botti's live concert vids, which is where I first got to know him. I had a chance to see James and Kilson locally (well, almost, in DC) a while back and I've always regretted not going.

Any brass player from the mid-70's to... much later, was a fan of Maynard Ferguson. I personally didn't care for his somewhat sloppy style, but no one can deny he was the second-best trumpet screamer of our age.
The other great thing about him was how he nurtured up-and-coming young musicians (as did Bird, Miles, Duke, Quincy, Zawinal, et al), and his alumni list is stunning. He made it a point to always work with HS and college jazz bands, usually using them to open his own shows, and include talks and workshops beforehand; a great, great human being.
Birdland. Enjoy!

An older video of King Crimson. I know I have this, somewhere, on a VHS tape or DVD, I've seen it before. I only watched the first song here (it's past my bedtime), but I'll be watching the rest tomorrow after I finish mowing the lawn.
And I never realised how HUGE Tony's hands were!

Back