• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Vinyl

I’m only 50. Lol
Ha well I'm 51 so I'll be getting to grandkids before too long... but my family tends to have kids later in life, so who knows. I was 34 when my first kid was born, and my dad - her granddad - was 64 then.

Ha well I'm 51 so I'll be getting to grandkids before too long... but my family tends to have kids later in life, so who knows. I was 34 when my first kid was born, and my dad - her granddad - was 64 then.
Met my wife when I was 16 and our son was born when I was 17. Actually glad it worked out like that for us as I couldn’t imagine being this age and still having teenagers and such.

Now our youngest is 27, and she’s not going anywhere and that’s perfectly fine with me.

Attachments

• 8197E9BF-D9C0-4778-81B3-D9D48636990F.jpeg
    8197E9BF-D9C0-4778-81B3-D9D48636990F.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 10
Got some good time in with the new player, man do I really love vinyl. I forgot just how good my old system was. The combo of the RT81, Marantz 2220 and the Cornwall iv’s is really just amazing.

Ozzy never sounded so good live.

Attachments

• E9B2A137-8438-4F61-BDF1-920F3CF58EB4.jpeg
    E9B2A137-8438-4F61-BDF1-920F3CF58EB4.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 5
Man, I like to wore that thing out. Loved that album.
Unfortunately i only had it on vinyl and I lost it a long time ago.
And it’s one that is on no streaming g services and impossible to find on cd.

So I’ve spent quite a bit of time listening to records and going back and forth between streaming, vinyl and cds. My opinion, the records truly sound the best to me with cd being second and streaming dead last.
I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading and there are many record lovers that claim that old original pressings sound better than the new ones so I also tested that theory. I purchased new at Walmart, Metallica Master of Puppets, Pink Floyd The Wall and KISS Destroyer. I also have NM copies of these albums in my collection that are original pressings.

The new pressing of Master sounds significantly better than the original with a huge boost in the dynamic range and an absolutely fantastic wide open soundstage with dead on imaging. The original sounds almost sterile compared to the new.

The Wall sounds so close to the original that I would be willing to bet even someone that knows the album second by second wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the old and new pressing.

KISS was the most surprising to me, after listening to The Wall and Master I suspected maybe it to be actually better or in the very least comparable to the original but it isn’t even close. There is ZERO warmth and it literally sounds compressed.
And actually I’m grateful because I have the entire KISS catalog up to Lick it Up on original vinyl and I now feel I won’t need to rebuy any of those. Lol

Also have one other thing that I noted while listening, seems most of Led Zeppelin’s albums sound like shit, seriously, like shit. But oddly my even older DOORS albums sound fuller and better than any cd or streamed versions I’ve heard.
And I’m about half way through my Stones albums and they too sound simply amazing so I’m not sure what all the hype about Zeppelin vinyl is all about. Lol

@walls, What streaming service are you using?
Spotify, and I know it’s not that great. I had Tidal, and while they offer better streaming they don’t offer it on their entire catalog and I found that I was paying for a premium service but not getting the quality with 90% of what I listen to (thrash/death metal). Also I mainly use Spotify for driving and walking or while cleaning the house, I almost never use it on my main listening system. Also Spotify has a great user layout and their catalog goes way deeper than Apple or Tidal.

I've run into a vinyl collection. One of three pix

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 8
Okey doke. I received the first box today which is the one in the picture. Two Time-Life Series. The classical music is from the late 70's and the musicals from the early 80's. The vinyl that I sampled looks good. I know vinyl used to be heavier and some of my older Deutsche Gramaphones were that way. Where does this fit in the vinyl world these days?

Okey doke. I received the first box today which is the one in the picture. Two Time-Life Series. The classical music is from the late 70's and the musicals from the early 80's. The vinyl that I sampled looks good. I know vinyl used to be heavier and some of my older Deutsche Gramaphones were that way. Where does this fit in the vinyl world these days?
If you mean weight (thickness) of the vinyl, the norm these days for quality releases is 180 grams. Records from back in the day were usually something like 120 grams. Good new releases today are uniformly higher quality with much less surface noise than most releases back in the day. I think the 70s were particularly bad. DGG records were actually rather light, as were most European pressings.

Back