• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Rick Beato

I was 11 when that album came out. My buddy and I would listen to the album at his house. Being 11 we would laugh every time we played Big Ten Inch Record. Good times!!

Rick apparently has a Podcast now. Who doesn't ? I had never heard of his very first guest but it was very interesting. One of his comments that struck me was that every other medium, TV, Movies, Video(Computer) games have gotten better. Audio quality has gotten worse. Fascinating listen!!

Today or yesterday, he posted "Toto's Greatest Song". I was sure it'd be off of "Toto IV" (it was), and it would be "Africa" (it wasn't). But, "I won't hold you back" would've been my second choice, and its a killer track. I had always loved the triplet fills throughout the song, and the fact that Lukather had played such an emotional, sparse solo (he's always played to the taste of the song, good on him). I would love to know if the orch part was written first, or the guitar solo laid down; the way they call/response is so incredible. Rick's discussion:

And the official Toto video:

This is why I love Beato's videos so much. I would NEVER hear or be conscious of these things on my own, despite how many times I've listened to these songs.

My opinion on Lukather has moved up several notches.
He has been one of my favorites for the past 10 years or so. I wish I would have learned about him many, many years ago....... IMO, he is one of the most talented musician, songwriters of all time.

Rock on Luke!!!!

He has been one of my favorites for the past 10 years or so. I wish I would have learned about him many, many years ago....... IMO, he is one of the most talented musician, songwriters of all time.

Rock on Luke!!!!
Got tix to see Toto in February. Can't wait to see Luke!!!

Last edited:
A broken leg, a summer vacation, a Dad's love, and a connection.
This video popped up just now, and needed to be added to this thread. And I need to buy yet another album.
I also need to re-watch this entire thread.

Yo Botch...Steven Wilson on Beato!!!!

Just watched this this evening.
Brought back a lot of memories when he talked about the transition from tape to digital recording, we both went from a 4-track cassette deck to digital on an Atari ST and Creator/Notator programs (he was ten, I was a Lieutenant). Really good discussion about Dolby Atmos, and I guess I didn't know a thing about how Spotify works (SW actually had to go to a Spotify seminar as part of his latest record deal). And the importance of learning, by listening. All in all, a great interview.

And my mind is playing tricks on me. The above post by me about Joe Pass, I could've sworn I posted that weeks ago, but the forum is saying I posted it yesterday.

Back in High School, there were a couple of vinyl albums under the tree for me, and my favorite gift was this:

ChicagoIXcover.jpg

I got to listen to it twice Xmas Eve, and one more time in the a.m. before we went over the river and thru the woods to grandmother's house. There was one tune, that somehow I'd never heard on the radio, that kept playing in my head thru that Xmas, at both grandparents' GTGs in Minnesota and Iowa.
It was "(I've been) Searching So Long". It's my favoritest Chicago song of all time, their version of "Hey Jude" (and that could be a brilliant mash-up!) Here, Rick Beato walks thru their Greatest Hits, and his favorites line up with mine, exactly. Pretty cool!

Nuno Bettencourt on Rick Beatos podcast.
Yes, Nuno has always been that good.

A great podcast.

^^^ I have serious issues with staying focused anymore.
Nothing holds my attention anymore. I figured there's no way I would watcth this entire podcast and I can stop it.
Excellent Excellent Excellent.

Saw this by a well known columnist that I like very much, in our local paper (Baltimore Sun) today, in a list of (basically) "random thoughts":

18. If you’re into rock and haven’t discovered Rick Beato’s “Everything Music” YouTube channel — as 3.5 million subscribers already have — you’re in for a treat. From his studio in Georgia, Beato (pronounced Bee-ahtoe) picks apart and analyzes songs and he sometimes interviews rock stars. Check out his brilliant dissection of Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way,” or his effort to determine Pink Floyd’s greatest song, or his discussion of the “impossible virtuosity” of pianist Yuja Wang. Beato is a genuine music intellectual without pretense, and his experiences as a studio musician inform his videos.

Saw this by a well known columnist that I like very much, in our local paper (Baltimore Sun) today, in a list of (basically) "random thoughts":
I guess if you are mentioned in the old media you have made it in the new media? Weird world we live in!!

Back