• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Rick Beato

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
Both I and @mcad64 (was it Mike?) have mentioned Rick Beato here before, but I wanted to start a separate thread on him. His videos pop up on my EweTube quite often, and every once in awhile a band or a recording that I thought I was familiar with, is just full of little things I missed, or couldn't hear, that are just gems. Please feel free to post your favorites here too, if you wish.

On this one he dissects XTC's Mayor of Simpleton, from Oranges and Lemons. This album I must've listened to a lot in the car, neither my second nor third Saab had very good bass reproduction. The bass lines on this track are phenomenal, and Rick got one of the guys from Jellyfish to show some of the stuff. There's also a russian mandolin-type part and just four keyboard notes on the whole song, neither of which I heard before. Enjoy!

:listening:

Great story about Rick Beato. His channel contains over a thousand videos, mostly on music education. He could easily claim fair use for the What Makes this Song Great videos, but he doesn't. YouTube demonetizes most of them and the money goes to the artist. Every once in awhile, he has to fight an actual take-down. Recently, two record companies filed Copyright strikes against him within about a week. At three strikes, YouTube takes down your channel. The appeals process penalizes you if you lose and seldom goes anywhere, so we went to Twitter. Steve Lukather re-tweeted it, got some other major artists together and got the music companies to drop their claims against Rick.

The interesting thing is that the take-downs and copyright strikes always come from "legacy" bands. Foo Fighters posted Rick's video on their website and made sure that none of his videos containing their work were demonetized. He has good relationships with musicians from a bunch of bands from the 90s and 00's. The trouble always comes from the old guys like Don Henley. There are obviously exceptions. Steve Lukather is a self-described fan who has appeared on his show, for instance, but it is always the older bands that give him grief. I strikes me as crazy to persecute a guy who is out there building a new fan base for their work.

Rick covers Jaco covering Bird's "Donna Lee" (from his debut album) (Jaco's, not Bird's). Most of this flies completely over my head, but it's fun to try to understand it.

^^^ Note: the video pic above looks like one from Joni's landmark CA concert, but that isn't it (still worth seeing).

This is one I wasn't expecting. Rick dissects a record by... Slipknot?

I only have one Slipknot DVD. I realized both their drummer, and their lead guitarist, had some talent, and what's-her-name thought the singer was very good (I still don't hear that)
Gotta admit, though, I learned a few things:
1. Slipknot uses a lot of flatted-2nd's, to get a distinctive metal sound. I knew Metallica did this, but I hadn't recognized it in this band.
2. Their turntablist actually added a lot of subtle things, that my ears hadn't caught; interesting.
3. Rick also pointed out some things that the three percussionists did. On video, to me, it just looked like they beat on empty beer kegs, and each other, but otherwise didn't add that much. I'll still stand by that opinion.
4. The band also put in a lot of pauses, not playing perfectly to a time grid; this is always a good thing, when the music benefits from it. Music should breathe.

Always learning, even from unexpected sources. :oops:

This is one I wasn't expecting. Rick dissects a record by... Slipknot?

I only have one Slipknot DVD. I realized both their drummer, and their lead guitarist, had some talent, and what's-her-name thought the singer was very good (I still don't hear that)
Gotta admit, though, I learned a few things:
1. Slipknot uses a lot of flatted-2nd's, to get a distinctive metal sound. I knew Metallica did this, but I hadn't recognized it in this band.
2. Their turntablist actually added a lot of subtle things, that my ears hadn't caught; interesting.
3. Rick also pointed out some things that the three percussionists did. On video, to me, it just looked like they beat on empty beer kegs, and each other, but otherwise didn't add that much. I'll still stand by that opinion.
4. The band also put in a lot of pauses, not playing perfectly to a time grid; this is always a good thing, when the music benefits from it. Music should breathe.

Always learning, even from unexpected sources. :oops:
Slipknot RAWX!!!
The Subliminal Verses RAWX!!!
And, Duality RAWX!!!

And just for that video, Rick Beato RAWX!!!

On slow nights back when I owned the bar I would occasionally declare it was Randy's turn to pick the music on the jukebox. The volume was going up and Slipknot Duality was almost always the first song. The girls used to always crack up because I was a relatively well behaved, clean cut, professional type guy that loves metal. We had a lot of good times.

I almost made a separate post for this one, it's directly "audiophile"-related:

He discusses the sound difference between a 44.1KHz recording and an .mp3, does a pretty cool test with younger ears, then points out that most great-sounding records are mixed on crappy speakers by old guys who maybe can't hear much of the top octave (its good to remember that audio frequency is not linear; we can all hear about 10 octaves in pitch, and if the top frequency you can hear with your ears is only 13,000 Hz (out of 20,000), that doesn't mean you've lost the top third of your hearing, it means you've lost (or reduced) your hearing in the upper half of the top octave out of ten.

This reminds me of the test Mr. Mackwood ran for us at Tom's GTG; that was so much fun, and I'd love to do it again somehow. :listening:

He discusses the sound difference between a 44.1KHz recording and an .mp3, does a pretty cool test with younger ears, then points out that most great-sounding records are mixed on crappy speakers by old guys who maybe can't hear much of the top octave (its good to remember that audio frequency is not linear; we can all hear about 10 octaves in pitch, and if the top frequency you can hear with your ears is only 13,000 Hz (out of 20,000), that doesn't mean you've lost the top third of your hearing, it means you've lost (or reduced) your hearing in the upper half of the top octave out of ten.

This reminds me of the test Mr. Mackwood ran for us at Tom's GTG; that was so much fun, and I'd love to do it again somehow. :listening:
Nice. I hadn't seen that one. Edits out the ying yang...but still interesting.
Right back at ya Botch. He mentioned this guy in the video and I came across this one as I was trolling the Rick Beato videos a few weeks ago.

Right back at ya Botch. He mentioned this guy in the video and I came across this one as I was trolling the Rick Beato videos a few weeks ago.

Wow. That was highly entertaining (a couple things over my head) and CLA doesn't hold back, does he? :mocking:

This is one of the reasons why I switched from lossless files to the highest quality 320K rips I could make from them. They work on everything and I cannot tell the difference at all with 99% of the material I listen to.

Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes:

He talks about Daniel Lanois' use of echos (both analog and new digital) on the guitar parts, added quite subtly, but then when he mentioned Lanois went on to produce U2's Joshua Tree, I had a real "ah ha!" moment. THere's some really neat things going on with the bass parts, too, that I hadn't heard before. Great fun!

Emilia, It was just a false alarm

This one came up on my EweTube feed, and it was fascinating. I've learned a few Joni songs on piano, and I expected a lot of discussion about maj7 chords which she uses a lot, but Rick was pulling out all these OTHER notes that I'd missed; wow!
Got my copy of Liquid Tension Experiment's 3rd album today, but I think tonight I'll be watching Shadows and Light instead.

I don't know this guy from Adam. I don't know anything about Jazz. Such a great interview. Rick has the ability to ask a question and get out of the way!!

I've been watching a lot of his videos. Interesting stuff. While I don't consider him the absolute authority for all music, I do think he has a talent for analyzing song structure and in particular chord changes/progressions, which is fascinating to me; there is definitely a developed skill involved in doing this analysis by ear alone. So I have some appreciation for his reviews of "what makes this song great" - and it has introduced me to new music that I didn't know before, always a plus.

I've been watching a lot of his videos. Interesting stuff. While I don't consider him the absolute authority for all music, I do think he has a talent for analyzing song structure and in particular chord changes/progressions, which is fascinating to me; there is definitely a developed skill involved in doing this analysis by ear alone. So I have some appreciation for his reviews of "what makes this song great" - and it has introduced me to new music that I didn't know before, always a plus.
I love watching the videos aimed at laymen, such as What Makes This Song Great. I've learned a lot and find it fascinating. Most of his channel is dedicated to music theory and is way to technical for this non-musician.

Before he became a YouTuber, he was a music producer for a couple decades and before that he taught jazz guitar at a well-known music college (I forget which one).

Blood stains the ivories on my daddy’s baby grand

Ain’t seen the daylight since we started this band

Back