• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

PSA XV15 Then XS30 Now

Re: PSA XV15

heeman said:
PLEASE, PLEASE Recommend some good reference Music Material for me to use to evaluate this wonderful new addition.

Thanks!

images

img1_blue-man-group_0.jpg

:music-rockout:

EDIT: Okay, those might not be the best "reference" materials, but they'll definitely make your sub go "woof"!

JeffMackwood said:
CMonster said:
We just had the Decoy Napa County Red Wine last night and it was pretty good and we also like Kendall-Jackson Summation. Coppola Claret is another one to try.

Agreed.

However (and based on recent experience), I do not recommend it as the eighth bottle shared by four individuals (two of those bottles having been doubles), at 2:30am, as a "nightcap" - especially when the person suggesting it goes by the name of "Babs". This could result in mild headache and an attempt by one's body to reject itself the next day.

Jeff

Hey, hey, hey!!! I agree to a certain degree. Not one of us needed anymore wine when I discovered the Claret in the wine fridge, BUT, when I pulled it out of the fridge, Jo looked @ me and said something about it being our favorite! Two wine chicks with great taste, what more could you ask for?

So sorry about the headache & bodily function issues! The next time we all hang, Claret will be drunk earlier in the evening! It is most delicious!

Zing said:
heeman said:
PLEASE, PLEASE Recommend some good reference Music Material for me to use to evaluate this wonderful new addition.
Didn't you recently buy 'Trilogy' by The Weeknd? I know it's not your type of music but I'm certain it will be of great use to you in this sense.

Yes, I forgot about this one...........will crank it up over the weekend!

XV15 Performance update.........

Last night I increased the gain ever so slightly and now I can say that the perfomance of this sub in my room is just about incredible.

After doing some music listening and then watching The Avengers..................

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY..................

:banana-dance: :banana-rock: :bow-blue: :banana-rock: :banana-dance:

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

:happy-smileygiantred:

:handgestures-thumbup:
:eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:
:text-thankyoublue:

heeman said:
XV15 Performance update.........

Last night I increased the gain ever so slightly and now I can say that the perfomance of this sub in my room is just about incredible.

After doing some music listening and then watching The Avengers..................

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY..................

:banana-dance: :banana-rock: :bow-blue: :banana-rock: :banana-dance:

:happy-smileygiantred:

:handgestures-thumbup:
:eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:
:text-thankyoublue:

Hmmmm, this sounds distinctly familiar!

This is the part where you're supposed to explain what's so much better about the performance. I'm especially interested in how an ever so slight adjustment to the gain knob made it leaps and bounds better.

The gain knob with the PSAs are unlike any other sub I've experienced. I contacted Tom V. about it, as have other owners, and there have subsequently been several posts on AVS about it. The subs just seem dead until you hit a certain point on the gain. I was getting almost no output at the 12:00 position but at 2:00 it came alive. If one were to break out the SPL meter before doing any "play" listening whatsoever it wouldn't be a big deal, but come on, everyone wants to hook her up and see what she'll do right away...

Gain determines the amount of voltage on the input signal, volume determines the amount of increase loudness on the output stage. Two different animals.

Rope

Right, but there's a certain expectancy between the correlation of the two. With most subs, the gain control pretty much acts exactly the same way you'd expect a normal volume control to work. With the PSAs, it seems to be more of a logarithmic relationship - the first half or so of the gain knob increases the volume very little and then it takes off. I'll try to give more details this weekend as I integrate a third XV15 into my HT...

An analogy... Let's say you normally watch movies with the volume set at -15. You then rent a movie that, unbeknownst to you, was mastered 10db lower than most other movies. So, you fire it up, set your volume to -15 and immediately realize that it's not loud enough. You quickly hit the volume up to -11, -10, but now you're starting to worry about the stress on your system since you usually don't have the volume that high. You bump it up to -9 and then -8 and think "okay, that's good." Halfway through the movie you decide, no, the volume still isn't right so you slowly take it up to -5.

I contend that Keith was at "-8" when he first set it up and now he's at the correct "-5" setting. And if you want to argue that he mentioned measuring with the Radio Shack SPL meter, I'm willing to bet that he didn't take the correction factors into account.

It sounds as if the gain pot (potentiometer) has a sharp voltage increase around the one/two o'clock setting? Higher voltage can and does increase the amplifier section stablization. I'm wondering why the wowie at the one/two o'clock position instead of a graduated increase across the gain band?

Rope

I know Tom V. checks in on our Power Sound Audio thread but I doubt he's following this thread so you might want to take this question over there. On the AVS thread he's mentioned several times that their gain structure is different than most other subs but I don't recall him ever going into any details. You're getting over my head with the tech talk; I can only relay my experiences and that I've read of similar experiences over at AVS. In the end it doesn't really matter; it's just something that new PSA owners need to be aware of.

Towen7 said:
This is the part where you're supposed to explain what's so much better about the performance. I'm especially interested in how an ever so slight adjustment to the gain knob made it leaps and bounds better.

Clear presence of the sub.

The slam that was missing prior to the adjustment.

Prior to the adjustment it was there, however...............not what was expected.

I just checked where the position of the gain knob is on my sub. It is right between 1 and 2 o'clock.

As stated above, the sub did not have the dynamic punch/slam when set at 12 o'clock.

heeman said:
When talking to Tom V about deciding which sub to buy for my small room. He said that the big difference between the XV15 and the XS30 was that the XS30 will provide a "Violent Kick To The Chest in the Upper Bass Frequencies"....... :scared-yipes:

My XV15 provides a much tighter puncher bass than my previous sub.

I still wonder about what the XS30 would be like in my room..... :eusa-whistle:

R&L Carriers are delivering something new on 8/27............... :happy-smileygiantred:

^ 'Fess up! Are you upgrading from the XV15 or giving it a brother?

The customer service that Tom V provides is just simply outstanding.

The XV15 is being returned and replaced by the XS30.

The XV15 was very close to getting a brother, however after lengthy correspondence with Tom V the best decision Short Term and for any Future upgrades, is the XS30. Can't wait to this bad boy gets delivered!

Back