• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Headbanger's Hangout

Stumbled across this string cover of an all time favorite classic anti establishment Russian punk anthem (Все идет по плану) I'm not sure but it might be one of the more "metal" things I have heard in a long time despite the nature of the instruments. Also seems even more metal in light of recent world events.

They also nail it live... the tall headbanging electric cello player might be the new object of my internet affection... pour me a tall glass of that metal chick...

EDIT: Все идет по плану ("Everything is going according to plan") has been covered by a lot of bands. Massive Attack does a killer live performance art version.

This song will lead you down a deep rabbit hole on YouTube. So many interesting versions. This to me is the definitive live version by the old school original artist with some supporting cast. The lyrics have a lot of historical revolutionary meaning and you can see it in the crowd response.

Last edited:
The tale of two songs with the same riff. I am a fan of Dave Grohl's pet metal project Probot with collaborations with all kinds of cool new and veteran metal gods. And I am a fan of Mike Dean from Corrosion of Conformity.. especially his distorted over driven vocal style like he used on COC's Vote With A Bullet. So this is one of my favorite Probot tracks (Dean singing Grohl drumming).

Then I heard this song recently and was like HEY THAT IS STRAIGHT UP THEFT OF RIFF by an artist I have previously never heard of Alec Empire...

According to Wikipedia it turns out the two songs are more connected then I thought. Grohl wrote the music intended for Empire and it was never used on the Probot album. I guess Empire released it on his own. Then soon after Grohl re-recorded and published a new/different version with Mike Dean. This made me feel better in that there was no theft just multiple versions of the same (great) riff. The Dean track is the reference version IMO but the Empire version has grown on me after a few cycles in my car playlist. Both have strong frantic punk sensibility. The Dean version feels more raw and authentic compared to more engineered Empire version with loads of sampled noises and sounds. But the Empire version breaks down into a hot mess of near doom metal tones towards the end which I actually like in a different way.

Last edited:
While this is very far from my preferred metal genre I cannot help but be blown away a little by lead singer Floor Jansen and this band's live performance. Pretty amazing musicians I would love to see this band live at a big show like this one.

It’s ok but this is more my speed. Lol

Yeah Nightwish is way too Disney sounding for me but still can't get over the raw talent of the singer (and band). I am impressed. Probably won't ever download or buy any of their music but I can appreciate it for what it is. And I would probably go to a live show in a big venue if they still tour or came near me. Just for the spectacle of it. Like Rammstein, etc. It's not really about the music.

Last edited:
Rammstein lead singer's spin off solo band Lindemann has been in heavy rotation lately for my morning commute music... here is YouTube rabbit hole for one of the better tracks... studio version, live from Moscow (complete with cake throwing) and kinda cool remix with strong 80's pop/goth style I might like it better then the original.

Studio...

Moscow cake incident...

Remix...

Rammstein lead singer's spin off solo band Lindemann has been in heavy rotation lately for my morning commute music... here is YouTube rabbit hole for one of the better tracks... studio version, live from Moscow (complete with cake throwing) and kinda cool remix with strong 80's pop/goth style I might like it better then the original.

Moscow cake incident...

Since when did chicks start attending Metal concerts?

Also sideways via Lindemann I discovered the band Pain who have been around for a while don't know how I missed them. Guitar player from Lindemann's own band now I see where the 80's keyboard influence comes from. Also has a little Stabbing Westward sound IMO.

Last edited:
Stabbing Westward for comparison...

I think I have posted this before... seriously under rated band IMO. Great energy and intensity they absolutely destroyed this song... ironically on MTV live show back when MTV was actually a music channel LOL. Those were the days. Musicians playing instruments.

Hot Monkey you wanna come to St. Louis?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230422-222953_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230422-222953_Chrome.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 6
Would Metallica live with the San Francisco Orchestra be considered Headbanger material, because I just bought that CD from Amazon. First CD I've bought in awhile, and mostly I bought it for the song All Within My Hands, which is a great song.

Would Metallica live with the San Francisco Orchestra be considered Headbanger material, because I just bought that CD from Amazon. First CD I've bought in awhile, and mostly I bought it for the song All Within My Hands, which is a great song.
I thought it was good and qualified as head banger material.
The 3rd flute player on the right was really into it.

Back