• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Free Super Bowl feed!

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
So I did some research to see if I could watch the Super Bowl at home, it turns out I can.

Using my media player (ROKU or Amazon FireTV) I can install the CBS Sports app and it is supposed to play the game live.

I am thrilled!

When I cut the cord on cable and threw in the towel on my MediaPC showing over the air TV, I abandoned all hope of watching live events like sports or news.

So... this is good for me.

No.... An OTA antenna does not work for me.

If you recall, I was the guy heavily promoting Windows Media Center as God's gift to people who want the best high definition content. I've got a very good Antenna in my attic, but the PC I was using failed and Microsoft screwed up media center on Win8, so I had to abandon my perfect HD OTA system. After many months of fighting it, I gave up.

I am fine with it 95% of the time, but on big event days like today, I do wish I had OTA.

That's it.

So... now that we have talked about other solutions which won't work for me...

Isn't it cool I can watch the game on my ROKU or FireTV?

I hope we get to a point where the big OTA channels have streaming apps that at least mirror what is on being broadcast on OTA.

Flint said:

No. No, sorry, it really isn't. Now if it were a Joe Bonamassa concert, now then you might have something. But some little sports show? Meh.

PaulyT said:
Flint said:

No. No, sorry, it really isn't. Now if it were a Joe Bonamassa concert, now then you might have something. But some little sports show? Meh.

HA! Touché

I'm getting OTA with an indoor rabbit ears here in Kyle.
Flint, you don't get a good signal there in Round Rock ? The towers are around 22-25 miles from me.
I remember something about Netflix will be discontinueing being avalible on Windows Media Player.

It isn't the signal. My antenna is great. I don't have a tuner I can use with my system. The TV is across the room from everything, and to be honest, I don't give enough of a shit about OTA to make the effort to figure it out. Just about every single show I want to watch is on Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, or YouTube, so all I am missing is live events.

I thought it was pretty cool I could get the game on my ROKU for free without cable or having to go buy and hook up an OTA tuner. I guess it is more interesting to talk about the fact that I don't have OTA hooked up (something I talked at length about when I was having MPC issues).

But your TV's have ATSC tuners built in (unless your still using that Toshiba RPTV)

Really? REALLY???? How many times have I stated I am not interested in trying to figure this out!!! AH AHHHHH!!!!!!

Look!

The one time I wanted to have a live TV signal I happened to find a really cool way to get the game stream for free without any cable running, connections, new tuners, nothing. I just loaded the CBS Sports app in my ROKU and I could see the game live.

Okay... if you want to get into it.. here's the deal. My TV is just a monitor. It is across the room from the HT Preamp and only connected via a single HDMI cable to feed the screen. I don't use it as a source switcher, as an audio source, or as a video source. If I chose to go down that path, which I am not all interested in doing at all, I would need to connect the antenna from the other end of the house to the TV. Then I would need to find some way to get an audio signal from my TV to my HT preamp, ideally a S/PDIF signal. So, I would need to run an Optical cable from my TV over 20 feet around the room to my HT Preamp. THEN... since I control everything from my Philips Pronto Remote, I would need to reprogram my remote with all the appropriate control from the TV remote, such as channel changing.

If watching OTA live was that important to me, which it isn't, I could do all of that. But I won't because it isn't that important to me - AT ALL.

Or, I could buy a Tuner, and that would be easy.

Or, I could spend forever trying to get a PC working again.

Or, I could just not do anything at all and enjoy my system the way it is --- and now I've learned how to watch live sports on the CBS Sports app on my ROKU.

Really, this is a very odd conversation!!!!

And again... as Sam Kenison would say, "AH... AHHHHHHH!!!!!"

How do you not have OTA in Austin? Here is rural BFE, OTA is worthless as the nearest station is 70 miles away. But I have to believe that in a bustling suburban-almost-urban area like where you live, you'd have a plethora of choices.

Sorry, I just got here, but Flint, why don't you just get an OTA antenna and hook it up then you could watch live sporting events like the Super Bowl in stunning HD?

Zing said:
How do you not have OTA in Austin? Here is rural BFE, OTA is worthless as the nearest station is 70 miles away. But I have to believe that in a bustling suburban-almost-urban area like where you live, you'd have a plethora of choices.

*sigh*

Yes... there is decent ATSC signals here with my large antenna which is placed nicely in my attic. But I am NOT looking to use it anymore. I don't care enough about OTA to make the effort...

What's going on?

Randy said:
Sorry, I just got here, but Flint, why don't you just get an OTA antenna and hook it up then you could watch live sporting events like the Super Bowl in stunning HD?

GAH!!!

What are we doing here? AAAAAHHHH!!!!

Look, I found a way to watch the game by merely loading an app on my ROKU... it took a few seconds, easy. I watched the game. It was easy.

I get it... maybe I am totally missing the point. Maybe I am confused. Maybe I need to see a therapist or something. It must be me.

Nah, it's just more fun to tell you what you're doing wrong (or failing to do right).

So... To my original point, we don't need cable, satellite, or OTA stuff to get nearly everything we want to watch on our TVs. Isn't that cool?

Back