• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Direct Tv Now.

Yup... The longer this experiment goes on the more I realize that I “watch” a lot more TV than I thought I did. This afternoon I wanted to put the baseball game on the patio and kitchen TVs (as I often do when the weather is good) but I realized I’d be chewing up twice the bandwidth/data if I did that.

Unless something significant changes over the next few days I’m pretty sure that I’ll switch back to either Uverse or DirecTV.

Yup... The longer this experiment goes on the more I realize that I “watch” a lot more TV than I thought I did. This afternoon I wanted to put the baseball game on the patio and kitchen TVs (as I often do when the weather is good) but I realized I’d be chewing up twice the bandwidth/data if I did that.

Unless something significant changes over the next few days I’m pretty sure that I’ll switch back to either Uverse or DirecTV.

Can you mirror the displays? I did that in my house in Florida, I did it in this rental and I'm going to do it in my new house. It is really nice to be able to play the same thing in multiple rooms.

As Haywood suggested, I often play something on my tablet and "send" it to the TV where I am. When I leave that room, I stop sending it and then send it on the other TV in the next room I am in. This way I am always playing the content on one device, but watching it on whatever TV I happen to be near.

But, I think this is just an adjustment period for you. I cut the cable years ago, so I am completely adapted to the pros and cons of pure streaming and don't have any problems worthy of looking for new options. It might take some time, but I think you can get there as well, but it might mean giving up a few things you've grown accustomed to.

I have fios with no data cap that I’m aware of. So we’ve been fortunate with our streaming so far.

Do you send it to the TV via Bluetooth??

Barb asked me about putting what’s on her Fire tablet on the TV and I told her I would check with you guys.

Let me know.

As Haywood suggested, I often play something on my tablet and "send" it to the TV where I am. When I leave that room, I stop sending it and then send it on the other TV in the next room I am in. This way I am always playing the content on one device, but watching it on whatever TV I happen to be near.

But, I think this is just an adjustment period for you. I cut the cable years ago, so I am completely adapted to the pros and cons of pure streaming and don't have any problems worthy of looking for new options. It might take some time, but I think you can get there as well, but it might mean giving up a few things you've grown accustomed to.

I can adapt but I dont think I want to. Entertainment should be as simple as possible and require a minimum amount of operations. I could probably work out a system like you’re describing but I dont want to be required to go through all those steps. I want to put the game on and relax on the patio. When I or my friends decide we need a refreshment we can walk to the kitchen and not miss a play.

Can you mirror the displays? I did that in my house in Florida, I did it in this rental and I'm going to do it in my new house. It is really nice to be able to play the same thing in multiple rooms.

Not easily. I have experience with HDMI-Cat5 extenders but the patio TVs are fed from a matrix switch in the garage and there’s no reasonable way to run a cable from there to the kitchen. I was only even able to get an Ethernet line to the kitchen when the cabinets and drywall were removed during a remodel last year.

I'm going to wait until Comcast actually makes a move. Into my 3rd month of being way over the limit. So far so good.

I can adapt but I dont think I want to. Entertainment should be as simple as possible and require a minimum amount of operations. I could probably work out a system like you’re describing but I dont want to be required to go through all those steps. I want to put the game on and relax on the patio. When I or my friends decide we need a refreshment we can walk to the kitchen and not miss a play.

I don't disagree with the principles at all, but I do think that technology brings new capabilities which when fully embraced outweigh the loss of some old way of doing things which had become "simple" once you mastered them. We used to memorize all our friends' phone numbers, but now we just use our contacts in the smartphone, or call history records, to call people. We used to find it super easy to get up and insert a disc to watch a movie, but now most of us just stream it from our favorite service. Times change and the ability to watch your television from any device on any network wherever you are, to me, outweighs the hassle of connecting a tablet to a TV (I press the "send" icon and a list of my TVs which are turned on is listed and I click on the one I want, it really isn't difficult at all). Sure, I cannot just play the same thing on two TVs at the same time, but it works for me and is a small sacrifice.

If its not you can use an Amazon Firestick
`
I don't disagree with the principles at all, but I do think that technology brings new capabilities which when fully embraced outweigh the loss of some old way of doing things which had become "simple" once you mastered them. We used to memorize all our friends' phone numbers, but now we just use our contacts in the smartphone, or call history records, to call people. We used to find it super easy to get up and insert a disc to watch a movie, but now most of us just stream it from our favorite service. Times change and the ability to watch your television from any device on any network wherever you are, to me, outweighs the hassle of connecting a tablet to a TV (I press the "send" icon and a list of my TVs which are turned on is listed and I click on the one I want, it really isn't difficult at all). Sure, I cannot just play the same thing on two TVs at the same time, but it works for me and is a small sacrifice.

I’m with you. I’m not tossing in the towel yet and the temptation to do so isn’t based on one factor, but rather the accumulated frustration with all of the ones I’ve listed previously. Regardless I’ll still keep Hulu and Netflix so I’m not abandoning streaming altogether.

This is purely a live tv play for me. The ability to watch all live TV on a mobile device is attractive and the $30/month ($360 a year!!) savings isn’t insignificant.

Dang... I get that.

I abandoned all desire for live TV years ago, so I don't really understand that concern. The very few times I've wanted to get live TV, like the State of the Union Speech, or the Super Bowl, someone has made it available to me via streaming in real time, like Facebook, YouTube, or a traditional broadcaster putting their stream on their online streaming service. So, I don't feel that pain.

Dang... I get that.

I abandoned all desire for live TV years ago, so I don't really understand that concern. The very few times I've wanted to get live TV, like the State of the Union Speech, or the Super Bowl, someone has made it available to me via streaming in real time, like Facebook, YouTube, or a traditional broadcaster putting their stream on their online streaming service. So, I don't feel that pain.

I'm the same way. We stopped watching almost all live TV years before we cut the cable. YouTube TV was the first Live TV service we've had in a long time and we're about to drop it. We used it to watch holiday specials, the Olympics and the Academy Awards, but that's about the full extent of our use. We just don't watch TV that way anymore.

Soooo ... today I mentioned the the wife that I was thinking of switching us back to Uverse or maybe DirecTV and her response was “Thank God. I hate this and the only reason I haven’t complained is I thought you reall wanted it.”

Before I could finish going over the list of pros/cons she interrupted with “worth it”.

LOL

Got my Comcast bill yesterday, it was still only $68.00. I looked over the bill real good and I saw no mention of limit. So so far so good. The $100.00 a month savings continues ....for now.

Looks like you have the same 1TB limit that I do. I made it through the month without going over. I found some fine print on AT&T’s billing page that said I’d be billed after the third time I’d exceeded the cap (which I haven’t yet).

Still ... once I get the time to pre-wire my living room TV for satellite service, and pre-run a fiber optic line to my network rack I’ll cancel DTVnow and switch over to regular DTV (plus Hulu and Netflix).

Back