• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Yamaha RX-A700 Aventage

:text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

Congrats! I have her predecessor, the RX-V 765; am a happy Yamaha customer since 1979! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Botch said:
:text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

Congrats! I have her predecessor, the RX-V 765; am a happy Yamaha customer since 1979! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

I will just be using the Pre-outs and not the amplifier section. I heard that set-up is real easy and will be interesting to see how it compares to the Onkyo?

heeman said:
I heard that set-up is real easy and will be interesting to see how it compares to the Onkyo?
I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts, Onkyo and Denon were my other two candidates.

W T F!!!! This was the perfect opportunity to try the one with the built in sub!!

Botch said:
heeman said:
I heard that set-up is real easy and will be interesting to see how it compares to the Onkyo?
I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts, Onkyo and Denon were my other two candidates.

I had no complaints with the Onkyo.....................until the symptoms started to show up!! :angry-tappingfoot: :angry-tappingfoot:

I have a stereo Onkyo receiver that I use to power my outdoor speakers and love it.

I previously owned an Integrated Amp; Yamaha AX-700 (which I loved) and also a Yamaha RX - 797 Receiver that had an amplifier section that was pathetic.....

I read some interesting things about how the Aventage Series was developed and hope that I will enjoy it. Then there will be some serious decisions to be made once the Onkyo comes back from the shop.

16821_12001_1.jpg

I don't know how the RX-700 compares in price to your 708 Onkyo, but for $650 sounds lke it will make for an intersting comparison.

topper said:
16821_12001_1.jpg

I don't know how the RX-700 compares in price to your 708 Onkyo, but for $650 sounds lke it will make for an intersting comparison.

I paid $550 for the Onkyo and $395 for the Yamaha.

Well, I know you're a journeyman bargain hunter, heeman.

Should've known you didn't pay full price for either . . .

But MSRPs are similar, right?

The Yamaha arrived last night around 6PM from my friendly UPS Delivery guy.

After dinner I connected it, did a manual set-up for speaker distances. I did not adjust gain and left all EQ Flat.

Made all other adjustments to insure proper feedthrough of Video and Audio Settings (just feedthrough, no processing)

The GUI was actually easier than the Onkyo, which is pretty easy.

We test drove it with Blu ray - Return To Forever; Tron; Dispecable Me.

SqueezeBox - Steely Dan Aja, Peter Gabrial So and Supertramp School.

The unit sounds fine. If this was my origional purchase, I am sure that I would be more than happy with it. Since now I own the Onkyo (out for repair) and this one, a comparision will be difficult.

Any suggestions on how to compare???

:text-bump:
Well, did your Onkyo get repaired ? Which do you like better ?

Barney said:

The Onkyo has been back and have been using it (I posted in the other thread "Remote Issues".

The Yamaha was returned to Amazon and I received my money back.

The Yamaha was a nice unit, however the Onkyo just seemed to be a better unit with certain features that we liked better.

heeman said:
Barney said:

The Onkyo has been back and have been using it (I posted in the other thread "Remote Issues".

The Yamaha was a nice unit, however the Onkyo just seemed to be a better unit with certain features that we liked better.
What features do you like better on the Onkyo ? Are those features not on the Yamaha ?

Barney said:
heeman said:
Barney said:

What features do you like better on the Onkyo ? Are those features not on the Yamaha ?

If I purchased the Yamaha first, I would still own it. Remember this is my first experiance with an AVR. I also use the AVR's Pre/Pro section only and never used their amplifier sections.

The Yamaha did allow you to have the setup screen on the display while watching programing. That was a plus. Also, the GUI was very easy to use. The Yamaha's remote felt better than the Onkyo.

The Yamaha's audio adjust/selections was not as level detailed as the Onkyo from what I was able to figure out. It is a big plus to be able to choose BLU Ray and choose each audio type for the type of audio that is being sent from the player.

Both units worked fine, we were just partial to the Onkyo due to the items above.

Back