• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

XLR Cable Benefits ?

ccskier

Is there any benefit (or detriment) to using XLR cables rather than RCA when connecting multichannel pre/pro to amp?

Distance is 2-3 feet.

Thanks in advance.

Only in very extreme conditions would there be any benefit to using XLR over RCA cables for that short of a cable for High Fidelity Audio.

The benefits of XLR cables are generally associated with EMI/RFI noise rejection and reduced signal loss, both over very long cable lengths (as in more than 20 feet).

In some cases, even over short distances, there can be benefits if the audio gear is using +6dB signals (higher voltage) instead of -10dBV signals commonly used for home audio. However, even then the difference would only be noticeable if the noise floor of your system (the noise you hear through the speakers when no audio is being played through the system) is clearly audible from the listening position. So, if you can clearly hear hiss and/or hum from your speakers when the system is turned on when using RCA cables, you could try using XLR cables and see if that hiss and/or hum is reduced. Otherwise, it is pretty pointless to use XLR cables in your case.

Rope said:
They look cooler!
Uh..., yeah, that's it! :techie-eureka:
xlr
t02200367_0480080010909690680.jpg

rca
9430d1222050354-how-solder-illustrated-diy-guide-making-your-own-cables-canare-cable.jpg

Custom XLRs are easier to solder than RCAs.

Signed,
Retired musician

You can purchase XLR cables for almost tye same price as RCA, and again, they look cooler.
41YMk2nY9VL._SY300_.jpg

41POGmHKboL._SX300_.jpg

Plus they don't self disconnect.

Rope

Our old friend Soundhound was fond of discussing the drawbacks of using Balanced interfaces (which include XLR) due to the added electronics in the source and destination components to support the interface inherently add noise, distortion, and other issues to the signal.

Personally, I prefer RCA except for longer runs or where when there are obvious issues with RFI/EMI.

Flint said:
Our old friend Soundhound was fond of discussing the drawbacks of using Balanced interfaces (which include XLR) due to the added electronics in the source and destination components to support the interface inherently add noise, distortion, and other issues to the signal.
I just remembered that. :doh:

I use balanced XLR connections in my HT & successfully reduced my noise floor due to the long (~50') runs in my room and extensive use of dimmers. However, in most cases unbalanced connections are easier, cheaper, and at least as effective. In your case, I would use unbalanced connections. I bet they'll work just fine.

John

Rope said:
You can purchase XLR cables for almost tye same price as RCA, and again, they look cooler.
41YMk2nY9VL._SY300_.jpg

41POGmHKboL._SX300_.jpg

Plus they don't self disconnect.

Rope

I was actually considering that multi colored set from Amazon, only $34 for the set.

I have to rearrange my setup and the RCA cables I am using are too short for the new configuration so I will need to get new cables regardless and thought I might try the XLR especially considering the price.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

XLR takes up more space on the back of the receiver. Might not find enough back panel to have all the connectors you want. Did you want that with blue shrink rap to go?

Back