• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Where to order Music from UK ?

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
Me & my son have bands that have disc's that sometimes are only avalible in the UK (or in that area of Europe). Just about all of my stuff is Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson (limited editions , DVD-A, etc).
I saw where Jeff orders sometimes from Amazon.uk. Where do ya'll order music from that area of the world (UK, Scotland, Israel, etc).
I remember a place called burningshed or something like that but shipping was VERY expensive.
Ideas, suggestions, ?

Barney said:
Me & my son have bands that have disc's that sometimes are only avalible in the UK (or in that area of Europe). Just about all of my stuff is Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson (limited editions , DVD-A, etc).
I saw where Jeff orders sometimes from Amazon.uk. Where do ya'll order music from that area of the world (UK, Scotland, Israel, etc).
I remember a place called burningshed or something like that but shipping was VERY expensive.
Ideas, suggestions, ?
True.

But keep in mind that in many cases (and not just Amazon.uk, but also .com and .ca) I'm usually buying from Amazon resellers. There's probably at least a half dozen Amazon resellers (from all the .dots) that I buy from regularly that are located in the UK. It's easy to track them down. Just do a bunch of Amazon searches for CDs you want and get in to the reseller section ("XXX Used and New From $$$") and it won't take much scrolling to see some from the UK.

I just did a completely random search right now and one of the ones that I buy from regularly was near the top of the list: Zoverstocks - which happens to be a huge organization that just about any CD buyer should have heard of by now. (Sellers hate them because they undercut just about everybody.)

I guess what my real advice is Barney, is that with Amazon (.dot whatever), you can almost certainly get the lowest available online price for any new or used CD, if you take care to cross-check all three (.com, .ca, .uk). On each site find the lowest price (Amazon and resellers), then load the same item into the cart and get all the way to the final click before purchase, to see what your total is in the local currency. Then pull up an online currency converter and convert any "foreign" currencies into USD for comparison. You will find great deals that way. Take into account Amazon "free shipping" thresholds as well - if you plan on buying multiple items. I did that with my Garfield CD purchase this evening and here were the results (for shipping direct to my home): .com: $52.41CDN; .ca: not available; .uk: $32.13CDN. Sometimes the same item is available from the same reseller, but because of differences in shipping costs and exchange rates, the net cost from each .dot can vary by a lot.

Happy shopping!

Jeff

ps. Right now the Canadian Dollar has tanked completely versus the US Dollar. You are all nuts if you are not at least comparison price checking items from Amazon.ca.

Barney - I can help.

I have some friends in the UK who visit the Austin from time to time and I visit Europe and the UK a few times a year as well. We all have an understanding that we will help each other out with small items we want to buy locally and pick up or have brought over when one of us visits.

If you have a list of music you'd like to order, I can see if my good friend in Ireland might be able to receive it at her house and bring it over when she comes in October. You can order it on Amazon.UK and ship it to her and only pay local shipping (you have to pay in EUROs for Ireland purchases). She can then bring them over with her. I have about a dozen small childrens books and a couple of items of clothing she purchased here in the US and had shipped to my house, so she would be happy to do it.

Ebay! I often buy CD's from Japan and Germany, so I'm sure you can find U.K. CD's on there too.

Dennie

It's been a few years, but it was really easy to order from Amazon's UK website. Pretty sure I logged in with my US account log in info. But the last time I did it was easily more than 5 years ago.

I pretty much can't offer anything that hasn't already been mentioned by the others. Pretty much Amazon and eBay are it for me. Like Jeff mentioned, Zoverstocks is a great reseller on Amazon. One thing I'll add on that is, if Zover has a CD that seems a bit high on the USA Amazon site, look for that CD on the UK site. I bought as Tears for Fears EP a few years ago from Zoverstock's on Amazon. The USA prize was $25, but after finding it on the UK sight, it was more like $5.

Another sight I like is CD and LP (http://www.cdandlp.com/en/)

They are a great resource for hard to find albums. It's pretty much a sight of sellers that have record stores all around the globe. It can get a bit pricey depending on what you're looking for, but if it's rare, that's expected. I found a laserdisc concert of Eric Clapton, live 85 from there a couple of years back. A much better quality than the VHS copy I've had for about 30 years, plus the LD version has three extra tracks on it.

Back