• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?

^ as a huge Nolan fanboy, I'm stoked too, I'm taking my two kids tomorrow night or Friday.

I just bought tickets online to go to the local IMAX to watch Dunkirk next Monday. Cannot wait.
Please don't spoil it by posting how it ends!

I'm kinda hoping the troops decide to mount one last charge and, totally unexpectedly, break the advancing German lines, and push them all the way back to Berlin, where they take the city, capture Hitler alive, and end the war.

Jeff

ps. Other than the 1958 version of the same name, this is now my next-favourite movie that "involves" Dunkirk.

Their Finest.jpg

I watched Hidden Figures with my daughter last weekend. I wasn't too excited initially....but that was a great Film. Excellent film making and I highly recommend it. Many good discussion topics afterward as well.

Took the wife and my son to see this yesterday. Overall a pretty good movie, although the lead actors look so young. I had heard the girl, Cara Delevingne, steals the show, and she did a pretty good job. Movie is visually stunning, although the story isn't really anything new, but it is entertaining. valerian.jpg

81cH-%2BctzYL._SX342_.jpg

Can't get enough of this sort of stuff. Fortunately, my kids really enjoy it as well. We watched all 6 episodes of this in the last two days.

I also have Life, but it's in an odd 50fps format that, I found out after I purchased it, doesn't play on all BDPs, including my Sony. Gonna have to bring this to the GTG to see if I can watch it on Batman's rig.

bbcLife.jpg

movieposter.jpg

This was friggin' hysterical. I can't remember where I heard about it - was it here? In any case, highly HIGHLY recommended. Free for amazon prime users.

I went to Dunkirk yesterday at the IMAX. Visually, it was amazing. The story was very good and I liked the way time was portrayed - even though it was neither chronological nor flashback based, it was easy to understand what was going on and it added to the details which could be expressed in the full story-line. I liked that. The images on the 70mm IMAX projector was stunning - nothing I have seen comes close to the quality of what I saw in this movie, like ever.

The music score by Hans Zimmer was great, the actors were spot on and there were no "that's gonna be your star" moments (which I grew annoyed with in Hollywood movies so long ago).

I did NOT like the use of bass in the soundtrack. What started as a rather loud extreme rumble at the very start of the gunfire just as the movie started (which was shockingly powerful and somewhat painful) pretty much didn't let up throughout the entire movie. The bass pretty much peaked at the 2 minute mark and remained at that level throughout the movie. Only rarely did it stop, which was impactful in telling the story, but it was overbearing and distracting about two thirds of the time it was rumbling away. It was so loud that there were many moments where the dialog, of which there was very little, couldn't be heard at all and I had to interpolate what was said by what happened or was said after. It was insane.

At no point could I differentiate between real footage and CGI. I wanted to believe certain scenes were CGI because I couldn't imagine how they filmed it, but I that was the only clue that something may not have been real - but I've seen documentaries on similar large scale movies where big complex scenes were real when I thought they were not due to the size of the sets and numbers of extras. So, I was just guessing if I ever thought something couldn't have been real.

I was very moved by the sentimental acts of bravery and courage, and I felt the fear and terror when the bullets, bombs, and torpedoes were flying. It was an intense film.

I do recommend it, and I recommend you see on 70mm if you can.

Had a half days work today so I managaged to fit in a couple epic modern day classics that are probably in my "Island 5" as Towen7 likes to call them. If I couldn't take a Batman movie, these two movies would be in my backpack for sure. Back in '95, Heat along with Braveheart are what really got me into movies beyond Star Wars and other pop-culture blockbuster type films.

Attachments

• IMG_1822.jpg
    IMG_1822.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1823.jpg
    IMG_1823.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 6
Franklin I've only been to an IMAX movie once and that was at Bats GTG a few years back when we saw "Man of Steel" and I mentioned then too the bass was just too much and the volume was at a level that my ears were ringing afterwards. Just way too loud. Which is why I prefer the theater at my hometown called the Cine Capri the screen is a tad bit wider with 140 speakers and giant subs all around the room that equally pressurized the room. With IMAX they have those behemoth subs that are just too loud. The Cine Capri does frequent calibrations to ensure there is comfortable loud but not so loud it's unbearable bass like IMAX.

Bats I agree Heat would be one of my top ten movies too.

Another classic:

193615.1020.A.jpg

Watched it with the kids, they liked it. There was more language than I had remembered... oh well, not like they haven't heard it before.

Just watched The Cure for Wellness. Holy crap what a twisted messed up movie. It reminded me a lot of Shutter Island. Guy is sent to a lavish hospital facility up in the mountains of Germany (think it was Germany anyway a foreign country with beautiful majestic views. He's a top notch newly hired executive from New York who is sent to this lavish hospital to retrieve a CEO who suddenly writes a letter that he's quitting. Anyway this firm is under government review and they send the young new exec to retrieve him. One thing leads to another and the young exec winds up a patient at this institute and he slowly pieces together a dark horrible secret as to why this facility is running and why its clientele are so affluent. Just like Shutter Island you can't ever leave and if you try something happens to stop you. To me it was a very dark story but like shutter island very mysterious and your trying to figure out what's what and how is good and who is bad. The film deals with drug use, shitload of scary eels and incest so it's not a movie for the kids but worthy of a watch if you liked shutter island.

The wife and I saw The Hitmans Bodyguard yesterday, and we both thought it was pretty funny. Pretty formulaic, but the chemistry between Jackson and Reynolds is pretty good. We had never done the D-Box seats, so I spent the extra money for them, and it was a pretty neat gimmick, although I don't know that I would spend the extra money for them again.

For those that end up seeing this movie, tell me what you think of the picture quality. At times it almost looks like it was shot with a vhs camera, very blurry and almost like the contrast was set too high so any light bleeds into everything else. Maybe it was the movie theater I was at, but I've never seen that poor of quality there, so I don't know.

After hearing a few people rave about the Kingsman, I finally had a chance to watch it yesterday, even if it was on basic cable. Would have been nice to see it uncut and without commercials, but overall it was a pretty good movie. I wish they wouldn't have ended the movie with him getting the princess butt good, but I'll probably see the new one now that it's out. There was a commercial for when Eggsy meets Archer, which was awesome, and I found it on Youtube.

Back