• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What did you do with your dvd collection?

I'm at more than 1400 movies on Vudu. With rare exceptions, I stopped buying anything but 4K a few years ago and at least one of the studios did a free across-the-board upgrade, but I suspect the UHD movie count is under 400. I upgrade things I care about when they have really good deals, but I don't double (triple...quadruple) dip much.

A lot of the stuff I have left on disc are foreign or out-of-print films. I also have some I have not ported yet, but that number is shrinking.

had to revisit this,

black widow came out on 4k yesterday, so did shawshank. both got excellent reviews.

but after some thought, since i have disney plus, i can watch black widow on it in atmos and well, shawshank i think i got on blu ray already.

ive been saving a list of movies to buy when black friday comes, but my enthusiasm and want to purchase a RELEASE DATE movie, is kinda short lived now.

had to revisit this,

black widow came out on 4k yesterday, so did shawshank. both got excellent reviews.

but after some thought, since i have disney plus, i can watch black widow on it in atmos and well, shawshank i think i got on blu ray already.

ive been saving a list of movies to buy when black friday comes, but my enthusiasm and want to purchase a RELEASE DATE movie, is kinda short lived now.
Hi Jo. I know it is not legal but I download torrents of new movies to see if it is any good before I buy the discs. I got to see Black Widow and I could say it is good. Can't wait till the blue ray comes out. Or is it out already?

I’ve got a couple 400 disc players that I keep mine in, I’m sure I could stream most but I also have a few hundred that are fairly obscure films that I won’t find anywhere but on disc.

the other thing is that no matter how I set things up the sound is just never quite as good while streaming.

I bought a new Synology 4-Bay NAS and a pair of 16TB hard drives that I have set up as a RAID 1 mirror set for now. I hope to start ripping my collection again soon, but I am only ripping the stuff that I don't have on Vudu and think I might actually watch at some point. The NAS will run Plex and will also include my music library. I am also embarking on a major long-term effort to digitize all our slides, negatives and a few analog videos. I want to preserve, restore and curate the material, which I will then use to get photo books made. I will also put photo albums and home videos on Plex.

I bought a new Synology 4-Bay NAS and a pair of 16TB hard drives that I have set up as a RAID 1 mirror set for now. I hope to start ripping my collection again soon, but I am only ripping the stuff that I don't have on Vudu and think I might actually watch at some point. The NAS will run Plex and will also include my music library. I am also embarking on a major long-term effort to digitize all our slides, negatives and a few analog videos. I want to preserve, restore and curate the material, which I will then use to get photo books made. I will also put photo albums and home videos on Plex.
Wow I wish I could be that technical and have the resources available to you. I had to give away most of my dvds to have some room for storage. Just kept few I could not get blu ray versions of.

Wow I wish I could be that technical and have the resources available to you. I had to give away most of my dvds to have some room for storage. Just kept few I could not get blu ray versions of.
It’s a serious waste of time for most, unless you watch your entire library 100s of times over. todays digital copies are more than sufficient for everything but blockbuster action, or sci-if type movies and if they’re not, why wouldn’t you want to pop in the disc to get the best possible experience? On every forum I’ve ever spent time on, ripping movies winds up being little more than a pissing contest.

It’s a serious waste of time for most, unless you watch your entire library 100s of times over. todays digital copies are more than sufficient for everything but blockbuster action, or sci-if type movies and if they’re not, why wouldn’t you want to pop in the disc to get the best possible experience? On every forum I’ve ever spent time on, ripping movies winds up being little more than a pissing contest.
True. But sometimes I am just too lazy to get up from my chair to change the disc. It is more convenient but one must suffer first in ripping before the comfort.

True. But sometimes I am just too lazy to get up from my chair to change the disc. It is more convenient but one must suffer first in ripping before the comfort.
This is a lot of why I just buy most of my movies on Vudu (or fill-in-you-favorite).

Back