• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What devices can stream UltraViolet movies?

Huey

Famous
The kids got Despicable Me 2 for Christmas, which came with a UV code, but I can't seem to see where you can stream them other to a computer, phone, etc. Any set top boxes able to stream these movies?

Roku, PS3, XBox 360, many networked Blu-Ray players and Smart TV sets, anything with a web browser, Android tablets and a few other things.

Haywood said:
Roku, PS3, XBox 360, many networked Blu-Ray players and Smart TV sets, anything with a web browser, Android tablets and a few other things.

I looked on my fairly recent bluray player, but I did not see an ultraviolet app. guess I'll have to dig deeper. Thanks Haywood.

Look for a Vudu app. UltraViolet movies are played back by resellers such as Vudu, CinemaNow and Flixter. Vudu is BY FAR the best. Get something with a Vudu app.

Slight hijack:

Is there a fee required to use Vudu as the UV player? I imagine not, since you're simply accessing the media you have rights to access.

Also, if I already added some movies to Flixster, can I also add them to Vudu? Do I need to "move" them to Vudu or can they be available via both services?

Thanks,

John

All you need to do is link both your Flixter and Vudu accounts to your UV account and most of your purchases will show up in both places.

Haywood said:
Look for a Vudu app. UltraViolet movies are played back by resellers such as Vudu, CinemaNow and Flixter. Vudu is BY FAR the best. Get something with a Vudu app.

Does this also mean when I choose which "retailer" I use, that I should use Vudu?
Or is Vudu is only by FAR the best for playback?

I'm getting a movie and it is asking me to choose my retailer:
Vudu, Flixster, Ticket, Cinema Now.

I was going to use Flixster, but I could use Vudu based on reccommendation.

^I used Flixster just because we already had the app on our iDevices. I just looked up the Vudu app for iOS and it has horrible reviews. I know at least one of my blu-ray players has Vudu but I have no interest in streaming a movie at home for which I have the disc. I might take a closer look into their rental options though now that I've finally dropped DSL and gotten big-boy internet service...

Yes, there is a vudu app on my bluray player. I'll have to see about linking them up later tonight. Thanks for the help guys!

CMonster said:
^I used Flixster just because we already had the app on our iDevices. I just looked up the Vudu app for iOS and it has horrible reviews. I know at least one of my blu-ray players has Vudu but I have no interest in streaming a movie at home for which I have the disc. I might take a closer look into their rental options though now that I've finally dropped DSL and gotten big-boy internet service...

There is no app for iOS. Vudu created a web app that works very well on tablets to avoid having to pay Apple 30% of every purchase or rental. The web app does work very well on iPad. I've used it.

Haywood said:
...avoid having to pay Apple 30% of every purchase or rental.

Apple doesn't get 30% of every purchase or rental. You really think Amazon gives Apple 30% of every purchase made with their iOS app? The 30% is for the app price and any in-app upgrades such as extra levels in Angry Birds. If you have to enter in your Apple ID to complete a transaction, Apple gets their cut; if you don't, they get nothing.

Guys you really don't need to link Flixster and Vudu unless you got free movies by signing up with their services. What you need is to set up an Ultraviolet account (think of it as the bank where you hold and store your movies). Now sites like Flixster, CinemaNow (Best Buy brand), Target Ticket (Target store brand) and Vudu are basically the ATM machines where you can get and play your movies. Most smart Bluray players, Smart TV's and tablets devices and computers can play all UV movies but Vudu is the only one that offers up to 7.1 surround sound while others are still in stereo. There are some Smart Bluray players that are exclusive to Best Buy CinemaNow app and won't play Vudu or Flixster so make sure you buy a Smart player that can play Vudu for the surround sound. Also Flixster, CinemaNow and Target Ticket don't offer as many titles as Vudu so although you can load hundreds of movies onto your Ultraviolet account not all titles will be able to play via Flixster or CinemaNow or Target Ticket ( the movie Line of Fire with Clint Eastwood is an example) but Vudu has always shown every title I've loaded and I'm already up to 560 movies.

Now another mistake is when I first started loading movies I thought of Ultraviolet as a tablet based player only so initially converted a bunch of movies in SD only as my iPad 2 is SD only then I realized that my PS3 had the Vudu app so everything I have is now in HDX format and I had to go back and pay again to convert my SD titles to HDX so always go with HDX.

You can buy a new Bluray movie that has the UV code and load it that way but there are several reputable sites that offer just the UV code for sale for 5.00 without having to go to a store or buy the physical media. Hell I bought Captain Phillips days before it hit the store in HDX format for 5.00 online. Since my entire family is linked to my account they get the bonus of also seeing every title I load the moment it gets on Ultraviolet. Also Everytime a linked family member adds a movie it gets loaded on my UV account also.

Now there are some movies that are exclusive and you have to buy the actual physical disc to get the UV code as you can't buy it online or even through Vudu dot com (Wal Mart's "The Great Escape" exclusive is an example. If you can find it at Wal Mart buy it cause it can't be had anywhere else. Disney does offer its movies for sale but they want you to pay full retail disc price just for the digital copy which sucks. Also Vudu offers "Disc to Digital" where you can load and up convert your movies to Vudu and UV for a small fee. 2.00 for DVD to SD digital copy, 2.00 Bluray to HDX and 5.00 for DVD to HDX up conversion. You can do this from your home computer or take your discs to Wal Marts photo center and have them do the conversion. Now Wal Mart is limited to title selection in store so if your movie has a common title they may not pull it up so its best to create your Vudu wish list on their disc to digital site and choose your resolution and when you go to Wal Mart all your titles will automatically show up and the clerk won't tell you your titles not available when you know that it is. Always fill out a wish list first saves on aggrevation.

The other thing is once your logged onto Vudu Disc to Digital site looking for a title it may not show up but once you log out and check the same title it shows up. So log out then look for title choose resolution then it asks you to log in once you log in that "missing title" will be on your list. Don't ask me why this happens but it does. Happened for every Resident Evil I tried and the movie "Red".

The other good thing by linking your Flixster, CinemaNow, Target Ticket and Vudu accounts is when you sign up for each service they give you free SD movies (normally 10) but Vudu gives you 5 free HDX movies when you sign up. So by setting up accounts you get 35 free titles to load on your Ultraviolet account right from the get go. When linked family members join you get all their "free" movies also but the titles are older movies.

CMonster said:
Haywood said:
...avoid having to pay Apple 30% of every purchase or rental.

Apple doesn't get 30% of every purchase or rental. You really think Amazon gives Apple 30% of every purchase made with their iOS app? The 30% is for the app price and any in-app upgrades such as extra levels in Angry Birds. If you have to enter in your Apple ID to complete a transaction, Apple gets their cut; if you don't, they get nothing.

You cannot buy things like Kindle books in the iOS app, because Apple considers them in-app purchases. The same applies to movies sold by Vudu. That's why Vudu has a web app instead of an iOS app. It does not apply to retail goods.

The one gotcha with the nearly endless supply of dirt-cheap movies you can buy through third-parties is that once in awhile, you can get stuck with an SD copy due to the seller thinking it was an HD code. They will generally give you a refund, but you're still stuck with an SD movie and there is no incremental upgrade price in Vudu. That means either sourcing a different code or paying full price to upgrade to HDX. So far, I've always been able to source another code. Right now, I'm dealing with one that I may not be able to do that for and might have to spend the full $15 to get HDX. I've bought almost a hundred movies and this is the first time that's happened.

Between disc-to-digital and my various sources for cheap UV codes, I've spent about $1250 building a library of 450 movies.

Back