• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What are you reading now?

Just finished reading this.

american-sniper-chris-kyle.jpg

I'm reading this thread right now!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. An, yes I realize that I am nowhere near as funny as I think I am. LOL

Randy said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. An, yes I realize that I am nowhere near as funny as I think I am. LOL
But you are (at least) as funny as Zing. (See his Nov 11 post earlier in this thread). :)

Wife got this for me for Christmas, I think at least partly tongue-in-cheek, but it's actually a pretty interesting read so far... I'm sure some here would like it.

proof-the-science-of-booze-copy.jpg

Finished this before Halloween and it was a very good read.
20949444.jpg

Took until now off and will read both
21420139.jpg

&
4ee92dcebfc97.preview-300.jpg

serpent_of_vencie.jpg

I just started reading this sequel to Fool, which was one of the funniest things I'd ever read in my life. So far, it does not disappoint.

Found this via some random "best fantasy series" search in google. I really like it. It's a little more gritty - especially in language - than most fantasy, but it's very well written, and the characters are complex and interesting. Highly recommended.

first-law-trilogy-box-set-uk-box.jpg

The Girl On The Train

51nUP5lqJpL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The wife had mentioned it before as Amazon suggested it for her multiple times but she never pulled the trigger. There was an article about it in the KC Star yesterday so, after reading that, I encouraged her to buy it. Well, she finished it today and now I'm 30% through. This is a good book. I may be up late finishing it...

51drWEmtt5L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm only about 1/3 of the way through this one, will post more when finished. Already, one of the most eye-opening books I've read.

JeffMackwood said:
Randy said:

But you are (at least) as funny as Zing. (See his Nov 11 post earlier in this thread). :)

Well as usual I am a little slow, I didn't see Zings earlier post. LOL

CMonster said:
The Girl On The Train

51nUP5lqJpL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The wife had mentioned it before as Amazon suggested it for her multiple times but she never pulled the trigger. There was an article about it in the KC Star yesterday so, after reading that, I encouraged her to buy it. Well, she finished it today and now I'm 30% through. This is a good book. I may be up late finishing it...

Ended up a bit disappointed with this one. The first half or so was excellent but then it bogged down and the ending was a bit of a let down.

Botch said:

I'm only about 1/3 of the way through this one, will post more when finished. Already, one of the most eye-opening books I've read.

Thanks Botch! I pre-ordered the paperback a few days ago.

I just started Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman.

Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow.jpg

Botch said:

Finally got this finished. In a nutshell, this was one of the best books I've read in years, and I intend to re-read it in about a year, there's a lot of meat in it. I'm gonna cheat and post Amazon's review, it's a lot more succinct than I am:

In the bestselling tradition of The World Is Flat and The Next 100 Years, THE ACCIDENTAL SUPERPOWER will be a much discussed, contrarian, and eye-opening assessment of American power.

Near the end of the Second World War, the United States made a bold strategic gambit that rewired the international system. Empires were abolished and replaced by a global arrangement enforced by the U.S. Navy. With all the world's oceans safe for the first time in history, markets and resources were made available for everyone. Enemies became partners.

We think of this system as normal-it is not. We live in an artificial world on borrowed time.

In THE ACCIDENTAL SUPERPOWER, international strategist Peter Zeihan examines how the hard rules of geography are eroding the American commitment to free trade; how much of the planet is aging into a mass retirement that will enervate markets and capital supplies; and how, against all odds, it is the ever-ravenous American economy that-alone among the developed nations-is rapidly approaching energy independence. Combined, these factors are doing nothing less than overturning the global system and ushering in a new (dis)order.

For most, that is a disaster-in-waiting, but not for the Americans. The shale revolution allows Americans to sidestep an increasingly dangerous energy market. Only the United States boasts a youth population large enough to escape the sucking maw of global aging. Most important, geography will matter more than ever in a de-globalizing world, and America's geography is simply sublime.

I don't know if I was sick on the day(s) we were taught about Bretton Woods, but I honestly had never heard of it before, and it was crucial in how the US helped shape the planet following WWII, when we alone had very little damage to our infrastructure, compared to the rest of the world's powers. Learned a lot too about how geography determines a nation's wealth and power, despite our airline and Intranetz world. He also spends a lot of time on how the demographics (the spread of the population via age in any country) also has a huge effect (it is killing Japan right now, and will absolutely decimate Russia in ten to twenty years).
The last part of the book he makes a lot of predictions, these were amazing too; the U.S. will continue to grow and prosper, while much of the rest of the world, will not; the new superpower in Africa will be: Angola?; Alberta will most likely secede from Canada and join the U.S.; how the illegal drug trade and illegal immigration are completely entwined; how China will most likely fall apart soon; etc.

A fascinating read, highly recommended. :handgestures-thumbup:

EDIT: lakedmb, will be interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

Just finished a bunch of books, but it's the last one that I'll mention.

I've long been a fan of Michael Palmer and his "medical" thrillers.

Before starting Trauma, his latest book, I noticed that credit was also given to Daniel Palmer on the cover, and that both their photos and short bios appeared on the back jacket.

What I now find odd, after having read the Afterword by Daniel Palmer, is that nowhere is it mentionned, until then, that Michael Palmer died in 2013, and that Daniel, his son, had taken his story idea and written a book around it.

That explains perfectly why, as I was reading it, I kept thinking how weak the writing and story telling was. I almost put it down on a few occasions. Unfortunately the writing gift, at least for this genre, did not get passed down from father and son. Maybe Daniel will improve if he finds more of his father's outlines to turn into books, and I hope he does, but Trauma was a pretty disappointing read.

Jeff

Back