• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

mcad64 said:
Orangesandlemons.jpg

:bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

Happy Saturday everyone... :banana-dance:

4195XA2WSAL_zpse7d50fbb.jpg

Cinema: A Romantic Vision -- CD

Dori Caymmi

1999 Zebra Records

Dori Caymmi is a veteran guitarist, singer, composer and arranger who has successfully married the popular musical forms of his native Brazil with American jazz. On Cinema: A Romantic Vision, Caymmi offers gentle interpretations of familiar tunes associated with the movies.

With 10 recognizable melodies done up in Caymmi's soulful Brazilian style, Cinema is a soothing listen. The artist's distinctive chordal approach on acoustic guitar is prominently featured, and his arrangements are lush and impressionistic. Select songs also feature strings, horns, backing vocals, and Caymmi's wordless singing. Musicians include Don Grusin and Billy Childs on keyboards, Tom Scott and Gary Meek on saxophones, Abraham Laboriel on bass, Michael Schapiro on drums, and Paulhino Da Costa on percussion.

A popular performer and film composer in his native Brazil, Caymmi carries on in the venerable tradition of his father and another major influence, Antonio Carlos Jobim. Covers of songs such as "Pink Panther," "My Favorite Things," and "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" are easy-going but elegant.

Flavored with lilting samba and bossa beats, subtle dashes of pop-jazz, and intricate instrumentation, Cinema rouses that sublime wistfulness the Brazilians call saudade.

Record Label: Zebra Records

1. The Pink Panther: Pink Panther
2. The Sound Of Music: My Favorite Things
3. James Bond: James Bond (Main Theme)
4. Cinema Paradiso: Cinema Paradiso
5. West Side Story: Something's Coming
6. Space Jam: I Believe I Can Fly
7. Black Orpheus: Manha De Carnaval
8. Tootsie: It Might Be You
9. The Sandpiper: The Shadow Of Your Smile
10. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid: Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
11. Space Jam: I Believe I Can Fly (w/Vocal)

Personnel includes: Dori Caymmi (vocals, acoustic guitar); Carmen Bradford, Arnold McCuller (vocals); Gary Meek (soprano & alto saxophones, clarinet, bass clarinet); Scott Mayo (soprano saxophone, background vocals); Billy Childs (piano); Don Grusin (keyboards); Tim Weston (electric guitar); Abraham Laboriel (bass); Michael Shapiro (drums); Paulinho Da Costa (percussion); Tom Scott.Recorded at Entourage Studio, North Hollywood, California; Ocean Way Studios, Hollywood, California."Pink Panther" was nominated for the 2000 Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement

51z2Qg0PZ%2BL._SS400_.jpg

Stardust - The Music of Hoagy Carmichael -- SACD

Bill Charlap

2002/2003 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

With his elegant lyric sensibility and use of classic harmonics, which might best be characterized as equal parts Hank Jones and Bill Evans, pianist Bill Charlap manages to suggest something at once timeless and modern in his approach to jazz piano. And while references to past and present masters of the keyboard abound in this recital of Hoagy Carmichael compositions (as in his tasty appropriation of Evans's tolling intro to "Some Other Time" on a poignant reading of "The Nearness of You," or his interpolation of Red Garland's "Billy Boy" as a prelude to "I Walk with Music"), Charlap manages to evoke the dreamy, unhurried character redolent of so much of Carmichael's music, while maintaining his own probing, crystalline presence. Thus, while a briskly swinging jaunt through "Jubilee" finds him navigating an equestrian set of changes in a round-robin romp with his exceptionally empathetic rhythm mates (bassist Peter Washington and drummer Kenny Washington), his sultry flirting with tenorist Frank Wess on "Blue Orchids" and his lofty harmonic byplay with guitarist Jim Hall reveal a musician wise beyond his years--restrained and relaxed and confident enough not to hide behind a fusillade of empty notes. Such maturity is part of what makes his storytelling accompaniments behind master vocalists Tony Bennett and Shirley Horn--and a breathtakingly slow, humid trio treatment of "Georgia"--so richly rewarding. --Chip Stern

1. Jubilee
2. I Get Along Without You Very Well
3. Rockin' Chair
4. I Walk With Music
5. Two Sleepy People
6. Nearness Of You
7. One Morning In May
8. Blue Orchids
9. Georgia On My Mind
10. Stardust
11. Skylark

51SHUx1xi-L.jpg

Really Big! -- Remastered CD

The Jimmy Heath Orchestra

1960/2007 Riverside/Concord Records

Jimmy Heath's first chance to lead a fairly large group, an all-star ten-piece, found him well featured both on tenor and as an arranger/composer. With such colorful players as cornetist Nat Adderley, flugelhornist Clark Terry, altoist Cannonball Adderley, and either Cedar Walton or Tommy Flanagan on piano, Heath introduces a few originals (including "Big 'P'" and "A Picture of Heath") and uplifts "Green Dolphin Street," "Dat Dere," and "My Ideal," among others. A well-conceived set. [Originally released in 1960, Really Big! was reissued on CD in 2007.] ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Big "P"
2. Old Fashioned Fun
3. Mona's Mood
4. Dat Dere
5. Nails
6. On Green Dolphin Street
7. My Ideal
8. Picture of Heath, The
9. Nails - (take 1, bonus track)

Personnel: Jimmy Heath (tenor saxophone); Julian "Cannonball" Adderley (alto saxophone); Pat Patrick (baritone saxophone); Clark Terry (trumpet); Nat Adderley (cornet); Dick Berg (French horn); Tom McIntosh (trombone); Tommy Flanagan, Cedar Walton (piano); Percy Heath (bass); Albert "Tootie" Heath (drums).Recorded at Plaza Sound Studios, New York, New York on June 24 & 28, 1960. Originally released on Riverside (1188). Includes liner notes by Orrin Keepnews.Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1992, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).

5182tGov5LL.jpg

Live From Studio A In New York City -- Hybrid SACD

Johnny Frigo with Bucky & John Pizzarelli

2003 Chesky Records

At the age of 71, Johnny Frigo finally had his debut as a leader on record, with the exception of an obscure effort in 1957. Although he had spent much of his career as a studio bassist, Frigo successfully switched full-time to his first love, the violin, and was immediately considered one of the top swing-based violinists. Joined by both Bucky and John Pizzarelli on guitars, either Ron Carter or Michael Moore on bass, and drummer Butch Miles, Frigo is in wonderful form on 14 standards, including "Pick Yourself Up," "Detour Ahead" (which he had co-written while with the Soft Winds in the late '40s), "Stompin' at the Savoy" and "The Song Is You." This recommended CD launched the Chesky label. Review by Scott Yanow

[1] Pick Yourself Up and Start All Over Again

[2] Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me

[3] Detour Ahead

[4] Just Friends

[5] Estrellita

[6] Stompin' At The Savoy

[7] Early Autumn

[8] You Stepped Out Of A Dream

[9] In A Sentimental Mood

[10] The Song Is You

[11] I'm Through With Love

[12] Summer Me, Winter Me

[13] Tangerine

[14] I'll Never Be The Same

Johnny Frigo - violin

Bucky Pizzarelli - guitar (right side)

John Pizzarelli - guitar (left side)

Ron Carter - bass (tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8)

Michael Moore - bass (tracks 9 - 13)

Butch Miles - drums

I have been so busy with spring finally arriving, getting ready for my trip to Jamaica and day to day happenings, I haven't listened to music in the HT in several days! Bad, Babs!

Zing purchased some new additions to the collection, I chose this this evening...

I luv Jennifer!
MI0003790118.jpg

My favorite tracks were...

Track #2...It's Your World feat. R. Kelly
Track #3...He Ain't Going Nowhere feat. Iggy Azalea

81i5rRc4deL._SY355_.jpg

I almost didn't buy this one. Most recordings of bands that surface, years later after their Heyday, aren't very good (they weren't published at the time for a good reason). Still, I'm a Dan-Head so I popped for it; its a live recording in a radio station, sounds like there's about twenty folks in with them by the applause at the end of each number.
This was recorded after their 3rd album, Pretzel Logic, was released, they were at the end of their touring life but wow, all these guys were still in the band here: Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, Denny Dias, Jeff Porcaro, Michael McDonald! Wish it was better recorded, as the band is burnin'!!! They included a couple tunes I just love but never got much (any?) airplay: Bodhisattva, Boston Rag, Any Major Dude, King of the World (a cool tune about a ham radio operator), and a much different version of Your Gold Teeth II. There's also a never-before-released tune called "This All Too Mobile Home", but I haven't got that far yet.
A cool historical nugget, but only for diehard Dan-Heads. :bow-blue:

Happy Sunday everyone... :banana-rock:

51DXblxkdnL._SS500_.jpg

Black, Brown and Beige -- Remastered CD

Duke Ellington and his Orchestra Featuring Mahalia Jackson

1958/1999 Columbia/Legacy

Amazon.com

As a composer and bandleader associated indelibly with the nightclub scenes of pre-Swing Era jazz, Duke Ellington would have a difficult time getting respect in the button-down world of concert music. And when Ellington premiered his first long-form piece, Black, Brown and Beige, in 1943 (available on the stunning Carnegie Hall Concerts, January 1943), he was considered a dilettante. He laid the work aside until this recording, which came in early 1958--with the added oomph of gospel vocalist Mahalia Jackson on board for all the suite's vocal parts. On this expanded reissue, Columbia has added an alternate take of the entire piece as well as two unrelated tracks recorded during the Black, Brown sessions but never before released. The suite is an expansive look, from Ellington's vantage, of course, at the evolution of African American history and culture. So there are ripples of spirited tone poetry, soaring gospel vocals from Jackson (with spare, aching piano from Ellington in spots), thundering horn-fronted swing from the band, and a consistency and unity on par with any symphonic work of the modern era. Ellington was always sensitive about this piece. After all, it showed a lot of what he held in high esteem: history, musical meditations on culture, and a full, colorful use of a band that Ellington held together for an amazingly long time. If only for Mahalia Jackson's takes on "Come Sunday," by now an acknowledged standard, this set is awesome. --Andrew Bartlett

All tracks by Duke Ellington

"Part I" – 8:17
"Part II" – 6:14
"Part III" (aka Light) – 6:26
"Part IV" (aka Come Sunday) – 7:58
"Part V" (aka Come Sunday) – 3:46
"Part VI" (23rd Psalm) – 3:01 Bonus tracks on re-releases
"Track 360" (aka Trains) (alternative take) - 2:02
"Blues in Orbit" (aka Tender) (alternative take) - 2:36
"Part I" (alternative take) – 6:49
"Part II" (alternative take) – 6:38
"Part III" (alternative take) – 3:08
"Part IV" (alternative take) – 2:23
"Part V" (alternative take) – 5:51
"Part VI" (alternative take) – 1:59
"Studio conversation" (Mahalia Swears) – 0:07
"Come Sunday" (a cappella) – 5:47
"(Pause track)" – 0:06

-------

Duke Ellington — piano
William "Cat" Anderson — trumpet
Harold Shorty Baker — trumpet
Clark Terry — trumpet
Ray Nance — trumpet, violin
John Sanders — valve trombone
Quentin Jackson — trombone
Britt Woodman — trombone
Paul Gonsalves — tenor saxophone
Bill Graham — alto saxophone
Harry Carney — baritone saxophone
Jimmy Woode — bass
Sam Woodyard — drums
Mahalia Jackson — vocals

CannonballampColtrane_zpsf0a14af1.jpg

Cannonball & Coltrane -- Remastered CD

Julian (Cannonball) Adderley & John Coltrane

1959/1988 Emarcy Records

This LP (whose contents have been reissued many times) features the Miles Davis Sextet of 1959 without the leader. Altoist Cannonball Adderley and tenor saxophonist John Coltrane really push each other on these six selections, with this version of "Limehouse Blues" really burning. Coltrane's very serious sound is a striking contrast to the jubilant Adderley alto; the latter is showcased on "Stars Fell on Alabama." With pianist Wynton Kelly, bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Jimmy Cobb playing up to their usual level, this gem is highly recommended. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Limehouse Blues
2. Stars Fell on Alabama
3. Wabash
4. Grand Central
5. You're a Weaver of Dreams
6. The Sleeper

Personnel: John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Wynton Kelly (piano); Jimmy Cobb (drums).Liner Note Author: Don Heckman.Recording information: Universal Recording Studios, Chicago, IL (02/03/1959).

ebbb9833e7a0574eecbe2110.L.jpg

The Cats -- Remastered CD

Tommy Flanagan, John Coltrane, Kenny Burrell, Idrees Sulieman

1957/1991 Blue Note/OJC Records

In 1957, the greatest year for recorded music including modern jazz, Detroit was a hot spot, a centerpiece to many hometown heroes as well as short-term residents like John Coltrane and Miles Davis. It was here that Trane connected with pianist Tommy Flanagan, subsequently headed for the East Coast, and recorded this seminal hard bop album. In tow were fellow Detroiters -- drummer Louis Hayes, bassist Doug Watkins, and guitarist Kenny Burrell, with the fine trumpeter from modern big bands Idrees Sulieman as the sixth wheel. From the opening number, the classic "Minor Mishap," you realize something special is happening. Flanagan is energized, playing bright and joyous melody lines, comping and soloing like the blossoming artist he was. Coltrane is effervescent and inspired, hot off the presses from the Miles Davis Quintet and searching for more expressionism. The other hard bop originals, "Eclypso" and "Solacium," easily burn with a cool flame not readily associated with East Coast jazz. Flanagan himself is the catalyst more than the horns -- dig his soaring, animated solo on "Eclypso" as he quotes "Jeepers Creepers." The near 12-minute blues "Tommy's Tune" is the perfect vehicle for Burrell, a prelude for his classics of the same period "All Day Long" and "All Night Long." The lone trio session, on the standard "How Long Has This Been Going On?," is regarded as quintessential Flanagan, and quite indicative of the Midwestern Motor City flavor Flanagan and his many peers brought into the mainstream jazz of the day and beyond. One yearns for alternate takes of this session. The Cats is a prelude to much more music from all of these masters that would come within a very short time period thereafter, and cannot come more highly recommended. It's a must-buy for the ages. ~ Michael G. Nastos

"Minor Mishap" — 7:26
"How Long Has This Been Going On" — 5:58
"Eclypso" — 7:57
"Solacium" — 9:10
"Tommy's Tune" — 11:58

Idrees Sulieman — trumpet
John Coltrane — tenor saxophone on all but "How Long Has This Been Going On"
Tommy Flanagan — piano
Kenny Burrell — guitar
Doug Watkins — bass
Louis Hayes — drums

2v01g9015B15D.jpg

The Blues And The Abstract Truth -- Remastered 20 Bit CD

Oliver Nelson

1961/1995 MCA/Impulse! Records

Tremendous album, September 5, 2005
By Bomojaz (South Central PA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Blues and the Abstract Truth (Audio CD)

One of those albums that over time has entered the legendary category - very much a landmark recording. STOLEN MOMENTS has not only become a jazz standard, but this initial recording of the tune is a masterpiece. Everything and everyone on it just clicks perfectly: Dolphy's solo on flute absolutely demands the listener's attention. And the other tunes are almost just as good, especially HOE-DOWN and CASCADES, both taken up tempo. The album was like a gust of fresh air when it first came out on LP in 1961, and it still sounds fresh today. One of those must-have CDs.

"Stolen Moments"
"Hoe-Down"
"Cascades"
"Yearnin'"
"Butch and Butch"
"Teenie's Blues"

(All tracks composed by Nelson.)

---------

Oliver Nelson — alto saxophone, tenor saxophone
Eric Dolphy — flute, alto saxophone
George Barrow — baritone saxophone
Freddie Hubbard — trumpet
Bill Evans — piano
Paul Chambers — bass
Roy Haynes — drums

51rKD19PvqL.jpg

The Bridge -- Remastered CD

Sonny Rollins

1962/2003 RCA-Bluebird Records

The 1962 release of THE BRIDGE marked the end of Sonny Rollins's two year-plus hiatus from live performance and recording. An absolutely stunning comeback, the album clearly shows both the technical and spiritual benefits that can be gained from intense woodshedding. Sonny's tone, already legendary, is even more wonderfully full and mellow here. The whole band, especially the amazing Bob Cranshaw on bass, swings so breezily and blows so delicately, even on the up-tempo numbers, that "hard" bop almost seems a misnomer.The album's title refers to an actual bridge (the Willamsburg, which connects Manhattan and Brooklyn), where Sonny spent long hours practicing alone, and the record possesses a deep, meditative quality which conjures perfectly the image of the city rushing by while a solitary man sits immersed in his music. Guitarist Jim Hall in particular seems to instinctively pick up on Sonny's vibe. On Billie Holiday's "God Bless the Child," Hall unfolds long, lush lines that are a model of taste and restraint, perfectly complementing every note of Sonny's sexy, bluesy solos. One of Sonny Rollins's finest albums, THE BRIDGE gives the listener an overwhelming sense of rightness.

Track Listing
1. Without a Song
2. Where Are You?
3. John S.
4. The Bridge
5. God Bless the Child
6. You Do Something to Me

Personnel: Sonny Rollins (tenor saxophone); Jim Hall (guitar); Bob Cranshaw (bass); Ben Riley, Harry T. Saunders (drums).Recorded at RCA Victor Studios, New York, New York on January 30 & February 13 & 14, 1962. Originally released on RCA (2527). Includes liner notes by FRancis Davis and George Avakian.

BRIAN WILSON - "NO PIER PRESSURE"

Peer genius? Nah... Not really. Pure fun? Not entirely, but pretty much. There are a few dogs here, but I'm entertained overall. Always nice to hear Al Jardine sing with BW. And some of the songs with other guest singers I kinda like. Was surprised Kacey Musgraves vocal was pretty good; I thought she was supposed to suck.

One thing that bugs me is the song "the Right Time". Although I enjoy it, I swear Ive heard this song before on a beach boys album. I just can't pin down which song exactly. So maybe not so original on that one.

812VWU09fpL._SX522_.jpg

earls.jpg

Earls of Leicester - enjoying this one a lot, very old-timey bluegrass. (Think O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack.) Very good playing and harmony vocals. That's Jerry Douglas on the left, not familiar with the other folks in the band but they're good.

Highly recommended.

Happy Saturday everyone... :banana-dance:

41M-4x%2B4NEL._SS500_.jpg

A Musical Romance -- Remastered CD

Billie Holiday & Lester Young

2002 Verve Records

Recorded in 1938, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1958.

Romeo and Juliet...Eloise and Abelard...Tracy and Hepburn. These are among history's great romantic relationships, but perhaps the deepest of all romances - in all of American music, at any rate - was the one that was carried on in the recording studio between Billie Holiday (1915-1959) and Lester Young (1910-1959). "Lady Day" and "The President" (they gave one another their nicknames) made a series of "sides," as they were called in those days, that to this day absolutely define love in tune. She was - and is - the greatest of all jazz vocalists. His tenor saxophone style delivered the real Birth of the Cool. Together, they sang and played with an unparalleled sense of intimacy, warmth, and sensuous, behind-the-beat swing, whether the melody was pure gold (like "The Man I Love," "Time On My Hands") or closer to brass ("When You're Smiling," "Back In Your Own Backyard"). Originally produced by the redoubtable John Hammond, and intended first and foremost for jukeboxes, these sixteen seminal performances have been culled from the Grammy-winning 10-CD boxed set Lady Day: The Complete Billie Holiday on Columbia, 1933-1944. They also feature vital contributions from, among others, pianist-arranger Teddy Wilson, who served as leader on many of Holiday's record dates, Swing era superstar clarinetist Benny Goodman, ace trumpeter Buck Clayton (Young's cohort from Count Basie's definitive swing band), the sublime Ellingtonian alto saxophonist Johnny Hodges, and Roy Eldridge, little giant of the trumpet. But Lady Day and Pres, forever dancing in the dark, make this a musical romance that will never die. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

1. The Man I Love
2. This Year's Kisses
3. Mean to Me
4. Back in Your Own Backyard
5. I'll Never Be the Same
6. Me, Myself and I
7. Time on My Hands
8. Who Wants Love?
9. I Must Have That Man
10. Foolin' Myself
11. When You're Smiling
12. A Sailboat in the Moonlight
13. He's Funny That Way
14. Laughing at Life
15. Without Your Love
16. Fine and Mellow

5a28c0a398a00e8545ac2210.L.jpg

Oscar In Paris - Live at the Salle Pleyel -- 2 - 20 Bit CD Set

Oscar Peterson

1997 Telarc Jazz

Just Incredible August 27, 2003
By Jeff Phillips
Format:Audio CD

I have collected over 100 Peterson recordings and this has to be my favorite. First of all, this CD was recorded AFTER his stroke. In fact, I have played this CD for people that have no idea that they are listening to a man essentially using one hand. Oscar has limited use of his left, as I saw at the Blue Note in 1998.
The fire that he has going in this recording is truly astounding. In fact, on Sweet Georgia Brown, he plays some of the most inventive lines that I have ever heard him play on this tune. This CD is important. It shows, to an even greater extent, the true genious of Oscar Peterson. To have a health setback like that and to "come back" as he did is remarkable. This CD changed my entire practice regiment after I heard what he was able to do with what amounts to one hand. This recording was earth shattering for me. Buy this CD....you won't regret it.

Disc: 1
1. Falling In Love With Love
2. Nighttime
3. Tranquille
4. Smudge
5. Love Ballade
6. Sushi

Disc: 2
1. Kelly's Blues
2. She Has Gone
3. You Look Good To Me
4. Peace
5. Sweet Georgia Brown
6. Here's That Rainy Day/We Will Love Again
7. We Will Love Again

JimmyForrestSoulStreet_zps027efe92.jpg

Soul Street -- Remastered CD

Jimmy Forrest Quintet, Sextet and with The Oliver Nelson Big Band

1962/1998 Prestige New Jazz/Fantasy Records

A popular yet underrated tenor saxophonist, Jimmy Forrest is featured in several different settings on this 1998 CD reissue. Forrest matches wits with fellow tenors King Curtis and Oliver Nelson on "Soul Street" (his opening phrase is a classic), plays three standards (including an effective "Sonny Boy") with a combo that includes pianist Hugh Lawson and is featured on "I Wanna Blow, Blow, Blow" with a nonet also featuring trombonist Buster Cooper. The remainder of the CD has Forrest showcased on three numbers with an octet arranged by Oliver Nelson. These tracks are of lesser interest (particularly Henry Mancini's "Experiment in Terror") but still include some fine tenor playing. With this reissue, all of Forrest's work for the Prestige and New Jazz labels has been made available on CD. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Soul Street
2. I Love You
3. Sonny Boy
4. Soft Summer Breeze
5. Experiment in Terror
6. Just A-Sittin' and A-Rockin'
7. That's All
8. Blow, Blow - (Take 2, bonus track) I Wanna Blow

Personnel: Jimmy Forrest (tenor saxophone); Oliver Nelson (conductor, tenor saxophone); Jerome Richardson (alto saxophone, flute); King Curtis (tenor saxophone); Pepper Adams (baritone saxophone); Art Farmer, Idrees Sulieman (trumpet); George "Buster" Cooper (trombone); Gene Casey, Hugh Lawson, Ray Bryant (piano); Calvin Newborn, Tiny Grimes (guitar); George Duvivier, Tommy Potter, Wendell Marshall (bass); Roy Haynes, Clarence Johnston, Osie Johnson (drums); Ray Barretto (congas).Oliver Nelson Big Band includes: George Barrow, Seldon Powell (tenor saxophone); Ernie Royal (trumpet); Jimmy Cleveland (trombone); Chris Woods (piano); Mundell Lowe (guitar); Richard Davis (bass); Ed Shaughnessy (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on August 29, 1958 and at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey between September 9, 1960 and June 1, 1962. Includes liner notes by Dan Morgenstern.Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1998, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).

41KKT1KYQVL_zpsb814e31b.jpg

A Garland of Red -- CD

The Red Garland Trio

1956/1991 Prestige/OJC Records

Thirty-three at the time of this, his first recording as a leader, pianist Red Garland already had his distinctive style fully formed and had been with the Miles Davis Quintet for a year. With the assistance of bassist Paul Chambers also in Davis's group and drummer Art Taylor, Garland is in superior form on six standards, Charlie Parker's "Constellation" during which he shows that he could sound relaxed at the fastest tempos and his own "Blue Red." Red Garland recorded frequently during the 1956-62 period and virtually all of his trio recordings are consistently enjoyable, this one being no exception. - Scott Yanow

"A Foggy Day" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) - 4:51
"My Romance" (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers) - 6:51
"What Is This Thing Called Love?" (Cole Porter) - 4:53
"Makin' Whoopee" (Walter Donaldson, Gus Kahn) - 4:15
"September in the Rain" (Al Dubin, Harry Warren) - 4:48
"Little Girl Blue" (Hart, Rodgers) - 5:07
"Constellation" (Charlie Parker) - 3:31
"Blue Red" (Red Garland) - 7:40

Personnel:
Red Garland - piano
Paul Chambers - bass
Art Taylor - drums