• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Velodyne Chrysalis Photon-10 Sub

D

Deleted member 133

As mentioned elsewhere, prior to Bat's GTG 4.0 I purchased a Velodyne Chrysalis Photon-10 sub and brought it back home with me.

This sub is ultra compact, weights 44 lbs, and has a stated low frequency extension of 23 Hz (-3 dB). It has a 1000W (RMS) class D amp that's capable of 2000W dynamic peaks. It is a discontinued model, and is identical to the Outlaw Audio ECS-10 (also discontinued.) I bought mine new through an Amazon seller for $585 delivered to my hotel. I believe that seller has a couple left.

During The Great Canadian GTG 1.0, Russ, Jon and I set it up in my family room HT, where it replaced a slightly bigger (by 50%) but far less capable Cerwin Vega sub. Set up was a breeze and my guess was it was at most 15 minutes from box to installed and fully calibrated.

Calibration was done via the most-excellent MCACC system found in the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-k receiver that I'm currently using in that room.

Basically you put the sub in place, plug it in, bypass the internal crossover, set the phase to 0, select power on and then connect the calibration mic to the receive and place the mic on a tripod in the primary listening position. The calibration menu pops up and you play along. At one point it said that the gain was too high on the sub so I backed it off a touch and the rest went without a hitch.

Set up and calibration was followed by some scene selections from Thor and the little sub really shone!

The next day Pauly's kids were watching a Harry Potter movie and I was impressed at how it rattled things in a nearby room that had never been rattled before! :)

Highly recommended at that price for installations where space and performance are both issues.

I've been listening to some stereo music with it today, and it works extremely well with the Studio 20 II's that I'm using as the mains in that room. It's clearly not just about LFEs!

Yeah, from the little bit of listening I did in there, it sounded good, and blended well. Very nice for an inconspicuous "living room sub."

Price update: just noticed that a different Amazon seller has it listed for $500 (new) - shipping included!

Hmmmm... where could I fit ANOTHER sub into my house? :)

JeffMackwood said:
Hmmmm... where could I fit ANOTHER sub into my house? :)
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Matt may have some input on this subject. Call it a hunch.

Being, a bass head myself I will second another sub for Matt. If you can't move the couch with just bass then you ain't got enough! :music-rockout:

Back