• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The shadow on blu-ray

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
Just got it today, amazon decided to ship it early apparently....

Anyways, its on blu-ray and given its past releases, i hope that this is a good one. i bought it nonetheless, and will be happy with it on the newer format.

at $12.96, its a steal. i know we have fans here, so i thought id give you a heads up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Th...IN=B00BWJQEHG&ASIN=B00BWJQEHG&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

the_shadow_on_bridge.jpg

That's a fun movie. For some reason it's one that I always just find myself watching when it's on.

took a couple of minutes in the movie, at times, well...

the beginning was pretty bad, like there was some imposed camera shake in the start, upto the castle shot... got dizzying at times.

the latter tho, a bit soft at times, but retains its old feel to it, like a real traditional movie. the sound effects, clearer but i have to say i miss the DTS track.

anyways, i hope that yall like it. i am pleased that i bought it, and dont regret it at all.

i have to devote some time to watch it again in whole.

Obviously one of my favorites. I'd like to hear about the PQ when you get a chance.

zod,

the pq isnt that bad, but it aint the best showcase either. there are times where it shows its age (sadly, i wasnt able to get any further than the club scene where he meets up with the uncle)...

the hard part for me was watching the beginning. it was shaky as hell, and well, until you see them drag in the thug... afterwards all is good.

its definitely better than your standard issue vhs, and despite some moments (remember the bridge scene?), the blacks are a tad, and i sadly have to admit are crushed. there are moments during the fight where it felt 'enhanced'. not too much, but you can tell it was retouched a bit. was it star wars retouched? no, not at all.

anyways, will give you my full report later on. in a nutshell, the balance of true grain and enhancements were done well enough to appreciate. it doesnt feel like a 'vintage' movie, but an old one.

hope this helps zod...

quick question, do you ever think that when alec plays the shadow counterpart, its his brother playing it? its not even the nose thats giving it away, but his eyes.

just a thought. and no, i didnt cheat and google it either.

jomari said:
quick question, do you ever think that when alec plays the shadow counterpart, its his brother playing it? its not even the nose thats giving it away, but his eyes.
I never thought of it that way. I just took it that he was using his ability to cloud minds and a little CGI to make him look like The Shadow from the pulp magzines.
the-shadow-sam-raimi.jpg

despite looking it up via wiki just now, i just realized that the brother i was mentioning earlier, william baldwin, wouldve been too young to er... play such a complex role. alec played both roles apparently.

anyways, food for thought i guess.

I just took it that he was using his ability to cloud minds and a little CGI to make him look like The Shadow from the pulp magzines.

darn it, i guess my mind was clouded a bit when watching this flick... :eek:bscene-buttred:

jomari said:
darn it, i guess my mind was clouded a bit when watching this flick... :eek:bscene-buttred:
I have the advantage of age. The Shadow was one of my father's favorite characters. Only the Shadow knows what evil lurks in the heart of men! That was a familiar saying growing up. The morphing into The Shadow was an intelligent and delicious use of CGI.

The Shadow and Ironman are the two best comic book movies for being true to character.

zod said:
jomari said:
Bitte sehr. I'm a reluctant double dipper so I want to see what's down the road. Were you the reviewer by any chance?

no my friend, and if it was, id be a bit more biased about it. :happy-smileygiantred:

nonetheless, i am still very pleased with my blu-ray... i am very happy with it. sadly tho, i do not have the original one, but rented it a while back. i can borrow it via netflix again and do a comparison if ever you'd like me to.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm content to wait. It could be a Xmas present - Only the Shadow knows.

So this movie is related to the old radio show? Over the past several months I've grown to like series like "The Shadow" and "Johnny Dollar" because I've been listening to them on Sirius XM's "Radio Classics" while I drive. I'll have to look into this.

John

yromj said:
So this movie is related to the old radio show? Over the past several months I've grown to like series like "The Shadow" and "Johnny Dollar" because I've been listening to them on Sirius XM's "Radio Classics" while I drive. I'll have to look into this.

John

Yes, the shadow was originally based on the radio show, and ended up in publication afterwards. I will let our man Zod let you in more on it.

I have to admit this, after learning, reading more about him, ive loved his character almost as much as i love batman.

jomari said:
Yes, the shadow was originally based on the radio show, and ended up in publication afterwards. I will let our man Zod let you in more on it.
Orson Welles did a turn as The Shadow:
WellesShadow.jpg

I have to admit this, after learning, reading more about him, ive loved his character almost as much as i love batman.
Same story really. Young wealthy man, comes of age, goes on sabbatical, saves New York city. A tale told two ways and told well. It's also why Ra's al Ghul should've never have been in Batman Begins.

baltimoresunoct011939again.jpg

zod said:
jomari said:
Orson Welles did a turn as The Shadow:
WellesShadow.jpg

Same story really. Young wealthy man, comes of age, goes on sabbatical, saves New York city. A tale told two ways and told well. It's also why Ra's al Ghul should've never have been in Batman Begins.

baltimoresunoct011939again.jpg
Interesting....care to elaborate?

Batman said:
Interesting....care to elaborate?
The simple answer goes something like this:
Ra's al Ghul - was a character introduced in 1971 to give a fully fledged Batman an evil equal sort of like Fu Manchu to Nayland Smith; a Moriarty to Holmes. Ra's al Ghul always referred to Batman as The Detecvtive. The Batman franchise had become stale and DC decided to go away from the usual cast of characters - Riddler, Penguin, Clayface, Catwoman, Joker, Two Face. It also introduced a love interest in Talia. Ra's al Ghul made appearances into the 90's. I own or have owned everyone of those comics/graphic novels. Batman comics became more adult.

Frank Miller re-energized the Batman franchise again in 1986 with the best Batman story ever - The Dark Knight Returns. Another adult shift for the series. Batman Begins was a loose adaptation of Batman Year One written by Frank Miller in 1987. Bruce Wayne had spent his time away studying with the best minds and teachers to become a detective and develop his physical skills. Ra's al Ghul was never involved with Bruce Wayne becoming Batman.

My own personal beef is that Hollywood has totally punted on the detective aspect of Batman. We'll never have some of the better Batman stories like:
73_128012_0_Batman434TheManyDeathsOfBatman.jpg

And this thread is totally hijacked. Any suggestions?

Back