• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Squeezebox Help

Huey

Famous
I have a SB3 streaming music to the stereo downstairs, and use my Android phone with the official squeezebox app to control the music. It sometimes struggles to find the SB3, but usually after hitting the find button a couple of times, the player will show up. Since last week though, I have not been able to see the player when I load the app up, although my phone had been acting up, and I was do for a new phone and figured that might fix it. New phone and even loading the app on the ipad, still can't see the player. The player will play fine with a manual remote though.

Anybody else ever have this issue? I did a search and couldn't find anything that would help. The only thing I haven't tried, was reloading the software and seeing if that fixes it.

If you haven't already, you might want to try assigning the SB3 a static IP address. This is also helpful if you ever want to control it from a web browser - you can set a bookmark directly to it using that IP address.

CMonster said:
If you haven't already, you might want to try assigning the SB3 a static IP address. This is also helpful if you ever want to control it from a web browser - you can set a bookmark directly to it using that IP address.

That would be a way around it, it just seems strange that it stopped working all of the sudden. The only thing I found on the web are some postings from 2011 where the same thing was happening with duets and their controllers. Something about firmware on the duet being older than squeezebox software, but I haven't updated anything lately.

I've had similar issues. Static IP addresses really help. I also had a lot better luck running Logitech Media Server on my NAS than had running it as a background process on various PCs.

CMonster said:

I'm confused. Are you talking about assigning static IP's for each Squeezebox or a static IP for the computer running Logitech Media Server (or whatever they are calling it these days).

I was referring to the SB3. Whenever I have a device that is always on the network and it needs to be discover-able by other devices that jump on and off the network (phones, tablets, etc), then I find it helps to reserve the IP for the always-on-the-network device (AppleTV, blu-ray player, AV Receiver).

Huey said:
I have a SB3 streaming music to the stereo downstairs, and use my Android phone with the official squeezebox app to control the music. It sometimes struggles to find the SB3, but usually after hitting the find button a couple of times, the player will show up. Since last week though, I have not been able to see the player when I load the app up, although my phone had been acting up, and I was do for a new phone and figured that might fix it. New phone and even loading the app on the ipad, still can't see the player. The player will play fine with a manual remote though.

Anybody else ever have this issue? I did a search and couldn't find anything that would help. The only thing I haven't tried, was reloading the software and seeing if that fixes it.

Seems to me if it works with the remote and not the app the fault lies with the app? I had that problem with Ipeng (ipod) for awhile and now I am having that problem with Squeezer (Blackberry). Never a problem with the remote (Slim Devices, Logitech, or Universal).

Two separate issues. First, the Squeezebox clients have a bad habit of losing their server connection. Second, the server itself can be a bit unstable. I've found that giving the server a static IP and running it on the NAS mitigates, but does not entirely eliminate, these issues.

I used a static IP address on the PC running the Logitech SB Server software and that solved my random lost connection problems. I have not needed to use static IP address on the clients.

I had no issues with my s5 and tab s until both were upgraded to lollipop. The app on both can't see the SB. doing some research, it's noted that the app is not compatible with lollipop. I suspect Logitech isn't investing resources into a fading product line. Actually I use SB less as you can't stream things like Amazon Music and Play Music.

Dumb question alert. After reading this thread I decided it was time I set my Lenovo Thinkpad (running the Logitech SB software)to a static IP. I did it on the the machine as suggested. Here's the dumb question. In my router, it no longer shows up. I assume because it is not a DHCP ip as they are the only ones listed. Is this a function of my router or are all routers like this. If so, in case I have a senior moment and forget its address, short of my going downstairs and running IPCONFIG, how do i find out it's ip number?
Mike

There are two ways to set a static IP address. One is to set it at the computer, as you have done. My router won't show static IP addresses set that way in the DHCP table, but it has a function which scans the network and knows every device it is passing traffic for, and all the IP addresses show up in that screen. That's how I do it.

The other option on most routers is to assign a static IP address in the DHCP server based on the MAC address on the device. You can get the MAC address off the PC, or most DHCP servers will list it somewhere in the DHCP table where you could write it down and apply it to the fixed assigned IP address in the DHCP server. I don't do it that way because if I choose to replace the PC or its Network Adapter I'd have to change the DHCP server.

Well reinstalling didn't help, although there are a couple of newer versions of the Squeezebox software, but they don't like they ever became official builds. Guess I'll have to try and figure out the static ip thing, although that option would only really work well with the ipad, and not my phone.

Huey said:
Well reinstalling didn't help, although there are a couple of newer versions of the Squeezebox software, but they don't like they ever became official builds. Guess I'll have to try and figure out the static ip thing, although that option would only really work well with the ipad, and not my phone.

I don't assign static IP addresses to my iPad, phone, and work laptop - I assign 'em to things permanently on my home network: home computer running iTunes, my two AppleTVs, network-enable pre/pro, etc.

CMonster said:
Huey said:

I don't assign static IP addresses to my iPad, phone, and work laptop - I assign 'em to things permanently on my home network: home computer running iTunes, my two AppleTVs, network-enable pre/pro, etc.

I do the exact same thing. It's simple to do and it works very well.

John

I use static IP addresses for my NAS, the Windows Server VM running on my NAS and my Tablo DVR. I think everything else is dynamic.

Here's the other thing, I noticed that the internet speed was really slow, at times down to 2mbps, spent 45 minutes with WOW trying to get it fixed, and ended up scheduling an appointment for tomorrow. After I got off the phone, I decided to unplug everything that was hooked via powerline adapters and disable the wifi on all of the devices that were using it. Must have had conflicting ip addresses as that fixed the speed. Now when opening the app, my player shows up, but I can't chose it. Not sure if the two are related, but it does seem strange.

And when I tried squeezecenter app on the Ipad last night, worked as it should. Just can't get my phone to work right.

Huey said:
Here's the other thing, I noticed that the internet speed was really slow, at times down to 2mbps, spent 45 minutes with WOW trying to get it fixed, and ended up scheduling an appointment for tomorrow. After I got off the phone, I decided to unplug everything that was hooked via powerline adapters and disable the wifi on all of the devices that were using it. Must have had conflicting ip addresses as that fixed the speed. Now when opening the app, my player shows up, but I can't chose it. Not sure if the two are related, but it does seem strange.

I hate it when that happens. Chasing down the culprit can be a huge PITA.

CMonster said:
Huey said:

Chuck,
Next time I am out that way I would like what type of stuff the your network-enable pre/pro allows you to do. I am not taking anywhere near full advantage of my Marantz so I wanna see what I am missing.

Back