• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sony UBP-X800

No. Mine was new.

Well, that just sucks.

This hobby is insane in that it is common to find someone who has a totally terrible experience and someone else who has never had an issue. There are brands I refuse to buy after having had multiple unacceptable experiences, while others love those same brands and only have amazing experiences. No amount of trouble shooting ever explains the differences in experiences. It is weird.

Well, I failed to keep up on everyone's individual purchase. Many of the group got killer deals on product by buying refurbished units. I was one of those, paying merely $120 for mine, but the first one didn't arrive with a remote control, so Amazon replaced it.

For three generations of Sony BD players, I have plugged them into an easily accessible outlet so that I could perform a hard re-boot if and as required. This is nothing new with the X800!

However I must say that I've only had to do so once, with one of my two X800 units. A huge improvement over previous generations.

But it does not surprise me that others could be having problems.

I have posted extensively in the past about my love-hate relationship with Sony.

Jeff

I initially had problems with freezing up but in the last 3-4 months it has frozen maybe once. I did do a firmware upgrade and that's when it seemed to be ok.

I use my frequently (at least once a day) for streaming and disc playing.

I finally ran the firmware update on the UBP-X800 last night. Afterwards I went through the menu and updated all the settings for my new audio setup. I set all the audio output to stereo by default and ensured it was the highest quality formats. This player works very well for my needs, but I am still not using the streaming video services.

I finally ran the firmware update on the UBP-X800 last night. Afterwards I went through the menu and updated all the settings for my new audio setup. I set all the audio output to stereo by default and ensured it was the highest quality formats. This player works very well for my needs, but I am still not using the streaming video services.
At least for me, I think the scaler is better in the player than on my tv, so streamed content looks better for me with the Sony than anything else I have. It did lock up yesterday when I went to skip the intro to a show. It eventually just restarted without me having to do anything.

I have been having problems since the update. After watching a 4K disc when stop the disk and want to return to the main page the screen flashes until I disconnect the HDMI cable and plug it back in.

I had this problem when I first got the palyer but it was fixed with a previous update but now the problem has returned.

I'm still itching to get one but at the current $250 price I don't think I can justify it. I missed on the Best Buy refurbished ones .

This player is really a mess. Way too many, mine included, have been having a lot of issues. At the $150.00 I paid, and as little as I use it I give it some wiggle room. I would however not even consider recommending it at this point.

This player is really a mess. Way too many, mine included, have been having a lot of issues. At the $150.00 I paid, and as little as I use it I give it some wiggle room. I would however not even consider recommending it at this point.
So what will be next or is all dead

That sucks! I've only had the odd lock up every now and then, and I'm using it almost daily. Wonder why you have so much more trouble than I do Jack.

I also use mine daily. Only problem I am having is the one I described above with 4K discs that came up after the most recent update

That sucks! I've only had the odd lock up every now and then, and I'm using it almost daily. Wonder why you have so much more trouble than I do Jack.
No idea. Maybe because I use it so infrequently. For the record I have wired directly to my router for updates and never disconnect it. Off the top of my head I can think of 5 times I've had issues. That's not including the problem I had with it when first hooking it up. Also we really never have power outages here. While most of the Houston area was under water I only lost power once for about 20 minutes. Surges, maybe, not sure on that one. It is however the only electronic item I own that's had problems.

So what will be next or is all dead
Nothing, for now. Most problems are fairly easily remedied. Also I watch almost no movies on it. Since my samsung TV now has the direct TV now app I no longer use it for streaming. That leaves music and concert Blurays. Concerts, let's say once a month. Music, much much less often since going with Amazon music. I find streaming music though Amazon to be just fine for all but the very most critical listening. 80% of the time I listen to music its casual,just simply for my love of music. For me that's still sitting down with the lights down low and doing nothing else. This would probably qualify as critical for most. Critical means a bit more to me.

I find it insane you are having so many problems. Mine has only worked every time I try to use it. Since building and installing my new speakers, it has been utilized for playing multiple CDs every day. I've only played two video discs, one DVD and one BluRay, and those were fine.

I did discover that my Amazon Fire TV has to be restarted every time I change the HDMI input on my TV watch the BluRay player, but I blame my older model TV for that.

Back