• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sling TV

Huey

Famous
For those that want to cut the cord but don't want to lose ESPN and other networks, Dish is coming out with a new streaming service. :text-link:

The price when combined with ads and the single stream limit make it somewhat less appealing, especially without it being on demand or having true DVR capability. The single stream limit in particular makes it very unappealing to someone with a family. I don't know what they were thinking with that one. Stupid.

It's far from ideal, but it's the first step in the direction many of us want to go: Pay for what you use, dammit! :eusa-clap:

Question, since my only internet provider is Time Warner Cable, how would that work ?

Sling is an over the top service. You'd keep and pay for your current Internet service through whatever service you have. You'd pay Sling for streaming access to the channels they offer. This is a standalone setrvice.

Wether TWC or any ISP chooses to throttle Sling content is a Net Neutrality question.

Since the Republicans are now in control of both houses and thoroughly in the pocket of the big cable and telecom companies, I would not bet on net neutrality anytime soon.

The FCC wants info about this service with regards to the Comcast/TWC merger. Since all the teleco/cable co's made Netflix pay more to use their internet services, there's a question that if the merger takes place, the new cable company could just kill SlingTV. Pray the new Congress will address this issue with the telecom & cable company's.

http://consumerist.com/2015/01/15/why-d ... le-merger/

There will be no net neutrality if the Republicans have anything to say about it.

They can't just "kill" sling. The companies that operate the backbone of the internet can request that echostar compensate them for increased traffic and speed demands.

I just don't want to spend $20/mo for live TV with no DVR capability and nearly 20 minutes of ads per hour.

Well we pretty much watch TBS, AMC and ESPN so I figure we can't lose.

Locals off of an antenna and we already do Netflix, also we have never had a DVR so we aren't missing anything there...

Let us know if you do walls. Like I said, I'm going to wait till next football season and by then maybe they'll have some more stations. I'm still just OTA and have Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Just got antenna all situated so I get my locals. Gonna drop dish and get sling this week yet. Right now we pay a little over a $100 a month for TV we don't watch so at $20 a month this is kind of hard to pass up. And like I said earlier we watch mostly what sling offers anyways.

And we can always jump back to dish in a couple months if it doesn't work out, and maybe then they will offer me a better deal. Lol

Back