• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Paradigm Studio 100's or ????

Bob R

Well, my tax return needs to be spent on toys this year. I've got $3K coming and that will get me into a new pair of L/R towers.

I love my five studio 20's and they are the devil I know. I just want to upgrade a bit. The 100's will make me happy. I listened to the 60's last year and felt they sounded just like the 20's

What else should I listen to in this price range? The review on the SVS do not seem that great around here.

Who likes what?

Zing:

I'm guessing you mean the 836 series? They have a dealer in Boston.

Andy:

You know, now I just might be in a position to take my time and seek out used gems.

What's the goping rate on new? 50%. I know it depends on what and where.

Audiogon, E-Bay, & Craigslist?

thanks,

Bob R said:
Andy:

You know, now I just might be in a position to take my time and seek out used gems.

What's the goping rate on new? 50%. I know it depends on what and where.

Audiogon, E-Bay, & Craigslist?

thanks,

It can really vary by speaker and age. Often far less than 50%.

In the $3k range there would be many worthy targets. Dynaudio C1s, Legacy Focus just to name a couple. Craigslist, Audiogon, US Audio Mart and eBay (to a lesser extent).

I like the thrill of the chase too. Don't jump on the first deal. There are crazy deals available to patient shoppers. Once you get a feel for the market you'll know a good price when you see it.

Because of manufacturer speaker voicing, I recommend staying in the Paradigm line. If you intend to do a complete upgrade, that leaves the playing field wide open.

May I suggest Adam Audio passive ( GTC Series ) speakers.

Rope

Bob R said:
Zing:

The 800 series is comprised of three towers: 836, 826 and 816.

If you've already got 5 Studio 20's though, you probably ought to give a little more weight to the Studio 100's. They'll be better voiced to your current speakers, plus you have the option of a well-matched 7.1 setup should you ever want such a thing.

Some more food for thought: the Focal's minimum impedance is quite low (2.9 ohms @ 118Hz on the 826). Depending on what you're using to drive them, you may need an easier load.

Zing said:
Bob R said:
Zing:

The 800 series is comprised of three towers: 836, 826 and 816.

If you've already got 5 Studio 20's though, you probably ought to give a little more weight to the Studio 100's. They'll be better voiced to your current speakers, plus you have the option of a well-matched 7.1 setup should you ever want such a thing.

Some more food for thought: the Focal's minimum impedance is quite low (2.9 ohms @ 118Hz on the 826). Depending on what you're using to drive them, you may need an easier load.
Very good thought / advice!

Jeff

Is this for music only or are you wanting to blend this all together for 7.1?

I must be the odd man out here but I don't see much sense spending $3k to move two models up in a speaker line in which you already own a great 5 channel setup. It's just more of the same and to me that's not enticing enough. But YMMV. The studio 100s are great and you know that already. I suggest that you listen to some other speakers and hopefully the decision will be easy to make.

Andy is right. I could have done this two years ago but as I said, the sound was what I already have in the 20's.

I guess I'm really looking for something different for two channel and I'm willing to add anther receiver to the mix to go back and forth between a Paradigm 5.1 and a brand X 2. .........

Damn, that means another Sub. There must be a way of having one sub and two receivers hooked up.

Maybe i'll look into speaker switches to go from 5.1 Studio 20's to 2.1 "X". Just switch out the L/R front speakers.

This sounds like a fun adventure now.

thanks, guys.

BTW:

According to the Boston dealer, The Focal 800 series is being replaced by the Aria 900 series. He sold his last pair of 826 towers.

Music Direct is discounting the 826 from $3k to 2K.

The impedance is a concern though. I would like to stick with my Yamaha 773 at 95 watts per channel.

Bob R said:
Well, my tax return needs to be spent on toys this year. I've got $3K coming and that will get me into a new pair of L/R towers.

I love my five studio 20's and they are the devil I know. I just want to upgrade a bit. The 100's will make me happy. I listened to the 60's last year and felt they sounded just like the 20's

What else should I listen to in this price range? The review on the SVS do not seem that great around here.

Who likes what?

Hey Bob,

This is not the case with the Version 1's that I have. I did a side by side between my 20's V1 and my 60's V1 and the 60's ate the 20's lunch.

The 20's by themselves sound great, however when compare to the 60's, big difference...........maybe V5's are closer in performance.

Good luck, it is always exciting to be in the hunt for new speakers!

Keith

Bob R said:
BTW:

According to the Boston dealer, The Focal 800 series is being replaced by the Aria 900 series. He sold his last pair of 826 towers.

Music Direct is discounting the 826 from $3k to 2K.

The impedance is a concern though. I would like to stick with my Yamaha 773 at 95 watts per channel.

Do you live in Boston?

If so, give this guy a call and maybe he'll let you listen.
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/4346201226.html

heeman said:
Bob R said:

Who likes what?

Hey Bob,

This is not the case with the Version 1's that I have. I did a side by side between my 20's V1 and my 60's V1 and the 60's ate the 20's lunch.

The 20's by themselves sound great, however when compare to the 60's, big difference...........maybe V5's are closer in performance.

Good luck, it is always exciting to be in the hunt for new speakers!

Keith

My brother has the 60's and I have 40's and 20's. Of course the different versions are a little different but all in all apples to apples they all seem pretty similar.

The 60's will give you more and better bass response, especially when powered adequately. The 20's however seem more articulate to me with better/ cleaner midrange. Personally and overall, I kinda prefer the 40's.

However, like Bob I have always wanted a big ole nasty pair of Studio 100's upr front pulling double duty for movies and music. I really have like the 100's every time I have heard them.

BTW, the above mentioned are all V3's if my memory serves me correctly.

Randy said:
............. a big ole nasty pair of Studio 100's upr front pulling double duty for movies and music. I really have like the 100's every time I have heard them.

BTW, the above mentioned are all V3's if my memory serves me correctly.

Now that makes me want to go out this weeked and audition the 100's.

They will fit right in and they have a 93 db sensitivity vs the 90 dB on the 20's so my Yammy AVR should drive them.

ah, but what about

PSB Imagine T2
Revel Performa3 F206

Both in Framingham, MA

Road Trip !!!!!!!!

^ 2 Things........

1. Try running your 20's with a high quality Power Amp, you will be surprised.

2. If you are going to Framingham, you might as well stop by the Bose Campus.................. :happy-smileygiantred:

Back