• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Official Sim Racing Thread

I saw this a few days ago. I actually watched the entire video, anxiously waiting for him to complete each next step. Dude's got serious DIY skills.

I saw this a few days ago. I actually watched the entire video, anxiously waiting for him to complete each next step. Dude's got serious DIY skills.
Be honest Zing. Didn't you say to yourself " All that work and he is still using POS Logitech wheel and pedals!!" I did, and I am using those POS Logitech wheel and pedals!!:(

Be honest Zing. Didn't you say to yourself " All that work and he is still using POS Logitech wheel and pedals!!" I did, and I am using those POS Logitech wheel and pedals!!:(
I actually didn't. I was too awestruck by all he had done.

i also seen super blondies rig she showed off, its not hers of course, but featured on her channel. great set up.

i cant find one that caters to automatic drivers. :D

So for Christmas I bought myself these:
A definite improvement from my logitech pedals. However, the load cell brake is extremely stiff...that or I have no muscle in my left leg. I've got the blue spring (softer than the black) and the Shore 65 elastomers. I am lucky if I can depress the pedal two centimetres(less than an inch). Is that normal? I have BRF slider way down at 15%, which gives me about 80%. I have read online about some others complaining how extremely stiff these are. I don't know if they will soften in time or not? I have them mounted to my GT Lite and when I depress hard the pedal mount part lifts up where it connects to the seat!!

Product_Page_top_banner_CSL_Elite_Pedals_V2_Front_angled_1_1280x1280.jpg

A definite improvement from my logitech pedals. However, the load cell brake is extremely stiff...that or I have no muscle in my left leg. I've got the blue spring (softer than the black) and the Shore 65 elastomers. I am lucky if I can depress the pedal two centimetres(less than an inch). Is that normal? I have BRF slider way down at 15%, which gives me about 80%. I have read online about some others complaining how extremely stiff these are. I don't know if they will soften in time or not? I have them mounted to my GT Lite and when I depress hard the pedal mount part lifts up where it connects to the seat!!

Product_Page_top_banner_CSL_Elite_Pedals_V2_Front_angled_1_1280x1280.jpg

That's normal
The load cell measures pressure not movement. On your calibration screen you should be able to set what percentage of pedal pressure equals full braking in the game.

That's normal
The load cell measures pressure not movement.
Interesting Factoid: the control stick on the General Dynamics F-16 (circa 1976 or so) uses the same system, and it was not a long stick between the pilot's legs (ahem) but a short, game-controller-sized handle on the right-hand side of the cockpit.
I don't know if there are any F-16 cockpits configured for left-handed pilots.

Interesting Factoid: the control stick on the General Dynamics F-16 (circa 1976 or so) uses the same system, and it was not a long stick between the pilot's legs (ahem) but a short, game-controller-sized handle on the right-hand side of the cockpit.

Apparently trained humans are better/more accurate and more consistent at judging pressure applied than small ranges of motion. The brain-to-muscle processes needed to detect and apply a tiny bit more or less pressure are faster and more accurate than those needed to move a stick 1/128th of an inch.
I'm also lead to believe that one reason for the long control stick is that it requires a longer range of motion. That extended range of motion makes the controls far less "twitchy".

Also ... I believe that newer Airbus airliners use a left mounted stick for the captain and a right mounted stick for the copilot.

What is harder for a video card to supply? A large 49" screen like Zings or 3 like Towens? BTW, what size are yours Towen? I'm leaning towards triples at this point. Thinking 27"s would fit the bill. Latency, refresh rates, response times....makes the head spin!! Gotta find something cheap...I'm all about the cheap!!!

What is harder for a video card to supply? A large 49" screen like Zings or 3 like Towens? BTW, what size are yours Towen? I'm leaning towards triples at this point. Thinking 27"s would fit the bill. Latency, refresh rates, response times....makes the head spin!! Gotta find something cheap...I'm all about the cheap!!!

I have three 27" 2560 x 1440 monitors. An 49" ultrawide is exactly the same height as a 27" but twice as wide ... so 2/3 the total pixels as a triple 27" setup therefore easier on the GPU assuming all other things are equal.

I worry more about VRR certification/compatibility than response times. I'm much more sensitive to "screen tearing" and frame drops than I am to motion artifacts.

I would also note that managing triple screens can be a PITA;
  • You have 3x the number of power and display cables.
  • You'll need a specialized stand.
  • Aligning the screens perfectly is very very tedious.
  • Even with a "bezel free" monitor there will be some dead space between the usable portion of adjoining screens. If you can find an Asus Bezel Free Kit to hide the gap you end-up with some distortion on the edges of the screen.
  • You have to adjust your display settings all the time. If you set the Windows display settings to treat the video as three independent displays you'll need to jump through some hoops to get the game to display properly. If you use Nvidia Surround to treat the video as one giant display then every time you launch ANYTHING in "full screen" mode it will get stretched across all three monitors.

Last edited:
You're not alone. I got some new pedals for Christmas too. So now I'm wondering if Dirt would like to upgrade to a set of used Fanatec's ClubSport V3 pedals. *hint hint*

You're pedal travel is normal. With my old set and with my new set as well, I'd be surprised if there was an inch of travel. I'm using the hardest elastomer and have them calibrated to their maximum of 65Kg. And yes, my left quad muscles ached for a couple of days after they arrived.

If you're referring to Next Level Racing's F-GT Lite seat, that happened to me too under very heavy braking. I recall having a fix for it that involved inverting the clips/clamps that attach the pedal portion to the seat portion and moving them closer together. I also recall that rendered the ability to fold it properly impossible.

Towen pretty much covered everything. The only other things I'll add are 1) If you're going for a Formula setup, most people complain they can't get their displays low enough (assuming 27" or 32" displays that are around 60cm away) so the workaround is they typically go for larger displays like 55" or 65" TVs that can be placed further away. And 2) If you go Ultrawide, Samsung has come out with a 32" version of my display. I think it's a 57" ultrawide. A lot of people are complaining about the power supply going bad almost immediately. So if you happen upon a deal you like, proceed with caution.

I have three 27" 2560 x 1440 monitors. An 49" ultrawide is exactly the same height as a 27" but twice as wide ... so 2/3 the total pixels as a triple 27" setup therefore easier on the GPU assuming all other things are equal.

I worry more about VRR certification/compatibility than response times. I'm much more sensitive to "screen tearing" and frame drops than I am to motion artifacts.

I would also note that managing triple screens can be a PITA;
  • You have 3x the number of power and display cables.
  • You'll need a specialized stand.
  • Aligning the screens perfectly is very very tedious.
  • Even with a "bezel free" monitor there will be some dead space between the usable portion of adjoining screens. If you can find an Asus Bezel Free Kit to hide the gap you end-up with some distortion on the edges of the screen.
  • You have to adjust your display settings all the time. If you set the Windows display settings to treat the video as three independent displays you'll need to jump through some hoops to get the game to display properly. If you use Nvidia Surround to treat the video as one giant display then every time you launch ANYTHING in "full screen" mode it will get stretched across all three monitors.

All of that said ... I do think it's worth it in the end to use triples. I don't use my setup nearly enough but when I do, I really like the feeling of being "inside" the simulator. I also believe there's a gameplay advantage to be being able to see that extra 1/3 of the screen, specifically when other cars are alongside.

27" monitors are fine but if I had it to do all over again I'd use 32" or larger.

The issue @Zing mentioned regarding monitor height isn't unique to triples. The shorter the monitor the closer it needs to be to your face to have a decent field of view and the wheel base will always be in the way. As noted you can pony-up a display that's tall enough that you can put it far enough away for the bottom be below the wheelbase ... BUT ... now the wheelbase is blocking a large part of the screen. While that's totally fine for racing, because your actual wheel is in that space, it's NOT fine for almost any other game or application you may want to use the computer for unless you can move the wheelbase and its support out of the way.

Last edited:
I suspect I may be going down a rabbit hole with regards to a better/more monitor(s). I say this because my guess is my lowly Radeon RX570 might not be capable of powering three monitors? That would then require a video card upgrade before buying monitor(s) My son has an Oculus so I may give that a try as everyone raves about driving in VR. If I had to guess though, it will make me physically ill driving in VR.
Plus...and this is a big plus....I am enjoying sim racing again because of the new pedals, but will I sustain this enthusiasm long enough to justify more upgrades?

...my lowly Radeon RX570 might not be capable of powering three monitors?
It can. 7680x4320 is its maximum resolution, especially if you connect via DisplayPort. A quick search turned up conflicting info about whether HDMI can support the same.

You're not alone. I got some new pedals for Christmas too. So now I'm wondering if Dirt would like to upgrade to a set of used Fanatec's ClubSport V3 pedals. *hint hint*

You're pedal travel is normal. With my old set and with my new set as well, I'd be surprised if there was an inch of travel. I'm using the hardest elastomer and have them calibrated to their maximum of 65Kg. And yes, my left quad muscles ached for a couple of days after they arrived.

If you're referring to Next Level Racing's F-GT Lite seat, that happened to me too under very heavy braking. I recall having a fix for it that involved inverting the clips/clamps that attach the pedal portion to the seat portion and moving them closer together. I also recall that rendered the ability to fold it properly impossible.
Let me guess...Heusinkveld?

Back