• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Netflix Streaming

yromj said:
-B- said:
does anyone know if I can use my Netflix account in any home with a streaming device?

I would think so, but the catch is going to be that the device will be registered to your account and I don't know about changing it to a different account.

I've never thought about this before, but ROKUs are quite small and easily portable. They're especially small if the power cord is detachable and some sort of standard cord.

John

I was surprised how small the Roku is and the power cord is detachable.

There ya go. Simply buy another power cord and a $5 HDMI cable and you have portable streaming.

John

yromj said:
-B- said:
does anyone know if I can use my Netflix account in any home with a streaming device?

I would think so, but the catch is going to be that the device will be registered to your account and I don't know about changing it to a different account.

The device itself is registered to the account. I'm pretty sure that you can have upto 6 devices per Netflix account. There may be some IP address tracking though, I'm not sure.

If you need to de-register a device it's done simply though the Roku's setting's menu.

I'm probably going to be one of the few that thinks Netflix streaming is ok, but nothing to write home about. Picture and sound are ok, but it's the dropped frame rate that ruins it for me. Keep in mind that I only can get 3mbs download speed, and I know that goes a long way towards picture and sound, but it sounds like I am getting the full bars after asking around.

If I have a movie on dvd, as of right now, I will always watch the dvd vs streaming. Now VOD, that's a different story. We watched a family guy cartoon off of DTV adult swim, and I was impressed. Had to wait a few minutes in order for the buffer to fill up some, but that to me wasn't a big deal at all. I wish Netflix would offer a vod and keep the frame rates up.
Rob

Huey said:
I'm probably going to be one of the few that thinks Netflix streaming is ok, but nothing to write home about. Picture and sound are ok, but it's the dropped frame rate that ruins it for me. Keep in mind that I only can get 3mbs download speed, and I know that goes a long way towards picture and sound, but it sounds like I am getting the full bars after asking around.

If I have a movie on dvd, as of right now, I will always watch the dvd vs streaming. Now VOD, that's a different story. We watched a family guy cartoon off of DTV adult swim, and I was impressed. Had to wait a few minutes in order for the buffer to fill up some, but that to me wasn't a big deal at all. I wish Netflix would offer a vod and keep the frame rates up.
Rob

Rob

Gonna have to show my ignorance here but what do you mean by "frame rate" and/or "dropped frame rate"?

Roku recommends a 4 megabit download speed or higher for best results.

Rope

mzpro5 said:
Huey said:

Rob

Rob

Gonna have to show my ignorance here but what do you mean by "frame rate" and/or "dropped frame rate"?

Figured it out:

Frame rate is the number of still images that make up one second of video. 30 frames per second is considered full motion video for NTSC, 25 for PAL.

When a video is encoded to a frame rate of less than fifteen frames per second, it becomes noticeably jumpy.

Rope said:
Roku recommends a 4 megabit download speed or higher for best results.

Rope

I'm at about 12 megabit speed.

After reading this thread, decided to bite the bullet and get Netflix for the first time ever for just streaming movies (cost was just 7.99/month) I got this hooked up in my guest room to my GF's Wii just so she'll stop nagging me to rent ChickFlicks and she can watch them while I'm at work to her hearts content. I also setup my PS3 in my master bedroom and I use the streaming about 10 to 1 against my GF (who bitched so much yet has only watched one Chick Flick "Confessions of a some ditzed out compulsive shopper" or something like that. I just passed by and said, "Yea, I'd give that hot redhead the "Shocker" she called me a pig and asked me to leave the room. So my master plan of never having to see another chick flick ever again is working out great.

The GF has never seen the first four seasons of "24" but she got all caught up on the last seasons so I am catching her up on those and have never seen "Dexter" so I am starting to watch this one too. So far love the service and I've only had it a few days now. I am running a 12 Mbps speed and download takes 2 seconds with no issues at all. Granted everything is in stereo so far but I just use PLIIx to simulate the sound and my Denon 34808ci does a rather good job.

Also caught on old episode of "Simon and Simon" which I havent seen since the 80's - Lord what a campy show that was.

Got back from visiting a friend this weekend where I set up a wireless network for him and got streaming going thru his new Panasonic DMP-BD85K. The quality of the streaming thru this player is excellent. Even looks like it may be better than my Roku.

One reason may be is that he is in testing the speed of his internet connection he was constantly showing download speeds of 33-35 megabites where I'm only at 11-13.

I recently cut my Netflix account down to one disc at a time, plus streaming. I will probably apply the savings to a $7.99 Hulu Plus account and that will still leave enough money left over to rent a movie or two from Vudu. All three services have great PS3 interfaces and the picture quality for most newer programming on Netflix and Hulu is pretty decent. Vudu is damned-near Blu-Ray quality, has some really nice browsing features and a huge library. The only real downside is the $5.99 rental fee for a new release in 1080p, but honestly Blockbuster charges $4.99. I'll happily pay a buck to not go out to the store. Also keep in mind that Netfix disc rental service doesn't get new releases until they've been out about a month and new releases won't hit streaming for at least six month. Vudu is an excellent supplemental service.

I just cant get over vudu's price per rental. I'm not a huge fan of Red Box but in my mind they have set the price I'm willing to pay for a DVD/BD rental at $1.50.I just checked their app ant there at 15 Red Box locations within 2.5 miles of my house. It isn't as convenient as vudu, but it's 1/3 the price.

Towen7 said:
I just cant get over vudu's price per rental. I'm not a huge fan of Red Box but in my mind they have set the price I'm willing to pay for a DVD/BD rental at $1.50.I just checked their app ant there at 15 Red Box locations within 2.5 miles of my house. It isn't as convenient as vudu, but it's 1/3 the price.

I don't entirely disagree with you and I use Red Box a lot, but on a day like today when it is cold and snowing hard, I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to not deal with it. I don't think Vudu is something I will use on a regular basis unless their prices come down, but for an occasional viewing on a bad weather day it is great to have as an option.

The more I think about it, I'm probably going to cancel Netflix at the end of the month. Streaming is just ok for me, and I have been struggling to watch a movie a week. With redbox offering Blurays, I think that will be a cheaper alternative.
Rob

Haywood said:
Towen7 said:

I don't entirely disagree with you and I use Red Box a lot, but on a day like today when it is cold and snowing hard, I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to not deal with it. I don't think Vudu is something I will use on a regular basis unless their prices come down, but for an occasional viewing on a bad weather day it is great to have as an option.

I wish Vudu would rent new-release HDX (1080p) movies for $3.00. That's half of the current price. I'd probably use it a lot if prices dropped.

I'm more interested in streaming on a per-movie basis like Vudu moreso than Netflix's current unlimited plan. Granted, the movies from Netflix aren't new releases. And that's not to say that Netflix's current streaming is necessarilly bad since I actually paid for a month of it recently, but I won't be keeping the subscription active very long.

Kazaam said:
Haywood said:
Towen7 said:

I wish Vudu would rent new-release HDX (1080p) movies for $3.00. That's half of the current price. I'd probably use it a lot if prices dropped.

I'm more interested in streaming on a per-movie basis like Vudu moreso than Netflix's current unlimited plan. Granted, the movies from Netflix aren't new releases. And that's not to say that Netflix's current streaming is necessarilly bad since I actually paid for a month of it recently, but I won't be keeping the subscription active very long.

Check into Amazon's Movies on Demand. Most are 3.99 and they have recent releases.

Inception is now 3.99 for example.

Is that $3.99 price for HD? I think maybe it is, but wasn't positive---Amazon says something about available in HD "Amazon Video On Demand on your TV". Too bad the PS3 doesn't have an "Amazon Video" app yet. It's still priced higher than I'd feel good about, but it's getting closer to my "happy price" of three bucks that I dream of when awake.

The picture and sound quality on their streaming service is just not there yet and neither is the availability of content. If they can match the picture and sound quality of Vudu's HDX service, I'd be pretty happy with it. They will also have to essentially replicate their current disc catalog for streaming. It will be interesting to see how things play out over the next year or two.

I'm getting Netflix via PS3 and like it.

I've been watching the "Lost" series and now am into season 5. It comes through at "Medium HD" and I think that looks good. It's not a blu ray but is worth watching. All of them have come through with DD too.

Other movies.... not so good. But no worse than SDTV on DirectTV.

Back