• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Need a Preamp/Amp!

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022AS801B/Yamaha-A-S801-Black.html

g022AS801S-f.jpg

The Crutchfield site has a bunch of Yamaha stereo amps/integrated amps, yet only one that was 150w/channel (and it's an 11-channel beast, only $7,000!)

Well, I have seen good Marantz power amps in use, but I didn't see any on their web site I was thoroughly impressed with.

Assuming you are not pushing the speakers hard, the Parasound New Classic amps are more than fine. If you are pushing them hard, get the big one.

Funny that I never hear Outlaw Audio amps mentioned anymore. Far as I know they're still in business.

Outlaw and Emotiva are options, I just don't know them well to make a recommendation. Even worse, when I did pay attention to them years ago they both had very serious reliability and quality issues. I imagine they wouldn't still be in business if they didn't work out those issues, I just don't know enough about them to say if I like them or not.

I've been trying to follow this thread, but one of the reasons I became a mechanical engineer was that I was too smart to do civil, and not smart enough to do electrical!

Questions: is it that difficult to design a transformer that will protect against AC line distortion? Is one being better than another just a fluke - or by design?

Jeff

There are methods to mitigate this. Two that I have seen used in audio amplifiers is shielding and potting of the transformer. Shielding, is wrapping the periphery of the transformer with metallic bands, and this can be effective. Potting the transformer in epoxy makes the structure so dense that any sound from the windings is attenuated. The problem with either of these however is that it makes an already heavy component even heavier, and the cost of manufacture goes way up.

If you have any interest, I have a pair of Parasound 2250 and a pair of Monarchy SM-70 stereo amps that bridge for mono, that I am selling. I can post pictures, if you like.

I think two of the serious contenders are the Parasound Halo A23 and New Classic 2250. Both are priced at $1000 right now.

I know wattage isn't a great indicator, but I'm typing on my phone so I won't put all the specs :p

Parasound.com/a23.php
  • 125 watts x 2 into 8.ohms
  • 225 watts x 2 into 4 ohms
  • 45 amps peak per channel
Parasound.com/2250-v2.php
  • 275 watts x 2 into 8 ohms
  • 400 watts x 2 into 4 ohms

My room is pretty small, around 10x14 feet, probably smaller actually. I usually listen to music around 70-85 dBs. During loud peaks or when I occasionally crank it, it might peak to 90-100 dBs, not sure?

I guess my question is, is the quality of the A23 noticeable and worth the trade-off in wattage? Do we think it would have a noticeably quieter noise floor and less distortion, etc?

Or do we think the 2250's higher wattage is more beneficial?

I think two of the serious contenders are the Parasound Halo A23 and New Classic 2250. Both are priced at $1000 right now.

I know wattage isn't a great indicator, but I'm typing on my phone so I won't put all the specs :p

Parasound.com/a23.php
  • 125 watts x 2 into 8.ohms
  • 225 watts x 2 into 4 ohms

My room is pretty small, around 10x14 feet, probably smaller actually. I usually listen to music around 70-85 dBs. During loud peaks or when I occasionally crank it, it might peak to 90-100 dBs, not sure?

I guess my question is, is the quality of the A23 noticeable and worth the trade-off in wattage? Do we think it would have a noticeably quieter noise floor and less distortion, etc?

Or do we think the 2250's higher wattage is more beneficial?

This one:

There are methods to mitigate this. Two that I have seen used in audio amplifiers is shielding and potting of the transformer. Shielding, is wrapping the periphery of the transformer with metallic bands, and this can be effective. Potting the transformer in epoxy makes the structure so dense that any sound from the windings is attenuated. The problem with either of these however is that it makes an already heavy component even heavier, and the cost of manufacture goes way up.
As always, thanks for that!

^ THIS!!!!!!!!!
parasound.jpg

250 watts rms per channel into 8 ohms, all channels driven
400 watts rms per channel into 4 ohms, all channels driven
385 watts rms per channel into 2 ohms, all channels driven
700 watts rms bridged into 8 ohms or 4 ohms mono

monarchy.jpg

25wpc (RMS into 8 ohms), pure Class A, zero feedback design. As a mono block, each amp will produce 70wpc RMS into 8 ohms

As always, thanks for that!

Echoing what Jeff said, thanks @rammisframmis and @Flint as usual for all the interesting technical insight so far!

I've gotten the return process started with Monoprice. When placing my order there, they had some issues, but at least they seem to be handling my return request well so far.

I called a couple Parasound dealers, and one of them has quoted me a decent price on an A23 (a bit cheaper than audioadvisor.com, even taking into account local sales tax). I know the A23 hasn't been the most popular option, but I imagine it would suit my needs, especially since I'm crossing the C1's over with my sub at 80 Hz.

Plus after going through the ordering and return shipping process with the Monolith (it's a heavy amp lol), I'm a bit inclined to see if I can get an amp locally in case I run into issues again. I'm going to sleep on it though, and consider what @Batman , @heeman , and @Wardsweb have mentioned, and see what my thoughts are tomorrow.

Back