• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My Bulb Finally Packed It In

FredtheFilmFan

On my Epson Powerlite 550 that I never really liked. I've always had a problem with the colour. It's looked red on one side and blue on the other.

So, do I spend the $400 on the new lamp or use this as a reason to buy a new pj for about 2-2500? This pj is almost 7 years old, so I am due for a new one...right? What's out there in that range. I don't care about 3D, i want good picture and maybe something that can perform well in brighter conditions.

Similar situation here Fred. I have an HC720 that's on the verge of needing a new lamp. $300+ gets me that new lamp. $1000 gets me a brand new 8350 that's leaps and bounds better than my 720. If you've never really liked your PJ, I think it's upgrade time at the Filmfan house.

You can save a bundle by going with yesterday's latest and greatest, such as Panasonic's AE4000U (<$1700) or Epson's 8350 (<$1100). Don't be afraid of a 3D projector even if you're not interested in 3D. 3D displays and PJs make the BEST 2D displays and PJs. That said, Epson's 5010 and Panasonic's 7000 are far and away the biggest bang for the PJ buck right now.

Hey, if you really want to do the upgrade right, pop for the new Sony SXRD 4000 = 4096 x 2160 resolution (25,000.00).

Go big, or go home. :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

My Buddy recently replaced his old Sony with a JVC DLA-9X (Top end 3d?) and the picture is un-freakin-believable so I was also considering one of the less expensive JVC's. I was thinking the same thing about "last years" tech and being able to save some bucks. I REALLY don't give a damn about 3D as I can't seem to view it properly, it's blurry and gives me a headache.

Fred, I'm getting ready to move my JVC, in favor of the new X70...I'd love to see one of you guys here wind up with it. Model is the DLA-HD100.

FredtheFilmFan said:
On my Epson Powerlite 550 that I never really liked. I've always had a problem with the colour. It's looked red on one side and blue on the other.

Can this even be caused by a faulty bulb, or is it a projector issue? I don't know enough about projectors to know.

Way back when I bought it, I posted about my frustrations on the other forum. There was a review that I had read where the reviewer noticed a "Red Push" in his sample projo. If I recall, Epson said that it was an issue with the LCD alignment. Thinking that it was a limited issue, I still went ahead and bought the 550. I've had four, my original and 3 replacements and they all had a push on one side or the other. So, I've never really been happy. My wife has told me to let it go, but I'll be watching a movie, and there'll be some clouds on the screen or whatever else that highlights the colour issue. She hardly notices. She also couldn't tell when I replaced one of my tweeters and had the polarity backwards. I noticed, she told me I was crazy. I prefer particular.

Bats, I'd love some details...

Going from a 720p to a 1080p what's the percentage increase in pixels? Obviously there are more lines of resolution, but I don't want to do the math.

Or maybe the bulb is still OK....

Tried repeatedly yesterday to turn on the projo, light flashed red indicating the bulb is toast. Sooooo, it's football playoffs and I thought just maybe it would turn on today, and it did.

Good news that for now I don't have to spend some money I really don't want to, but I'm going to start saving because it is going to go sometime probably sooner rather than later.

FredtheFilmFan said:
Going from a 720p to a 1080p what's the percentage increase in pixels? Obviously there are more lines of resolution, but I don't want to do the math.

Not all 720p is 720 x 1280, more like 764 x 1365. 1080p = 1920 x1080.

1920 x 1080 = 2,076,000
765 x 1365 = (1,044,225)

1,035,775 divided by 2,076,000 = 49.89%

Rope

Going from 720p (real 720p because that's what most- if not all- HT projectors use) to 1080p is about a 125% increase in resolution over 720p (921,600 vs. 2,073,600). It's significant both mathematically and visually.

My 720p projector always got lots of praise but the 1080p is just better, hands down. Also, I can not recommend the JVCs highly enough!!! I love mine and the other people I know who have them love theirs as well.

John

The improvement of the price:performance ratio of projectors over the past few years has been nothing short of amazing. I don't see that changing any time soon. So whenever you are ready to buy, just as you would with a PC, pull the trigger and don't look back.

Batman said:
Fred, I'm getting ready to move my JVC, in favor of the new X70...I'd love to see one of you guys here wind up with it. Model is the DLA-HD100.

I might be interested...........

I'd need to see if it would work with my "plan".

I think that for the moment it's going to be a replacement bulb. It turns on once then the next time it won't. Next day, comes on again. Superbowl is coming and I'm getting nervous.

Don't have the money to buy a new projector right now. I should say that on the list of things to spend lots-o-money on, a new projector is not on the top of the list. Or near the top. You might say it's actually pretty close to the bottom of the list.

As a note, my buddy has the JVC DLA X9. To say it's awesome is an understatement. For 10G's it better be pretty good, though. The colour is amazing, it's BLACK where it's supposed to be black AND it bright enough that the lights can be on in his Theatre room and the picture still looks fantastic.....
Maybe I'll invite myself to his house for Superbowl....

Sorry I forgot to respond to this thread after mentioning my JVC going up for sale. Fred or Jammy, it's the DLA-HD100 approaching 1200 hours on the original bulb. So it probably has a about ~1500+ hours to go before it needs a bulb. The specs can be viewed at projector central dot com. If either are truly interested, PM me and we can discuss price. It's been some time since this model was sold on either eBay or audio/videogon. So we'd just have to agree on the price. But I'll throw in the chief mount I have for it (the best on the market bar none)...

FredtheFilmFan said:
My motion for funding was turned down at the budget commitee.
:laughing-lettersrofl:

You should've followed the Mackwood Rule: buy it, install it, hope she doesn't notice. If she does notice, remember this - it's easier to ask for and receive forgiveness than permission.

Epson Sucks Donkey Balls!!! Get the bulb, projo still doesnt work. It seems that a red flashing light on 1/2 second intervals is the bulb and 1 second intervals means there is something wrong with the projo. Shouldve used a stop watch. Call Epson Customer Care and I don't have my pin number because my office is currently being moved around. So, the nice recording tells me that without the pin, they can't help. Donkey Balls.

Projectors have PIN numbers?

Dude, that sucks. I hope that you can get through to an actual person at Epson who can help you.

Back