• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My 3BST is silent

mcad64

Well-Known Member
My Bryston 3BST will not turn on. When it is powered up I get an ever so brief green light in channel 1 and a red light in channel 2. There are no lights when it is on, and no functioning. On power down I briefly get 2 green lights.
Fuses seem intact from what I can tell.
Of course the amp has a date code from 1999 and the amp is only warrantied for 20 years so I am just outside the window..dammit!!
Bryston has this program where they will refurbish vintage amps (although in their literature they talk about amps from the 70s) for a fee. As well , a limited 3 year warranty.
https://support.bryston.com/downloads/refurbished/bttf/BTTF_INSTRUCTIONS_MEMO.pdf
Otherwise the gentleman at Bryston said it sounded like it might be an output power transistor???
Refurb is 1000Cad all in which includes shipping both ways, if...if it is power transistor it would be about 400Cad, plus shipping both ways which would probably be about 100cad round trip.
Really not sure how I want to proceed!!
Suggestions? Thoughts?
Mike
PS: Oh yeah, I have another 3bst in my rack with a date code of 2001....D"oh!!!
 
Tough call.
Worst case scenario is $1000 to fix this one and another $1000 to fix/refurb the other. So $2,000 is the baseline.

Is there an acceptable replacement that you can get for $2K or less?
 
BUMP..
It's only been 3 years since I first posted ,which goes to show you how slow I move/ how little I use the HT. My son has been using the basement/HT for studying as his computer in his room was generating too much heat. He is 3 years into a coop university engineering degree so with work terms I may actually get the HT back soon.
All that preamble aside, my wife and I took a northern vacation recently which swung by the Bryston (which was acquired by Axiom Audio) factory in Dwight , ON. Dropped the amp off for repair. 3 options available . One... repair what they figure was a blown output transistor..about 400cad. Option 2 ...update caps along with transistor about 800 cad, or Option 3 trade in my old amp for a new one. I chose the middle option. Not sure how long it will take them to fix it, but considering I still have not replaced my prepro that crapped out...Im not too worried.
The trade in option was quite interesting. I said "how much for a trade in of my 1999 3B ST. He said 2K cad. I said how much would that leave me toward a new one? He said " 4700 cad plus tax". I said" Option 2 please".
Mike
PS: I have another circa 2000 3B ST down in the rack that I may (will probably) give the same treatment.
 
Back
Top