• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Mandalorian discussion thread!

Simple question, how does everybody know Mando took his helmet off.
He told somebody, but I don't remember who.

Edit: Just did a search to see if I could find the exact reasoning, but all I could find was when he took his helmet off in the show.

Simple question, how does everybody know Mando took his helmet off.
He took his helmet off twice in the show, but showed his face once. There was a third time he took his helmet off but it did not appear on screen,

He took his helmet off twice in the show, but showed his face once. There was a third time he took his helmet off but it did not appear on screen,
And the times that he removed his helmet was not in a crowd, etc. It was pretty secluded but now seems everyone knows like he is walking around with the Scarlet Letter on his chest.

And the times that he removed his helmet was not in a crowd, etc. It was pretty secluded but now seems everyone knows like he is walking around with the Scarlet Letter on his chest.
I kind of remember it coming out that he had done that, during the scene where he was fighting the other Mandolorians, maybe even Bo Kataan's crew? That's the problem when there has been three years between shows.

The first time he took it off was in the episode where he was helping villagers go against a group of pirates. They showed him take off his helmet to eat.

In the last episode of season 2 he took it off to show Grogu his face. But Bo Katan and her crew were in the same room. So was Cara Dune, Fennec Shand and Luke Skywalker (spoiler alert??). But I believe only Luke and Grogu could see his face.

And he took his helmet off 3 times, the other one was when he went in to an imperial base or something to steal an imperial code. The computer scanned his face and he showed himself to many people.

I'm not that much of a nerd by the way, I just finished rewatching the last 2 seasons to refresh my memory for season 3.

I guess I've noticed before, just never thought much about it, but is Mando trying to walk like he's got spurs on? He definitely has a distinctive walk about him. And anybody else kind of annoyed with Grogu, and it's only two episodes in? They can lose the baby talk, he's 50-60 years old.

I keep forgetting to ask this, but was the droid that Mando took into the caves, the same one that kind of broke down when Luke was looking to buy a droid in A New Hope? Pretty sure I saw an article about how he had been in something before, but didn't read it. Pretty cool if he was that droid.

Never mind, a quick search answered my question, and it's even kind of cooler than I thought. It was the droid that broke down when Luke was trying to buy a new one, and the back story is, it did it intentionally. Neat BACKSTORY on the droid.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting to ask this, but was the droid that Mando took into the caves, the same one that kind of broke down when Luke was looking to buy a droid in A New Hope? Pretty sure I saw an article about how he had been in something before, but didn't read it. Pretty cool if he was that droid.

Never mind, a quick search answered my question, and it's even kind of cooler than I thought. It was the droid that broke down when Luke was trying to buy a new one, and the back story is, it did it intentionally. Neat BACKSTORY on the droid.
I did not know that! Cool beans!

In one of the “behind the scenes” episodes they discuss making that the same droid and making sure to include the marks it had in ANH.

The whole thing about how a true Mandalorian never removes his/her helmet is a rather weak plot device … just sayin. There are much more believable and practical ways to represent voluntary hardship.

Last edited:
The whole thing about how a true Mandalorian never removes his/her helmet is a rather weak plot device … just sayin. There are much more believable and practical ways to represent voluntary hardship.
It's been awhile since I've played it, but the Knights of the Old Republic, this was pretty central to one of the characters. I don't know how long this has been part of Star Wars lore, but it has been around for awhile, and while it may seem silly, I think it's meant to convey the importance of culture in the Mandalorian society. Just look at how Din wields the Dark Saber, he didn't earn it, so he can't fight with it very effectively. Kind of the same thing.

Just look at how Din wields the Dark Saber, he didn't earn it, so he can't fight with it very effectively. Kind of the same thing.
He didn’t earn it by defeating Gus Frin…..I mean Moff Gideon?

He didn’t earn it by defeating Gus Frin…..I mean Moff Gideon?
I can't find the article I read last week, but it has something to do with the way Din got from Moff. But it's also the reason Bo can wield it so easily, like she did when dispatching the mech "spider".

Here's a LINK to an IGN article that doesn't explain why he can't wield it very well, but does explain the origins of the Dark Saber, as well as discusses the Mandalorian connection to KOTOR.

Ok, this article explains it better, but it has little to do with winning the saber as the article suggested, although maybe I misread it. LINK

Clearly … but …
I don't know, it could be so ingrained within their culture, that it truly could be the worst thing a Mandalorian could do. I can't think of any specific examples in our own cultures to compare, but we at least know that some cultures follow very strict guidelines on what and what not to do. Like I said before, it was brought up in KOTOR, and they stressed the importance of not removing your helmet, so I get where they are coming from with this.

What would you consider a more believable and practical way to represent voluntary hardship?

Let's not fool ourselves. The strict "don't remove the helmet" rule is a literary device to make a character seem mysterious and to make seeing the character's actual face a dramatic event.

That's it.

We can set that aside for the sake of the story and accept that it's a cultural thing but it borders on ridiculous to ask the audience to ignore the impracticality. They could have made it clear that the helmet can’t be taken off in the presence of theirs but, no. They’re making it a big deal that it’s EVER off by the free will of the wearer … (I bet you a soda that they’re setting up a scenario that it gets taken/knocked off by an opponent later this season)

The Mandalorian upgrading his armor wasn't a problem despite getting a new helmet?
Equipment in the Star Wars universe breaks all the time but we're to believe the system in a Mandalorian helmet never do?
Hygiene?
Nutrition?
How does Din Djrin have short hair and trimmed mustache?
Children get helmeted when they're young so the helmets somehow resizes itself as they grow?

I get it. Culture is central to the character(s). This is just a dumb and lazy way to express that.

All that said I’ve been more than willing to look past it when it was just an occasional reference but so far season three has been ALL about the damned helmet. If the over/under on how many times the word “helmet“ gets used this season is 1,000 … I’ll take the over.

Back