• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Infinity TV Service

TKoP

The she-beast is looking at the alternatives to the content provider we have -- Dish. Infinity was the one she zeroed in on as we would bundle the internet (we currently just have a slow DSL), TV and phone for less that what we're paying now. I just have a huge predjudice against the cable (vs satellite) providers. Is my prejudice founded this time?

Suggest to wait & see how Dish responds to the AT&T/DirecTV merger gets going.

TKoP said:
I just have a huge predjudice against the cable (vs satellite) providers. Is my prejudice founded this time?

A lot of it depends on your location. And the year.
This whole business is changing rapidly, and it depends on the city, or even the part of the city, you live in. I dropped DirecTV to go strictly OTA with a dish-based Internet, but learned I couldn't get OTA in my location (which doesn't make sense at all). I picked up Dish, TV only, it works okay but my first year is up and the bill has already jacked up 50%. The cable provider I had when I first moved here was terrible, but again, it's probably all different now. You just can't tell, I'd suggest trying everything possible up-front and take advantage of their "30-day money-back guarantee", and find what works for your family, in your area. :twocents-mytwocents:

Botch said:
TKoP said:
I just have a huge predjudice against the cable (vs satellite) providers. Is my prejudice founded this time?

A lot of it depends on your location. And the year.
This whole business is changing rapidly, and it depends on the city, or even the part of the city, you live in. I dropped DirecTV to go strictly OTA with a dish-based Internet, but learned I couldn't get OTA in my location (which doesn't make sense at all). I picked up Dish, TV only, it works okay but my first year is up and the bill has already jacked up 50%. The cable provider I had when I first moved here was terrible, but again, it's probably all different now. You just can't tell, I'd suggest trying everything possible up-front and take advantage of their "30-day money-back guarantee", and find what works for your family, in your area. :twocents-mytwocents:

Huh, I don't recall our Dish bill ever increasing that much. Every once in a while it went up a buck or so but they also added channels. I was very happy with Dish, especially once we upgraded to the Hopper and Joeys, but Google Fiber was irresistible.

CMonster said:
Huh, I don't recall our Dish bill ever increasing that much. Every once in a while it went up a buck or so but they also added channels. I was very happy with Dish, especially once we upgraded to the Hopper and Joeys, but Google Fiber was irresistible.

Dish, TV-only, was $49/mo the first year, then it jumped to $76/mo immediately after. I gotta agree, though, that the Hopper has been a fantastic addition (I own one TV so no Joeys necessary), and I'll keep going with them until my contract is up, take a look around after that.
My final bill with DirecTV, TV/phone/intranetz, basic package, was $227 when I finally gave them the axe. :angry-banghead:

I've been meaning to upgrade to the Hopper for a while.. that'd probably make it worthwhile to stick with Dish.

The thing that really kills me where I live is the internet -- DSL sucks in my area (way far from a station) and upgrading to Cable is pricey unless I bundle with the TV stuff.

And generally, I've been very happy with Dish -- I've always had good support from them when something went sideways... and I had nothing but headaches with cable when I was with them.

Infinity? Do you mean Xfinity from Comcast?
I have Xfinity now because I can't get FiOS where I live. Comcast is a lot better now than they used to be. Have had them for 8 months now (after 7 years with FiOS) and the service has been very reliable.

lulimet said:
Infinity? Do you mean Xfinity from Comcast?
I have Xfinity now because I can't get FiOS where I live. Comcast is a lot better now than they used to be. Have had them for 8 months now (after 7 years with FiOS) and the service has been very reliable.

Derp!
Yep, that's what I meant... and thanks for the comments.

Back