• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

I did it

elfstone

Went to BB on Sunday and bought the Samsung 65" JS8500 4K SUHD set. Originally I thought I wanted the curved set but after comparing the two (which was hard to do since they were both on other sides of the store), I decided the flat was the better choice (and it was $1000 less). Got a great price of $1999 (which was $1300 off). Was going to wait for the black Friday sales but figured this was a good price point.

So far pretty impressed. Watched some 4k content off of Netflix and put in a few "mastered for 4K" blu rays. Did some tweaking and adjusting (took some settings from a few people off AVS and tweaked them for my environment).

And I like the stand much better. This is one piece of solid bar going across the front. Last set had those hideous "chicken feet" for a stand.

The little box is a bit odd but I can see how it makes installation a lot easier. Just hope it doesn't go tits up at some point because there are no HDMI inputs on the set itself.

Will post pics a bit later.

Good job Elf! You should love that set. I have had one since July and I am stoked about it still. My only complaint is how reflective the screen is, but that is very minor cause I have a very light controlled room.

You're gonna have to come by sometime to compare notes!

Congrats!!

My plan is to blow my 4K load on a projector in 2-3 more years as more content rolls out. While I've cut back dramatically on BD purchases, I plan to stick with the format for 4K in the theater. Don't really concern myself with 4K at all throughout the rest of the house.

Congrats Elfstone and I guess............................................................

YOU SUCK BIG TIME!!!

I'm reserving the contracts and declarations of suckage until I see some pics and a full review.

elfstone said:
Went to BB on Sunday and bought the Samsung 65" JS8500 4K SUHD set. Originally I thought I wanted the curved set but after comparing the two (which was hard to do since they were both on other sides of the store), I decided the flat was the better choice (and it was $1000 less). Got a great price of $1999 (which was $1300 off). Was going to wait for the black Friday sales but figured this was a good price point.

So far pretty impressed. Watched some 4k content off of Netflix and put in a few "mastered for 4K" blu rays. Did some tweaking and adjusting (took some settings from a few people off AVS and tweaked them for my environment).

And I like the stand much better. This is one piece of solid bar going across the front. Last set had those hideous "chicken feet" for a stand.

The little box is a bit odd but I can see how it makes installation a lot easier. Just hope it doesn't go tits up at some point because there are no HDMI inputs on the set itself.

Will post pics a bit later.

Congrats Elf!!
What do you mean by the little box??

The Samsungs have a proprietary box that all the connections to the set are plugged into. The only thing actually plugged into the set itself is this box called the 'one connect'. For some models the box has all the connection ports and the processing chipsets. For the JS8500 it only has the one connect mini so there is only the connection ports.

This is Samsungs way of future-proofing the set. If new connections come out in the future all you would have to do is get a new one connect box to get the newest connection ports.

I wouldn't bet the farm on a manufacturer future proofing. I imagine they'd rather sell you a new set then a new connector box.

Ok. Pics are kinda crappy and don't do the set any justice. With the minor adjustments I've done the pic in person is amazing. Blacks are inky black. Unlike others on other forums, my set seems perfect. Not imperfections in the screen, no light bleeds, nothing. The only thing is the stand is not quite right, and I've tried adjusting it a few times. It leans to the left. So for now I have the cases under it. Samsung said to reinstall it but that did no good. Going to order the Salamander tv mount (was going to do that a while back with the other set but never got around to it). It's a slight lean but it drives me nuts.

Attachments

• 20151117_123121.jpg
    20151117_123121.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 260
  • 20151117_123354.jpg
    20151117_123354.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 260
  • 20151117_123538(1).jpg
    20151117_123538(1).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 260
  • 20151117_123932.jpg
    20151117_123932.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 260
And the "one connect" reminds me of the HDMI boxes you can buy from Monoprice, but a lot lighter. Might check into buying a spare. They don't seem very sturdy and if it goes tits up, well you don't have any HDMI connections on the set itself. Could make watching anything a bit of a problem if something happened.

One of my whole setup. I know. I know. Need to get the speakers off the ground. Trying to find stands for them is a chore. Might have to build my own. Klipsch RB75s. Any my walls aren't green. They are light gray (almost a blue). Cell phone cameras aren't the best but get the job done (sort of).

Hobbit Battle of the Five Armies

Attachments

• 20151117_131448.jpg
    20151117_131448.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 254
Congrats, very cool. Hope you get many years, or until the technology is completely outdated which could take as little as a few months :laughing-rolling: , of enjoyment out of it.

Congrats, YOU SUCK, and I think you did well by going with a flat set.

You and your cellphone camera may also have a future career as an assassin:

file.php

:happy-smileygiantred:

Back