• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

How Do You Organize?

mzpro5

Famous
How do you organize your movies?

Strictly in alphabetical order? In alphabetical order by genre? Separate section for box sets?

Right now I go alphebetical order but group series/ box sets in a separate section.

Curious how others do it and will be moving all media soon so just thought I would ask.

All Batman :happy-smileygiantred: then everything else in alphabetical order...

Movies are seperated from TV series and concerts. All are organized alpabetically. Box sets are in the mix by title of the first movie or how people refer to them; the LOTR trilogy is in the L's, all the Harry Potter moviers are in the H's.

As someone's collection grows, I don't know how they could do anything but alphabetical. Otherwise they'd spend an eternity trying to find a particular movie.

I don't have a large enough collection to need the alphabetic approach just yet so I have mine organized in a weird hybrid sort of way. My top shelf - that is the most difficult to see and reach - is filled with movies I will likely never want to watch again. The rest of the shelves have minimal organization. All movies in a series are grouped together and I do keep my animated disc and concert discs grouped together but that's about it.

A few more in the collection and I will need to arrange them alphabetically.

Good question!
I've segregated my video, first, between DVDs and Blurays; it looks nicer on the shelf but otherwise doesn't make a lot of sense... :shhh:

The DVDs are divided into: music, motorcycle, movies, and "other" ("how-to's", music lessons, photography, etc). Alphabetical beyond that.
The Blurays are divided into: concerts, and movies.

My CDs (MUCH bigger collection) are segregated by Artist's last name. Yet, my vinyl is segregated by "ordinary" and "audiophile" (Mobile Fidelity, Sheffield, Direct-to-Disk, etc) which again doesn't make a lot of sense...

Not a lot of consistency here for a guy with three engineering degrees... :? :doh:

I organize my CDs alphabetically by genre and alphabetical by artist within the genre.

I thought about doing movies similarly but think I will stick with single movies alphabetical by title and series/ box sets alphabetical by main title. (Batman, Underworld etc.) a separate section for concert and music. And like Botch separate the DVDs from BDs.

Vinyl will be alphabetical by artist.

Can-Am cabinets have steel dividers A-Z. I alphabitize using title, since genres overlap. Same with CD except by artist not album title.

If alphabitizing is too cumbersum, you own too many movies.

Rope

mzpro5 said:
Rope said:
If alphabitizing is too cumbersum, you own too many movies.

Rope
I did not realize that was possible.

yes.gif

I have over 2500+ DVD's, 3000+ CD's and about 3000 LP's..... :doh:

I'm taking notes.... :eusa-whistle:

Dennie :confusion-seeingstars:

mostly
- movies ive not watched or opened (which is difficult, some movies i bought but have seen before but not on blu-ray, and others i havent)...

- movies ive watched and/or opened all below. :happy-smileygiantred:

mzpro5 said:
I organize my CDs alphabetically by genre and alphabetical by artist within the genre.

This is something I couldn't do, as most of my favorite artists cross "genre's", and as I get older they often swap/straddle genres (in my mind, anyway).

Earth Wind & Fire used to be R&B, but now Coolio is. I thought he was Rap.
Is Basia rock? Dance? Jazz? Adult Contemporary?
What the hell is Dixie Dregs?
Or Peter Gabriel?
Is former Jefferson Airplane/Starship/Wheelchair guitarist Craig Chauciso classic rock? or Smoove Jazz? How about Slash?
Sting was punk, then rock, then jazz, then Smart Pop, then Shit...

I've noticed that a couple record stores, when they were still around, actually alphabetized their entire store by Artist (Beethoven was next to Beatles) but I can understand the logic behind trying to categorize music by genre, too. If everything fit in a neat little box we wouldn't have anything to argue about, would we? :happy-smileygiantred:

Botch said:
mzpro5 said:

This is something I couldn't do, as most of my favorite artists cross "genre's", and as I get older they often swap/straddle genres (in my mind, anyway).

Or Peter Gabriel?
Is former Jefferson Airplane/Starship/Wheelchair guitarist Craig Chauciso classic rock? or Smoove Jazz? How about Slash?

I've noticed that a couple record stores, when they were still around, actually alphabetized their entire store by Artist (Beethoven was next to Beatles) but I can understand the logic behind trying to categorize music by genre, too. If everything fit in a neat little box we wouldn't have anything to argue about, would we? :happy-smileygiantred:

You are absolutely right. I file my music like itunes. First letter first name.... I keep Compilations, Box Sets and SACD/Audiophile type discs separate.

I do pretty much the same for movies. Concerts/Music, Documentary and Boxed Sets are separate, everything else is alphabetical.

Records are a whole different system, that I haven't mastered... yet. :text-lol:

Dennie

I organize digital music by folder. Queen has one folder, with in that folder reside all album sub-folders in alphabetical order.

Rope

Movies? I have about 200 movies on Bluray and DVD (majority being DVD). I just organize everything by title. Sequels, are group by the main group's titles. In other words, Empire Strikes Back wouldn't be in the Es but just behind Star Wars in the Ss.

Music is the same, but with a twist since I have many more CDs (about 1500). Those are by artist, but if it's something like "Steve Miller Band", then I put those album in Ss and not Ms (same way my Squeezebox organizes it). If it's compilation albums for various styles, then it's by genre (Best of the Blues would be under B) or sometimes by label or series(ex: Verve Jazz Masters Series under V, Time Life under T).

Articles are excluded, so bands like The Cars, The Beatles, The Who, and such would be under C, B, and W respectively. This is how my Squeezebox does it, so I've been going back and rearranging the CDs I've ripped to my PC the same way so my disc collection is reflected how I would see it under Squeezebox Server. It makes finding CDs a bit easier.

Botch said:
mzpro5 said:

Or Peter Gabriel?

Regarding CDs some of that I cover with Female Vocals (Basia for example) and Male Vocals (John prince, example). I define the genres pretty broadly. I have "Rock/Pop" which covers a broad range, anything from The few Rap CDs I have, early stuff like Ray Orbison and Carl Perkins, 60's rock etc. C&W includes bluegrass, traditional, Western swing, up to current stuff like the Dixie Chicks and Nickel Creek. classical includes opera, you get the idea.

Artists that have crossed genres I tend to catorgize in the genre they are "origionally" known for. Thus even though Steve Miller has done a jazz CD all his stuff is in Rock/Pop. And with all his different styles Sting is still in Rock/Pop.

I also have a Christmas category that includes artists from all genres and world music category which covers a lot of ground.

For alphabetizing I use the last name of individual artists and groups i am with Yesfan by first non-article d in the group name.

LPs are straight alphabetized in the above format with no genre categorization

Im closing in on 200 Blu Ray at this point and alphabatize them but have a second grouping just for animated pixar type movies.

I have far less DVDs that are also alphabatized but they are also in a separate group alone.

Razz said:
Im closing in on 200 Blu Ray at this point and alphabatize and have a second grouping just for animated pixar type movies.

I have far less DVDs that are also alphabatized but they are also in a separate group

I have 1011 LPs, 1300 CDs, 327 DVDs and 209 BDs. That is not counting DVD-BD duplicates. At least 100 of those.

Prior to Bluray, I had/still have a 400 dvd changer. This was purchased some for organization, and some to keep my boy who was 6 at the time, out of the movies. I wouldn't even attempt to organize my bluray collection, too many hands getting into them.

I have about 1200 CD's that I alphabetized in my younger days. Now that I'm older and wiser I just say fuck it with the Blurays and DVD's and when I look for a particular movie 9 times out of 10 I find another movie to watch than the one I was looking for.

Matt who was looking for Fargo but picked Navy Seals instead.

I have three very large and distinct stacks of discs.

1 - Movies I have not yet watched
2 - Movies I have watched and want to watch again
3 - Movies I have watched have will probably never watch again but I may want to keep because someone in my family might want to watch them and I am just too damn lazy to get rid of them because I am too busy with more important things like watching movies from the first pile or making love to my wife.

Back