• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Home Theatre is Great, Budgets Suck

FredtheFilmFan

Back in the Spring I bought a new projo, which was long over due as I went 1.5sih years with no HT.

Now that I've got going in this pursuit again I find I want to upgrade, well, everything. I have a Denon AVR 3806 receiver and Paradigm Studio series speakers, which I'm fine with. As I posted in the amplifier section, I'm thinking of outboard power for my mains. I also think I need a new Sub. SO, the long question, which would you think would have more impact? My current sub is an Energy EXL-S10 sub, about 15 years old, the oldest single component in my system. I also think that with some more power I will see a change in my mains. I've already done some acoustic work to the room, I need more, but its a work in process.

Anyway, budget dictates that a choice must be made, I can't have both. Help me, Audio Annex, you're my only hope... :)

PS, if you have an opinion on which sub shout it out. Got some good feedback on the power in the Amp section, but shout out if you' ve got some more ideas for that too.

You have seen my write this a million times... changing a single piece of electronics will never, ever have anywhere near the impact on the sound as changing a speaker. No two speakers ever sound the same, or even all that similar. Whereas, most amplifiers sound pretty much the same (relatively speaking).

So, in your position, even though I am a fan of outboard amps over receiver amps, I would get a subwoofer at this time. The difference will be immediate and last a decade. You will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. You will brings friends and family over to hear scenes from movies and music tracks that make their guts rumble.

No amplifier will ever make you want to show the world what a difference it made. Getting a better amp is important and will improve the sound, but it is more like going from 20/40 vision to 20/37 vision whereas a new subwoofer is like going from 20/40 vision to 20/25 vision.

Flint has way more experience than I do. My advice when budgets are tight is to make upgrades that bring the most bang for the buck. Considering what you are starting with, a high quality well positioned/calibrated sub is the best value without a doubt.

You have really good speakers so, assuming your happy with them, the next upgrade would be outboard amplifiers as they will be usable with whichever processor fits your needs down the road. The next upgrade would be super flexible control system. Remotes are often the last thing people think about but IMHO they can make or break the whole experience. On the processor front, Once the budget is ready I'd shop for ones that met my priorities; enough inputs, Dolby Atmos capable, 4K compatible, multi-zone HDMI outputs, some form of room correction/equalization, 3D capable, AirPlay built-in, network controllable (in hoped of integrating into a whole home automation system) and choose the best value.

This is my strategy for the components in the system. Along the way I'd take on other projects like room acoustics and light/reflection control.

FredtheFilmFan said:
which would you think would have more impact?
Speaker / subwoofer and room acoustics by far. The rest is loooooong... distant 3rd.

I thought that I'd hear subwoofer. Just wanted to be sure I guess. I see a review in Power Sound Audio, they're the new SVS/HSU value leader it seems. 1250 for a sealed sub. I guess that's the next thing, which sub?!?! :).

How it looks doesn't matter. Wife actually said she doesn't care what I make the basement look like. Hasn't bothered her that I painted some of the ceiling tiles black or hung black 2foot by 4foot panels on the wall.

I can vouche for the PSA XS30. And the Triax :eusa-whistle:

The HSU VTF-15H IMO is still one of the best values due to its price and configurabilty (it's currently on sale for $799). You can leave its ports open or plug one or both and tweak it to your liking.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Fred,
Think SVS. Only because they have a dealer in Canada. HSU and Power Sound Audio DO NOT. You will get hosed on shipping (if they ship to Canada) duties and brokerage fees.
Mike

I'd been thinking about exchange, duties, and definitely shipping since reading that these subs weigh in excess of 100lbs!

So, SVS in Canada. Lets say the budget is around $1000, but I'm flexible ($1200 wouldn't hurt me) what sub is the one?

The fancy Sub Matching tool came up with the PC12-plus, the SB13-Ultra and the PB12-plus. I'd have no problem with any of those. Movies first, music second, don't care how it looks. Although, I do like pretty things.

FredtheFilmFan said:
The fancy Sub Matching tool came up with the PC12-plus, the SB13-Ultra and the PB12-plus. I'd have no problem with any of those. Movies first, music second, don't care how it looks. Although, I do like pretty things.

How big is your room. I don't put much credence in Merlin. After all, there only metric seems to be what kind of speakers you have? Or has it changed? You could have a 200 square foot room or 20000!!?

Fancy Sub Matching Tool was a little tongue in cheek. Speakers was the primary question to match my sub.

Rooms about 14x25....ish.

If it were me I'd go with the PB-12 Plus. Although a little over your budget, it's close. You know it's gonna perform and you don't have to waste your hard-earned $ on fees. My theater is ~16x30 and I started out with the PB13-ultra and it worked out great. I only replaced it because I get antsy and jump at the opportunity to try new products and I don't have the space or $ to collect subwoofers.

As usual, I would suggest a diy option if getting the bang for the buck is the idea. Flint already has the schematics written up.

DIYer said:
As usual, I would suggest a diy option if getting the bang for the buck is the idea. Flint already has the schematics written up.

altho ive never had any experiences in building anything but a bill, this definitely is a great idea! since this is going to be your own, you can essentially build a subwoofer.

plus it also gives you the option of upgrading it later on. Since SVS is available up north, you can always get better drivers (if you choose to) thru them or another distinguished manufacturer.

my contribution is a penny compared to everyones expertise. good luck!

DIYer said:

:text-+1:

Exactly what I was going to say... or an infinite baffle sub if you have the ability.

Of all the speaker DIY projects, I'd think this to be the easiest. The only real "trick" is hole needed for the driver itself which can be done with some sort of guide. Jasper is the go to from what I know.

FredtheFilmFan said:
Fancy Sub Matching Tool was a little tongue in cheek. Speakers was the primary question to match my sub.

The budget is 1000 or maybe 1200. That rules out the plus and the ultra. Take a look at the PB 2000. I have it in my basement and my room is larger than yours. As well, do you have to worry about the spousal unit? The Ultra and Plus are some big ass subs.

mcad64 said:
FredtheFilmFan said:

The budget is 1000 or maybe 1200. That rules out the plus and the ultra. Take a look at the PB 2000. I have it in my basement and my room is larger than yours. As well, do you have to worry about the spousal unit? The Ultra and Plus are some big ass subs.

or you can get two pb1000. :happy-smileygiantred: in all seriousness, the pb1000 hasnt disappointed me yet, but i havent also cranked it up either. the pb 2000 im sure is also going to be a good option too. good luck!

I further the sub notion, and it looks like you're going that way anyway.

As for which one, I would choose the best SVS you can get in your budget. You may want to check the used market for an Ultra or something along that line.

John

Back