• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Gotham

MatthewB

Grandmaster Pimp Daddy
Famous
Wow what a premiere episode. Catwoman, The Riddler, Penguin, the Joker and Poison Ivy. I liked how they slipped in calling The Riddler the Enigma. I also liked how they made Gotham City so dark. Chris must be going ga-ga over this series. I hope hope hope in later episodes they bring in Harley Quinn.

Looks very good hope it has the staying power like Arrow.

i look forward to watching the premiere over the weekend.

glad to know it looks good.

I should mention (SPOILER)

The pill popper who takes the female cop hostage could wind up being Bane as he is addicted to pills before putting on the mask and the one black cop who says "stay frosty" does not become Mr. Freeze but maybe the Spectre as the comic says he becomes.

A lot of characters in a short amount of time.

* Spoilers

I give it a C+. As a fan of Batman there are some real flaws with this show. I thought the first episode was just barely above average. Some parts were good but other parts were cringe worthy. I understand that sometimes these series need time to allow the actors portraying these characters to make them their own and give them a fresh take. I thought the Murder of the Wayne's was a little rushed. Looking for Easter eggs is enjoyable, some are more obvious than others. I will say that they NAILED the look of Gotham City. My biggest issue with this show is that it's going to give us or hint at the origins of all these unique villian's and, along with the murder of his parents, they are going to inspire Bruce to become Batman (which I'm 99% sure we'll never see, unless it's one of the last frames of the series finale). I much prefer the idea that all the new freaks and villian's are a reaction to Batman coming to save gotham. They touch on escalation at the end of Batman Begins, for example. Because I love Batman and these characters, I'm gonna give this series a real chance, I plan on watching every episode but I hope it gets better, and fairly quickly.

We watched it last night................sorry, really not all that impressed. Some of the acting seem forced and unnatural.

I think I'm siding with Matt on this one. I thought for a series premiere it did pretty well. I think it would have been better to roll out the villains rather than shoving almost everyone in the first episode. I also wouldn't look at this as truly Batman canon -- this one is definitely going to be a new "universe".

As for the acting, again, I didn't think it was too bad. I think as everyone gets their own voice, it'll pick up and be more natural.

As a Batman fan I'm gonna give this series every chance to win me over. I don't dislike it, I'm simply not blown away. I think last nights episode was on par with the first. As I'm watching I'm constantly reminding myself the show is based on a comic book, so the over-the-top acting and writing is to be expected to an extent. Admittedly I have really high expectations, this is a character that means a lot to me (as if you didn't all know) so I want this show to be REALLY GOOD. Once it's run its course and is over, and/or gets cancelled, WB may never give this "world" a chance on tv again.

After episode 4 I feel that the series is S L O W L Y improving. What bothers me the most at this point is for a show that is supposed to be 1 part police procedural, there is very little logic in the writing when it comes to Gordon and Bullock's investigations and subsequent resolutions. Bullock's informants come out of nowhere and are incredibly convenient. It's pretty clear that the writers/directors aren't really consulting with anyone on real life police procedure. *SPOILER* For example, in last nights episode, after finally tracking down the hitman, Gordon and Bullock have the suspect held up and caught in the middle of a room. The three of them are in a STRAIGHT line with the suspect caught in between them and the detectives have their guns drawn. The guy makes a move and both Gordon and Bullock each fire off several rounds killing him. At the very least the two of them should have had bullet wounds also or possibly both be dead. There is a lot of this flawed and not very well thought out writing or direction to the show. It's frustrating because I can tell that everyone involved is trying really hard to get it right and show respect to this "world." The show, despite very sparse flashes, is just "off" so far.

I don't watch TV (I do still watch some Big Bang though). But I'm starting to like this show (hate commercials though). It seems to be getting better & love thats its on early.

Batman said:
*SPOILER* For example, in last nights episode, after finally tracking down the hitman, Gordon and Bullock have the suspect held up and caught in the middle of a room. The three of them are in a STRAIGHT line with the suspect caught in between them and the detectives have their guns drawn. The guy makes a move and both Gordon and Bullock each fire off several rounds killing him. At the very least the two of them should have had bullet wounds also or possibly both be dead.

I had one of those "umm... I don't think so" moments as well.

Fall finale tonight on FOX. Unless this episode is mind blowing, nothing has really changed my opinion of this show....average at best with some real eye rolling moments.

Barney said:
I don't watch TV (I do still watch some Big Bang though). But I'm starting to like this show (hate commercials though). It seems to be getting better & love thats its on early.

You need a DVR, so you can time-shift and skip adds. Alternatively, you could invest $10/mo in a Usenet account and get SABnzb and nzbDrone to acquire any current TV show you want without ads within about of day of when they originally air (just remember to buy a nice eye patch and learn to say "Arrrgh!").

Re: Gotham on Netflix

There is another thread for this, titled Gotham. If one of you sexy administrators, or global moderators wishes to pull them together.

Happy Thursday, Gotham lovers. Yeah, I am in a pretty spunky mood today. :happy-smileygiantred:

I wouldn't recommend anyone waste much time on this show, IMHO it's a terribly written, terribly acted show with so few bright spots (which is mostly aesthetics) that it's not worth sifting through to find them. Even though Batman will never arrive on the scene (except perhaps the the last frame, of the last scene, of the series finale, if it gets that far) for the most part it flies in the face of what makes Batman who he is. I hopped off the bandwagon after about 5-6 episodes during season one. And the foundation was so poor, I'm not even giving season two much of a chance. It's the fan in me that will want to check in from time to time to see if the creators have done any thing to improve this dreck. But if you don't really care about Batman or the characters in his world, there's a ton of better shows on all the time.

Babs said:
There is another thread for this, titled Gotham. If one of you sexy administrators, or global moderators wishes to pull them together.

Happy Thursday, Gotham lovers. Yeah, I am in a pretty spunky mood today. :happy-smileygiantred:
Done!

I don't know Chris I'm still a fan. Granted I'm not into the Batman lore as you are. I think it's interesting. I love the actor whose gonna be the Joker he is just awesome with his facial expressions and eerie persona. I like how you finally get to see how Alfred raised Young master Wayne and slowly training him in combat fighting and slowly trying to introduce him to the secrets his father held (like the hidden bat cave).

I think your trying to hold on to hard to what the comics did and this is nothing like that. It is as you said a side story and of course a different perspective. I love how each episode balances out in three ways. What causes the villains to become who they become and their personal stories. How James Gordon rises up thru the ranks to one day become commissioner and of course young Bruce Wayne and his struggles.

Hey Matt you're allowed to like it! :happy-smileygiantred: it's gonna take a lot to get me on board. I mean in one of the first episodes they had a fukking vigilante kill people by stringing them to weather balloons, who's supposed to be an influence to what a young Bruce Wayne will become.....dude, let me repeat, he killed people with weather balloons. This show is gonna have to get away from the shear stupidity and campiness. It is SO poorly written even good acting wouldn't save it for me. But the acting isn't good anyway.....I could make the connection to a DC "else worlds" parallel universe but I just think the show is worth investing one's time.

BTW Batman-on-film.com (BoF) and ModernMythMedia.com (MMM) stopped reviewing it the show because the reviews were predominantly negative. Sean from MMM said he gave up on the show after the debut of Jerome (the Joker).

Right Chris but you are the die hard fans and that's not what the show is aiming for. It's geared to mass media who watch The Kardashians or Honey Boo Boo. Sure it's campy at times but I rather like the actors and the parts they play. Granted being immersed in the world of Batman I can see how you'd be disappointed but from a casual reader of the comics I rather enjoy it.

Back