• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Got a PS4, Woo Hoo

The DirtMerchant

Famous
My son has been begging for Star Wars Battlefront (which would require the PS4)...and at 7 years old, I am generally hesitant
as I don't really like him playing online. But...I got it as a gift, so...Away We Go!

Picked up 3 more controllers, Lego Batman ($19.99), Just Dance 2016 (which will be returned, since I need a PS Camera or the PS Move controllers...I can use my smartphone, but can't have the kids playing and be able to ignore them at the same time!), and
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (rated a 10 on IGN). Phantom Pain looks freaking amazing. I will most likely pick up Fallout 4
after Christmas if I don't get it as a gift.

Downloaded the Plex App, but haven't had a chance to see if it works with my NAS. I think I have to purchase a Plex Pass,
unlike with the PS3 :handgestures-thumbdown:

Still getting used to the XMB. And I'm a little confused by the ability to have multiple users and have a controller assigned to a user.
But, when I try to switch users to other controllers I get a message about "Please turn on PS4 controller"? Maybe I can't switch?
Also have been letting the Star Wars Ep I-III movies run in the background while we're doing things (Once we hit Ep IV, I'll start actually watching). Picture looks as good as expected.

Anyone have any recommendations for free/cheap downloadable games? For fun and for kids?
Cool things to use the PS4 for? Apps? Downloadable somethings?

Congratulations on picking up a PS4!

Did you get to play battlefront yet?

I am not certain if you need to purchase a Playstation plus account to get to play online for it, but its a prerequisite for other games.

Anyone have any recommendations for free/cheap downloadable games? For fun and for kids?

I love playing

- Fat Princess (watch the trailer, its essentially a tower game at heart)
- Bastion (a 3D scroller, great storyline)

With playstation plus you get free games each month, even though you don't like em, just download or add to your library. I have mine for a year, and as beneficial as it seems, well, I got a couple of games that I love that are free from the promo.

there are also some ps3 and ps2 games available via playstation er.. I forgot. have to pay for it too tho. :(

I know you can create multiple accounts for the same gaming console, otherwise use 'guest' mode instead.

I haven't unpacked my new PS4 yet as I am respecting Mon's request to wait until Christmas.

I thought about Star Wars Battlefront but the reviews are not all that good. I am hoping to catch The Last of Us at a bit of a discount, jomari and someone else recommended it and today on the radio I heard a discussion where several people thought it was one of the best.

What is the benefit or negative of a hard disc versus a download card?

How about the Call of Duty games? inFamous: Second Son? The Witcher: Wild hunt? Injustice: Gods Among Us? Assassins Creed Unity?

The last couple days I am wondering if maybe I should have gotten an Xbox One instead as there seem to be a lot more games for that platform.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is fantastic.

Don't second guess the PS4 vs. Xbone thing. There are just as many PS4 games. I really prefer the PS4 to the Xbone, but my experience with the Xbone is admittedly limited.

mzpro5 said:
I haven't unpacked my new PS4 yet as I am respecting Mon's request to wait until Christmas.

I thought about Star Wars Battlefront but the reviews are not all that good. I am hoping to catch The Last of Us at a bit of a discount, jomari and someone else recommended it and today on the radio I heard a discussion where several people thought it was one of the best.

Simply one of the best experiences ive had in generations.

What is the benefit or negative of a hard disc versus a download card?

Some people find it beneficial to have it directly playing from the machine, and sometimes it does help out. Especially with RPG games like FO4 or witcher3. But physical is something tangible, and you can resell it afterwards or lend it out if you want to.

How about the Call of Duty games?

depends, peoples opinion vary on this. I love battlefield games (except hardline), and love its dynamics. COD games are great, but I play mostly campaign. Last time I played Multiplayer is COD Advanced warfare on Ps3.

Advanced warfare was a great campaign mode, I had fun, but was complicated.

inFamous: Second Son?

I liked it, but got bored at a certain time. Pauly I think enjoyed this game. Apparently First light (the DLC for it) was better.

The Witcher: Wild hunt?

solid game, but others found it tiring at times. Be warned, sexual content is high in this game.

Injustice: Gods Among Us?

Versus game, so I kinda got tired of it, I passed.

Assassins Creed Unity?

Paulys court - I played up to black flag, I kinda got used to it.

The last couple days I am wondering if maybe I should have gotten an Xbox One instead as there seem to be a lot more games for that platform.

gone are the days of versus. its pretty much a great experience to be had on both consoles. no need to worry about specs unless the xbox one has something more you want.

After coming home from a sleepover about a month ago , that is all my 10 year old son has been talking about. We got him one with the Uncharted Package because it was 90 bucks cheaper than the other PS4 packages. I did not realize that it doesn't come with the physical disc just the ability to download it. No big deal as I think it is probably not a game I want him playing anyway. Picked up Infamous Second Son, Knack and Tearaway. Got a second controller as they were 30 bucks off. Thinking now I should have gotten two more..oh well. Still not thrilled with him playing games online.
Mike

Witcher 3. Without a doubt, one of the best games in a long time. PLAY IT!

I like the whole Assassin's Creed series. However, if you jump in in the middle, it may not make quite as much sense... dunno. Unity was solid, but my favorite of recent years was AC-3 - the one set in the American revolutionary war period. Not sure if that's available for PS4 though. The most recent one, Syndicate, certainly is, but Unity's probably better.

I'm enjoying Fallout 4, but it doesn't grab me quite as much as some of these other games.

Check out Dragon Age Inquisition, did that one recently and enjoyed it a lot. Great if you like fantasy/D&D type games. Sorta similar to Witcher 3 (which is FAR better IMHO) but still a good one.

Yeah I liked the two Infamous games I played. The second one was pretty much a "more of the same" thing, but still they're cool.

PaulyT said:
Witcher 3. Without a doubt, one of the best games in a long time. PLAY IT!

I like the whole Assassin's Creed series. However, if you jump in in the middle, it may not make quite as much sense... dunno. Unity was solid, but my favorite of recent years was AC-3 - the one set in the American revolutionary war period. Not sure if that's available for PS4 though. The most recent one, Syndicate, certainly is, but Unity's probably better.

I'm enjoying Fallout 4, but it doesn't grab me quite as much as some of these other games.

Check out Dragon Age Inquisition, did that one recently and enjoyed it a lot. Great if you like fantasy/D&D type games. Sorta similar to Witcher 3 (which is FAR better IMHO) but still a good one.

Yeah I liked the two Infamous games I played. The second one was pretty much a "more of the same" thing, but still they're cool.

Hmmm. Witcher 3 is in the cards for after X-mas.

see that's the thing about witcher 3 tho, Ive had people rave about it, and quite frankly, I LOVED this experience compared to witcher 2.

for ME, this one didn't need me to dig deeper, or find out more about the history or the storyline itself, it 'presented' it afterwards, in a better manner than 2 did. 2 just put me in the middle of it and off you go.

others, have had the worst experience with it, do this, do that and do it again. I didn't feel that, and in fact, was very fascinated with the 'world' it was created in.

Again, for those who want to purchase this or have children, this has a good amount of sexual references, including but not limited to coitus or copulation. :happy-smileygiantred:

We seem to have enough PS4 owners now on this forum that we should do a roll call thread so people can share their PSN names, bully Xbox fan boys, etc...

Jomari, I nominate you for the task since you are resident Playstation expert :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

^--- Probably, as far as the OS goes. But if it's an old computer, its GPU may not quite be up to it, as it's a fairly demanding game in that regard.

AndySTL said:
We seem to have enough PS4 owners now on this forum that we should do a roll call thread so people can share their PSN names, bully Xbox fan boys, etc...

Jomari, I nominate you for the task since you are resident Playstation expert :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

not even close. at times I end up turning it off and on hard start!

hehehe.

anyways, I think I have a couple of yall, but not everyone. want to start a thread?

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Pretty damn awesome. Last time I played a Metal Gear game was maybe 10 years ago (Snake Eater). The story is confusing, convoluted and a bit thin...but the gameplay is damn good.

My son is loving Star Wars Battlefront, but as mentioned previously and in reviews...it isn't that good. Not much story (if any at all). But he has fun with it.

take a peek at the 5 minute videos 'explaining' a bit further about peace walker and diamond dogs, this should kinda help out with the storyline.

its similar to FO4, with a minecraft feel to 'store' things at base. great game, but i havent played the full version yet. :oops:

Well unpacked the new PS4 on Wednesday evening when my nephews were over. Got it set up and have been playing Lego Marvel Super Heroes. Not being an experienced gamer I am already cheating going to the internet to look at walkthru's to help me out.

I did try Batman Arkham Knight but I am going to have to log alot of hours to even get close to being able to halfway play that one. Seems very complex.

congratulations on the unboxing!

batman arkham knight wasnt my favorite, but then again the other games are on the older gen.

lego is fun!

let me know if you'd like to borrow a couple of games, including GTA5, i thought it would be a great experience if ever you are interested. the only challenge i see is handling its 'wheel' mechanic, where you choose the firearm you want to use during a mission. also maybe the driving. aside from that, its a nice cruising game.

mzpro5 said:
Well unpacked the new PS4 on Wednesday evening when my nephews were over. Got it set up and have been playing Lego Marvel Super Heroes. Not being an experienced gamer I am already cheating going to the internet to look at walkthru's to help me out.

I did try Batman Arkham Knight but I am going to have to log alot of hours to even get close to being able to halfway play that one. Seems very complex.

With the difficulty of some of these games so high, I wouldn't call looking on the internet cheating. With Fallout 4, I'm on there all the time looking for answers. Just yesterday, I was doing a quest for the railroad retrieving a prototype synth, and couldn't figure out how to get my companion to unlock a terminal to open a door. Turns out, it's a known glitch, and a save/reload took care of it. Cheat codes, those on the other hand, are cheating, but are sometimes fun to use as well. I hope you enjoy your ps4 Jeff.

Back