• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

From Twin 12's to Quad 15's

Zing

Retired Admin
Superstar
:happy-smileygiantred:

Their arrival

XS301.jpg

XS302.jpg

XS303.jpg

XS304.jpg

XS305.jpg

Work smarter, not harder.

XS306.jpg

XS307.jpg

XS308.jpg

:text-bravo:

Can't wait for you to tell us how they sound...................

I set up the first one, calibrated it and gave it a test run. I clearly heard a difference in sound quality. I can't say it was better or worse, just different. I will say I didn't dislike what I heard.

I repeated this with the second one and got the same sense.

With both subs on and calibrated, I ran some of my reference material through them. Output was noticeably better (as in significantly increased) however extension seemed a little lacking. I wasn't too concerned though because I hadn't yet messed with the Phase.

After some very rough phase adjustments by ear, the extension is getting deeper and the output at extremely low frequencies is getting punchier.

I'm not sure whether it's the sealed design (versus ported), the amp and/or its DSP, that it's just a new and better sub or that there's two of them but the decay is MUCH faster (perhaps it's the reduced ringing). Whatever it is, things seem tighter and don't "wander" around the house and linger.

I don't know if I'll get to it tonight but I'll be dialing these in with TrueRTA and I'm sure there will be further improvement. But for right now, with some rough tweaking by ear, I can emphatically say...

...these things are ridiculously SICK! :happy-smileygiantred:

How is your pre set up? Do you plan to send the LFE channel to only one or both of the subs?

Towen7 said:
How is your pre set up? Do you plan to send the LFE channel to only one or both of the subs?
Right now, all 5 speakers are crossed at 90Hz, the LPF for the LFE channel is set to 120Hz and I'm using a "Y" splitter at the LFE pre out to feed both subs. If I choose the keep the 90Hz crossover setting, I may experiment with setting the mains to Large and configuring the subs in Stereo.

I really want to see what TrueRTA yields with various configuration settings first and then weigh those results with personal preference in sound. With my old sub, 90Hz, cascaded crossovers, 16Hz setting on the sub and no ports plugged yielded the smoothest response according to TrueRTA. However, my personal preference was a 70Hz xo setting with all else being equal. So it's entirely possible I'll end up with some other configuration once I'm done playing.

Zing said:
I'm not sure whether it's the sealed design (versus ported), the amp and/or its DSP, that it's just a new and better sub or that there's two of them but the decay is MUCH faster (perhaps it's the reduced ringing). Whatever it is, things seem tighter and don't "wander" around the house and linger.

Sealed design, would be my vote. I noticed that easily when I bought my beloved Advents, 35 years ago.

Enjoy, while you Suck! Real Subs™ ship on pallets! :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

Botch said:
Real Subs™ ship on pallets! :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

From what I understand, Zing would never buy a girlie water heater! :teasing-tease:

Your suckage increaseth exponentially!

Did you get any tips from Tom V. regarding the distance between the face of the woofer/driver (on one side) and the nearest wall?

Could you explain your "cascaded crossovers"?

Attachments

• you-suck.jpg
    you-suck.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,720
Orbison said:
Did you get any tips from Tom V. regarding the distance between the face of the woofer/driver (on one side) and the nearest wall?

No, but I haven't asked him for any tips (yet).

Orbison said:
Could you explain your "cascaded crossovers"?

Cascaded crossovers means there are two separate enabled filters being used.

There's an old thread somewhere about my room response. At that time, I was having a problem with a null (I don't remember the frequency so let's just call it 70Hz). Typically, nulls are caused by the room more than anything else and there's little to no way to correct them electronically. No matter what I did, where I moved the sub or where I took the measurement from, I had a narrow band null at 70Hz.

After extensive trial and error attempting to correct it, I tried the only thing I hadn't yet tried - something that most would consider taboo: I enabled the crossover on the sub *GASP*! Low and behold, the null was all but gone.

Zing said:
After extensive trial and error attempting to correct it, I tried the only thing I hadn't yet tried - something that most would consider taboo: I enabled the crossover on the sub *GASP*! Low and behold, the null was all but gone.

I did that once too to smooth the XO point - worked for me too. Shhhh - don't tell any of those other guys - you know how they are!
Anyway, enjoy the new toys.

Thanks Mr. Zing!

Zing said:
I tried the only thing I hadn't yet tried - something that most would consider taboo: I enabled the crossover on the sub *GASP*! Low and behold, the null was all but gone.

:scared-yipes: :scared-yipes: :scared-yipes: Moderator, BAN HIM!!

Congrats Mini-Me!

If you still have the old sub(s), and if you are up for a little experimentation (and fun), here's what I'd suggest.

Put everything back exactly as you had it before the new beasts arrived.

Snag a used ICBM-1 somehow (or any other external Xover). Insert it into your system in place of your pre's Xover. (Run everything full-range and let the ICBM-1 do the duties. Your old sub gets sent the SUB OUT signal from the ICBM-1.) At this point your pre's LFE out is connected to nothing. So basically your old sub(s) are handling the bass-managed bass from your mains. Balance those subs w.r.t. the mains. Don't fiddle with it again once you've done so.

Find good places for the new subs. and connect them to the pre's LFE out. Balance them with respect to the rest of the system (mains plus old subs). ("Balance" in both cases can include level, Xover point (or wide open), and phase - whatever settings yield the best result.)

The new subs will now only be handling LFE signals - not bass-managed ones.

For (stereo) music, if your old subs were any good this should make little or no difference. However any time there is now true LFE signals (multi-channel music, movies, etc.) I think you will notice a big difference. Enough so that I'm suggesting that you give it a try.

If not, enjoy the new set-up regardless!

Jeff

DIYer said:
Whoa, Zing!!! Did I miss a prelude thread to this or did you mean to shock us? :eek:
Yes, you did miss it.

From July 16th in the Power Sound Audio thread...
Zing said:
CMonster said:
I've hit my PSA quota so it's time for someone else to step up.
OK, I just stood up and hit my quota with a pair of 9Hz-capable XS30's.

Back