• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Fire TV with 4K and Alexa

Thank you buddy !
I'm waiting to see the new Roku 4. Its suppost to be 4K...but we'll see.

That Fire TV will NOT let you get Watch ESPN without a cable subscription. Read that in the description of the unit there on Amazon.

The new Apple TV launched last week and the new Fire TV launched today, so I expect the new Roku to show up any time now. I would have a lot more interest in Fire TV if Amazon signed on with UltraViolet. As it is, having all of my Disney movies in Amazon Instant Video and everything else in Flixster is kind of counter-intuitive. Since they do not have a Vudu app, Fire TV leaves me with no good solution for my movie library. If they get UV, that problem disappears and my interest level may improve.

Barney said:
That Fire TV will NOT let you get Watch ESPN without a cable subscription. Read that in the description of the unit there on Amazon.
No device will let you watch WatchESPN without a subscription.

Small quibble... I wonder what it would take to loose the remote all-together. I love the idea of "smart" voice control via Alexa or Siri but I'm not wild about having to speak into the mic on the remote.

With Alexa I just state "Alexa" and she hears me wherever I am in the room. As long as my voice is clear enough for the mics on the device, she responds perfectly. I don't think you have to hold the mic to your face and talk. It should hear you just fine while sitting on the table or sofa.

That said, the point about losing the remote is a real concern. But we don't lose out phones, right?

This box doesn't have the mic array that the stand-alone Echo so you HAVE to use the mic on the remote.

My ideal device has the ability to listen as well as Echo, is as smart as Siri, has the selection and features of Roku, and has an HDMI input and an IR blaster to control my cable box.

Towen7 said:
This box doesn't have the mic array that the stand-alone Echo so you HAVE to use the mic on the remote.

Ah, 21st-century problems! :teasing-tease: (while I still pick out letters on a grid to find a show on my Roku 2. That doesn't even match a typewriter. Which is SO much more convenient than driving to the Blockbuster video store for a VHS rental. Which is SO.... you get it). :mrgreen:

I had to carefully read the entire link Flint posted before finally finding:
With Dolby Audio, enjoy rich cinematic surround sound, consistent quality via HDMI (up to 7.1).
I've been wanting an Echo-type device that plays multichannel, or at least stereo, music for my HT setup; this looks like it's finally here. I'll take Scott's word and wait until the Roku 4 comes out, but I will be buying something before xmas. :banana-dance:

I'm starting to just watch all these "extras"...Roku, Fire TV, etc. Now that I have a smart TV with all these apps & I haven't even checked the app store (saw an app for Filipino programming). But there are apps not supported on the Samsung, Crunchyroll for example, which my son watches anime.

If you already have an Echo device, will the two "talk" to each other so you don't need the remote mic?

Here's my question...

My Echo is in the kitchen and the TV that would get this new Fire TV with Alexa would be in the family room which is open to the kitchen. If I say "Alexa, play the next episode of Longmire" which device will respond? Both the Fire TV remote and the Echo will hear it.

I prefer the approach of hitting a button on a remote and then talking. It reduces the possibility of unwanted chaos.

Had the new Fire delivered today for my wife's room. Simple to set up and Alexia is my new best friend. :happy-smileygiantred: only downloaded Nexflix and Disney for Grandkids. Then she says thanks time to watch General Hospital via DVR. WTF... :shock:

^Next time you're on Amazon, hit the book section and pick this up.

Understanding-Women.jpg

Oh she'll see it. And I'll pay the price. But thankfully that topic was covered in Volume 26. :handgestures-thumbup:

Back