• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

BR Picture Quality??

Rope said:
That all depends on your equipment's ability to up convert 480p to 720-1080p. It's much easier for equipment to down convert (eliminate lines of resolution 1080p to 480 - 720p) than it is to up convert (interpolate/add lines of resolution, 480p to 1080p).

Be selective in choosing the disc you replace. A quick search online will give you some idea whether or not it worth the price of admission.

Rope
:text-+1:

Some movies known for their eye-candy can really benefit from higher resolution. Others, such as comedy, drama and musical, it may not be worth the extra cost if sold that way.

You also have to remember that when Bluray first came on the scene there were a few titles released that looked no better than DVD (The Fifth Element had to be re-released because the initial release was so bad). In fact for awhile studios were allowing you to mail the Bluray cover and they'd send you the re-release free via mail. I recall the day I first met Razz telling him he bought the original crappy version and he contacted the studio who mailed him the re-release of The Fifth Element.

I agree its still hit or miss. I still buy Blurays that look no better than their DVD versions.

This gets to the root of why I don't mind taking the marginal quality hit of Vudu HDX. With the exception of the very best of the best Blu-Rays, there is little if any noticeable difference. For the(sadly) rare case of the really well-done Blu-Ray, I'd rather have the disc.

Back