• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

BD Demo Material - Recommended Scenes

I recall back in the s&v days you guys made a demo disc of great movie scenes with dts sound. Barney sent me one then. May he rest in peace. I guess it is next to impossible to make one again using the blu ray format.

Bump... (and sad/nostalgic to read a post above with Barney mentioned he was such a great contributor and great company across multiple forums over the years).

(I guess this is the opposite of good demo material)

I played a bluray disc of one of the Underworld movies with Kate Beckinsale. I think it was the 4th installment Awakening. During several scenes with loud rear channel effects, explosions, gunfire, etc. there was bad rear channel distortion on the DTS-MasterHD soundtrack. When I switched to the standard old school 5.1 track it was fine. And it was not volume dependent... the distortion was there even at modest levels on the DTS-Master-HD track. I tested other DTS-Master-HD encoded movies with similar bombastic rear channel effects and no issues so it's not my surround processor having trouble with processing the format or something strange like that. Anyone ever hear anything like this with bluray soundtracks in this format?

This is the disc in question

Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 2.38.29 PM.png

LOL I did some Google searching on the subject of DTS Master HD audio distortion and this post came up on the first page. But as it turns out there are a lot of reports of similar issues of clipping sounds and distortion under various circumstances and combination of equipment when playing this format. So thankfully it's not just me or some major processing issue with my system. Will keep reading and snooping around. In the meantime I will just avoid this format so I don't damage any speakers.

Bump: Watched Dunkirk bluray last night with DTS-Master HD encoding and it had zero issues with rear channel distortion so I am thinking (and thankful) that this is probably a disc specific software issue and not anything wrong with my processor. But I will continue to be careful with SPL levels when first booting up any DTS-Master HD encoded disc in case it ever happens again. Dunkirk incidentally sounded and looked amazing. I am continually reminded that hanging onto my disc collection was a good choice. I probably stream 9/10 movies that I watch just out of convenience but IMO there still is no comparison.

Back