• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

$500 or below speakers.

Xgm3

Looking for recommendations. I won a $500 Amazon gift card at work and I'm going to buy some speakers. These will be used while watching TV. I have a receiver so I'm covered there.

If you didn't have an amp I was going to recommend the Audio Engine A5.

For passive speakers I like most everything from Paradigm and Klipsch in that price range. It is hard to compete with their scales of manufacturing.

Oh, and always, I recommend a higher quality two way speaker with better drivers and acoustics over a similarly priced three-way or four-way speaker with cheaper drivers and less ideal acoustics.

I would argue a $500 set of bookshelf speakers from a higher quality product line will be more enjoyable over the long haul than a pair huge towers with loads and loads of cheap ass drivers in them at the same price.

I'm going to get the Audio Engine A5 and let the receiver collect dust in the closet. I assume I need this 1555119359298.png to connect it to the TV? There's no RCA or headphone jack just optical on the TV.

That should work.

I use a similar cheapo DAC for my TV in my second system and it works perfectly.

My Audioengind A5+ are pretty killer little speakers. Although they dont get a lot if use.

I decided to buy the Monolith 10 inch instead of the audio engine a5's.
1555428038472.png
My SVS sub I've had since 2006. The audio engines I was going to buy were going to be setup in another room instead of my main HT so they would not have gotten much use.

Very interesting. Please do post your thoughts once it's up and running. I feel like my sub game could be improved and this may be just the ticket.

Very interesting. Please do post your thoughts once it's up and running. I feel like my sub game could be improved and this may be just the ticket.
Will do. I thought for $499 and using my $500 gift card it would be worth checking out.

In the grand tradition of our forum...

nhxu5.jpg

Back