• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

WiiM Pro streamer

mcad64

I have ordered this Audio Streamer to replace a Squeezebox as I have been having problems with the Squeezebox dropping signal and constantly rebuffering. While the problems with the Squeesebox could be on my end with settings I am going to give this new streamer a try. I had thought(very seriously) about the Bluesound Node 2i on the used market, when I started reading about the Wiim Mini. The Mini is the cheaper version of the Wiim Pro. Would have bought the Mini only I wanted Ethernet and Coax digital out and so had to move up to the Pro to get those features. The pro has a better processor and more ram but the same Dacs as the Mini.
No readout like the Squeezebox, but truth be told, with my crap eyes I couldn't read it it half the time anyway. Plus, everything nowadays is controlled by phone app anyway!!
DACS supposedly not that great but I don't plan on using the DACS in the streamer anyway.
It is $99US for the Mini and $149US for the Pro on Amazoid.
This is the first new piece of audio(ish) gear I have bought in a very long time.
Wish me luck.
Mike

Hey Mike, how do you like your Wiim?
I'm looking for a way to push wifi music (Apple, amazoid) into my 13-year-old receiver. I did recently get the newest apple TV, but it has to go directly into my Bravia rather than thru my receiver because the receiver's HDMI output stage no longer outputs. I thought about just getting a second Apple TV (same price as the Wiim) but having two ATVs in the same room will no doubt bring up other problems.
Let me know, thanks!

Well you aren't going to be happy with my review!! It works and I like it!!!
I don't mean to be flippant. At this point in my life I just want things to plug in and work. The squeezebox kept dropping the signal, probably because crappy wifi...who knows. Can I say the lows are low and the highs are high, and everything sounds crystal clear and so much better than the Squeezebox...no. BUT...it works...every time.
Truth be told, our household is changing and a LOT of my listening is now done over headphones. So the WiiM can take music from my NAS drive and send it out over bluetooth to my headphones , it can only output SBC and AAC. No AptX HD or LDAC. That is the holy grail for me. WiiM is quite good about listening to community suggestions. Apparently the Sony LDAC bluetooth protocal is software based so it seems WiiM could maybe implement it. AptX and AptxHD I think need a hardware chip. But I digress!!
So....in closing...I bought a device to replace my Squeezebox which it does quite well.

Cool - exactly what I was interested in - is it finicky or isn’t it? Sounds like it isn’t- which is where I am in life as well. Thanks!

Thanks Mike. Wiim has now put out a Wiim Pro Plus that's $220, and a couple of the audiophile channels I follow on ewetube claim that its DAC circuitry is audibly better (these aren't the $12,000 cable guys).
But, for $380 more, I could just replace my 14-yr-old Yamaha receiver with the Yamaha RX-V6A, which received Apple Airplay and Wifi directly, and I could plug my new Apple TV directly into the new receiver with 4K, and could lose the separate turntable pre-amp I have to use currently, and...

Or, I could continue to hem-n-haw about it until I end up on my deathbed, as I seem to be doing... :rolleyes: Sigh.

Thanks Mike. Wiim has now put out a Wiim Pro Plus that's $220, and a couple of the audiophile channels I follow on ewetube claim that its DAC circuitry is audibly better (these aren't the $12,000 cable guys).
But, for $380 more, I could just replace my 14-yr-old Yamaha receiver with the Yamaha RX-V6A, which received Apple Airplay and Wifi directly, and I could plug my new Apple TV directly into the new receiver with 4K, and could lose the separate turntable pre-amp I have to use currently, and...

Or, I could continue to hem-n-haw about it until I end up on my deathbed, as I seem to be doing... :rolleyes: Sigh.
I give you permission to go OUT and buy yourself that RX-V6A. Consider it my Christmas present to you Botch. Merry Christmas!!

Back