• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Triple Package

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
A pretty fascinating discussion on GPS this morning with the authors of this book:

41tBhnqvpdL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The married couple, while in Harvard Law School, noticed that certain groups, both ethnic and religious, seemed to do much better in the school, disproportionate to the population. The three they noticed were a) Asian-americans, b) mormons, and c) Nigerians. Upon graduation they got a grant and started a study trying to find out why, or if there were similarities between these three that gave them the leg-up; there were. They are:

1. A sense of Exceptionality. This can come from ethnic beliefs (Asian americans, it was fascinating to learn that first-generation Asians get about a 140-point advantage on aptitude tests against the overall average, but that advantage completely disappears in 3rd-generation Asians!), religious beliefs (mormons), or achievement beliefs (Nigerians in American law schools come from extremely successful families)
2. A sense of Insecurity. This kinda seems to negate #1 and they didn't spend hardly any time on it, and
3. Strength in Delayed Gratification, the ability to hold back, and waiting for what's important. They cited an unusual study that took place over 30 years ago, and just recently came to an end. A scientist tested many children, setting a marshmallow in front of them and telling them, "If you can wait 15 minutes before eating this marshmallow, you will get a second one!" They were then left alone. Some kids could wait, and some couldn't. That scientist decided to track those kids over the years, and almost to a person, the ones that could wait were noticeably more successful in later life.

The authors said that all three of the above conditions must be met to make a real difference; and their book discusses that these traits CAN be learned. I've added it to my Basket, sounds like a fascinating read.

Your post reminded very much of Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers - which was published almost three years prior.

It would be interesting to see how much their content / observations / conclusions overlap.

Two of Outliers' chapters ("Rice Paddies and Math Tests" and "A Jamaican Story") tackle the first point.

I think two others ("The Trouble With Geniuses, Part 1" and "The Trouble With Geniuses, Part 2") are likely a different approach / perspective, on the third point.

After reading a few similar works, I've concluded that, while they make for good (and in some cases fascinating) reading, they are in fact the antithesis of "self-help" books. Not that I was looking for any! :) (The takeaway from Gladwell is that self-made success is pretty much BS; that in almost every case imaginable (from Bill gates to NHL all-stars) "success" is the result of numerous specific factors (dates, ethnicity, locales, etc.) that form the perfect success storm.)

Jeff

Attachments

• 41h5QL0vVEL__SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    41h5QL0vVEL__SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,235
I've read What the Dog Saw and have his latest, but haven't read Outliers yet. Thanks for the info!

The Triple Package was written by the same woman that wrote Tiger Mom which caused a bit of an uproar a year or two ago.

Back