• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Northman Trailer

Warning Mild Spoilers In These Responses...

1. Yeah Lighthouse was about as wacky as I have seen from Eggers... very cryptic mythological story telling. And yes Dafoe was pretty scary in this one. Of all of Eggers (three) movies I have seen so far Lighthouse is the least traditional/most experimental it took a lot of brain power just to absorb and process it. But it was powerful and stuck with me for sure.

2. IMO The Witch is just one of the best pure horror movies to come out in a long time. So much tension and dread without any gratuitous nonsense just perfect period accurate fear and hysteria... which I think might explain some of what you described in The Northman and IMO might be a recurring theme in Egger's flicks...

3. ...my theory is that Eggers tends to leave some deliberate mysteriousness or vagueness to some of the story to effectively convey the fear of the unknown that characters might have had from a given historical period... so we can feel a little of the same as viewers. Whether it was the Puritan fear of witchcraft in The Witch or the fear/euphoria in The Northman about ascending to Valhalla these things are IMO left not fleshed out completely on screen or fully explained so that we can have some empathy for this situation. Eggers uses a lot of wild symbolism to depict what these characters might have been envisioning in these moments. It's pretty creative and effective IMO. Bottom line is this guy is making really solid heavy movies and I really like that he does not feel obligated to explain every little thing. I hope this will continue to be a big part of his story telling style.

oh so true!

1. i guess i wont be watching that for a while. can you believe i watched morbius and kinda had a nightmare about it? that i finished the movie and actually wasted 2 years of my life and not able to get it back? seriously, i ended up doing a dream sequence of the flying bat scene.

2. the witch is one of those, i wanted to watch it, watched it, and now want to unwatch it. the guys voice by the way, make him a preacher and it'll make believers out of everyone that THERE IS A F*CKING HELL.

3. i can see that. in a solid 180 you can tell his difference in both movies tho, raw and almost unforgiving in the witch... while in northman, you can see he floats a bit on conveying his message in a more lavish, buttery, er... flowery(?) method. certain scenes which are pretty obvious parades you his message, others, like the 'transformation into wolves moshpit' before the invasion scene, takes the scene to another level. he IS unforgiving, and in a way, pretty compelling. is he like wes anderson? werner herzog? heck even johnnie to?

for the better i hope that the world can commit to watching his material grow, give him the chance to fulfill his directoral movement without influence or sway from the masses like hollywood tends to do.

Back