• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Stupid cheap Class-D amp for non-critical listening...

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
My amazing, but 8 year old, Topping VX-1 amplifier with USB digital audio amplifier died a few days ago, so I needed a solution for my office rig.

So, I decided to experiment with budget stuff. I'd seen these for awhile on various sites and decided to give it a chance.
It is a cheap, Chinese, digital amp that claims to be capable of 50W output. It has a USB PC input as well as BlueTooth and a line-level audio input. Since my office PC has 5" fullrange drivers placed about 18 inches from my head, it would be extremely rare I'd need more than 2 watts even at extreme SPLs.
I got this little beast, plugged it in, got it working, and low and behold, it is amazing!
I did some quick measurements and this tiny thing has wide bandwidth, flat response, and plenty of output for this extremely nearfield application.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 71jrqt1S9SL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71jrqt1S9SL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 4
Awesome that it has a "usb sound" input, those are so rare. :tonguewink:

I got an Aiyima AO7 for the same purpose and i could say it is pretty decent sounding too.

I've got a cheap little $15 Chinese digital amp that I bought for the garage. It is amazing how decent these things are, considering what they cost.

I also own three amps made by Fosi that I absolutely love. They are definitely more expensive and overkill for Flint's application (I'd have done what he did), but the build quality is top-notch and they have a decent product line. The one I bought for my current speaker project has a 50x2 amp for the speakers and a 100x1 amp for a sub, along with subwoofer level and crossover controls. The one in my office has a line-level subwoofer out and a digital display. The one I use on my back porch is just an old-school bare-bones amp with volume and tone controls. All of them are really nice and all of them were under $140.

Back